New Profile Design is Available

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (284 posts)
  1. Claudia Tello profile image67
    Claudia Telloposted 11 years ago

I have uploaded an image for the background of my new profile design, but, for some reason, it is not showing the full image, just a fraction of it (the upper-left-corner), why is that?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The image is either too small or too big. You need one of the right size

1. Claudia Tello profile image67
        Claudia Telloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It can also be too small? I know it has to be smaller than 2000kB, because I tried with other images and a window with this instruction appeared. My picture is 1.48MB, which according to me is 1480kB. What would be the lower limit then?

2. timorous profile image80
      timorousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should either use a small, pattern image that can be tiled over the whole background (you can check 'Tile' when you assign a background image). That sort of image needs to be fairly random, or it just looks stupid.

The other option is to make it a single image, at least 1024 pixels wide, I think it said. Try and make the image file size as small as you can, and still look decent. 72dpi is adequate resolution for a web page image. Use .jpg image format, but not too compressed, if you have a choice in your photo editing software.

The reason being..large photos take longer to load when someone arrives at your profile page (or any page with lots of images).

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Alas, I am still on my quest to find the perfect background pic... big_smile

3. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 11 years ago

I'm fine with the new profile design, for the most part. However there are a few things that need attention. First of all 'Recent Images' is pointless. Unless the hub is a photo gallery, most of the images we put in our hubs is a placeholder to add some relevant visual interest to the page. If they're taken out of context as they are in the 'Recent Images', it just looks stupid.

The other thing is..some of us are not as active in the forums as others. Therefore, it makes no sense to have (now) irrelevant forum comments from more than a year ago, showing up in the Forums tab. Maybe let us have a choice of showing only the last 1, 3 or 6 months of forum activity.

The 'Others you might like..' section is pointless as well. The 3 I see on mine are not anyone I would recommend. Wouldn't it be better to have a random cycling of hubbers that we are currently following? Seems to me they'd be more 'recommendable' than someone with 0 hubs, like I have now.

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your suggestions are valid (or so I think). Here's hoping they get some attention and you get an answer from the HP team.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Then why not make it look like you want it to look?  The updated profile will showcase your hubs in a way that the old profile does not.  And I doubt very much if your profile will cause a change in your traffic.  Most searches go directly to a hub. 

If you're concerned about your profile bio, you can still keep it as it is, it will open to show more if a reader is interested. 

While I don't think the profile change has anything to do with it, my traffic has increased since I updated.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely true.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

The new profile has been instituted on my site, as promised on the blog.

6. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 11 years ago

DON'T LIKE IT.

Don't like how I can't search on a profile for hubs I know were written by that hubber, but can't quite remember the title or have the link saved.

DON'T LIKE IT.

DON'T LIKE IT.

1. JayeWisdom profile image89
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I HATE IT.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You might like to add your voice to this thread, which HubPages staff have ignored.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/103546

From talking to Simone, it seems unlikely they're going to change it, but at least they could give us the courtesy of an explanation.

7. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

It seems that the "images" section displays not only those used in hubs, but also those appearing in forum posts. That will typically display someone's stats graph or a screen-captured bug. While I am aware that forum images are public, I don't want them to be featured on my profile page!

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1
      The images that are showing on mine are only the photos I uploaded in the forums.  I had deleted them in my photo file but they're still appearing on my profile page.

I love flowers, so I will just post flowers in the forums. smile

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7212455_f248.jpg

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This I find to be a very disturbing aspect.

Suppose I post an image in good faith somewhere on HP and then find I am in breach of copyright. I can remove the image from my personal gallery, however, it will still be shown on my profile gallery and could possibly leave me under threat of legal action.

8. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

You can delete images by going to your accounts page.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I mentioned above, I HAVE deleted images from the gallery via my account page. However, they CONTINUE to appear in the profile. For example, I have deleted all three "recent images" showing on my profile from my galley, but they are STILL appearing on my profile.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
        Rosie2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1  same here.

adding another of my own flower image

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7212623_f248.jpg

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry WriteAngled, I should have read the previous posts before jumping in with an answer. I did it  from the feed and not the forum.

3. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have just in the last couple of days had a hair-raising experience which I hope the staff may use to rethink the practice of showing all photos on the profile page.  It came about this week because I waited until the very last minute to change over to the new profile.

In the past I have not paid much attention to my "photo gallery" even though there has been ample opportunity to do so before now. When I saw the photos on my profile page - two of which had only been posted in forums, but legally (Creatve Commons), as I recall - I decided to look through my gallery.

Imagine my concern, when I saw that in a recent upload I had accidentally uploaded a photo from my hard drive which displayed some personal information that I don't want to share. I was not even aware that I had uploaded it. I assume now that I had clicked on the wrong photograph number at the time (the name of the jpg file) and had been in such a hurry that I didn't pay attention to the details of the photograph.

In a bit of a panic, I shot off a pleading e-mail to team@hubpages.com, explaining the situation and asking them to delete the photo.  Next, I went back to the gallery and saw that I could delete the photo myself - to some extent - by clicking on the X at the bottom of the thumbnail.  When I checked back later, that photo was no longer visible in the gallery. Since it had not been used anywhere - in a Hub, a forum post, an answer, etc. - it was possible for me to remove it from my gallery. So I sent off another e-mail of appreciation.

Later I received a response which helped to clarify some things for me. I think. neutral  They explained that I had indeed deleted the photo from my gallery (since it had not been used anywhere), but that only the staff could delete it from the servers, and they have now done so. I'm very grateful for their help in the matter.

But I would like for my experience to serve as a cautionary tale to everyone else:  Check your photos. Don't make assumptions. Delete unnecessary ones from your gallery, so that the rest can be more manageable. Don't ever make any mistakes, LOL hmm.

I further hope that the staff will consider the problems that can arise from the fact that when we first uploaded our photos (pre-new-profile), they were intended for a specific use (aside from accidents like mine), and that use may not have included public display.  I would strongly hope that they will introduce a feature (soon!) to allow us to block some photos from appearing on our profile pages, something like a check-box to allow or disallow that specific photo, usable on an individual basis.

1. agvulpes profile image85
          agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree with you more smile  In my opinion the "photos' section of our account needs a good work over.  I had a similar experience as yourself the only difference being that an 'image' appeared on my 'recent' list that I had never uploaded, apparently it came from a Forum that I commented on.  There are some images that I don't particularly want the 'public' to see other than on Hubs so I can't  'delete' them, can I?

9. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

3rd flower photo - ALL my own photos

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7212630_f248.jpg

10. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I tried to make the switch myself to the new profile, and failed. Then a few days later, without my asking anybody, it just appeared. I have to say, to me, it's a great improvement, and I am extremely pleased with it. The way the different functions are located makes more sense than before. It showcases the hubs in a more eficient way, visually more pleasing too. And I was able to select my own picture to use as a back ground. What's not to like, really ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)