PayPal is blocking me from withdrawing/using money!!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

Well, its official, I can not withdraw money or use money in my PayPal account because they have "limited" my account! sad

In order to withdraw more than 500.00 USD a month, I need to upgrade my account. I attempted to apply for a PayPal Mastercard and it requested my Social Security number.

I typed in my Social Security number and it said it can not be verified. It is the correct number -- I did not type it in wrong.

Since it could not be verified, Paypal limited my account because they can not verify my identity. Now I can not even take out a penny or purchase anything!sad

I had a similar problem buying books using Financial Aid when I went to College and I believe it had something to do with m Social Security number "not being able to be verified."

Anybody have any idea why my Social can not be verified?

I will add that my Dad blocked his social whenever Nigerians hacked into his Ebay account years ago. But he says his Social is not relevant to mine, but we both have the same name

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Australia so don't know if this is relevant.

But it said I was verified when I hooked up a working savings account to my paypal. And also they requested proof of identity so I sent them a scanned copy of a phone bill and my driver's licence. Can you do anything like that?

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also have to provide a photo ID and stuff, however, they still need my social security number regardless, and it can not be verified for some reason.

(I tried upgrading account).

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the moral is - don't verify your account until you really, really need to withdraw more than $500 a month. 

I have never done it, because if you verify your bank account with Paypal you give them access to it.  That means they can not only pay into your account, but also withdraw money from it without asking you.

I've known sellers who had money withdrawn from their account because a buyer complained (unfairly) about a product.  I was an eBay seller at one time and didn't want to risk that, so I just never verified.

I find I can manage just fine with the limit (it's $700 in Oz).  I do have money sitting in my Paypal account, but I can use it to buy stuff - plus if I start building up too much of a balance, I just "buy" something from my husband. smile

I don't know anything about US Social security numbers, but it sounds like you have a fundamental problem with the number - have you asked the relevant govt department?

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see what you mean, but my account is more limited now than it was before. PayPal is blocking me from buying and withdrawing money (even if it's a penny).

No, I guess I will have to go to Social Security Office -- hopefully they know what's going on...

I just don't understand why PayPal would let me withdraw money before (500 per month), but the minute my social security number can not be verified they limit access. A security protocol I assume?

I just think it's strange because if there actually was a person who hacked into my account they could still withdraw 500 per month as long as they don't try and get a premium account.

2. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa I do see your point - however I use an account specifically set up for paypal and a few small other things - it rarely has more than $150 in it.

Hubby did have a buyer complaint once and they held $300, but they held it on our actual paypal account, not our bank account.

2. David 470 profile image81

Marisa,

I think my account is already considered verified -- I just don't have the premium account or whatever it's called.

3. David 470 profile image81

UPDATE:

I have no idea what is going on with my Social Security Number. I went to Social Security a while ago, but they said every thing is fine with my SSN. They said it is possible that a credit card company could have a block on it, but they themselves, said they can NOT put blocks on SSN.

I never owned a credit card and this is not idenity theft because everything is fine with my bank.

My Dad, however, has the same name and put a password on his Social Security Number before. Not entirely sure what that means -- it sounds like a block. But he does not seem to think it has anything to do with me. But I did have problems getting books in college in 2010 (the year my Dad put a password on his SSN).

Anyone have any idea why my social security number can not be verified?

This is bad because I can not get paid from HubPages and also can not withdraw money from PayPal or use it to buy things online.

I have to prove my idenity with paypal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)