Rogue fake survey link

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (19 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Is there an update or something going on? About 30 minutes ago, a Norton window popped up warning me to close down and get off the site immediately. I had to go out but came right back in. Very weird. Before that I was attempting to leave a comment and another window with a large comment box popped up. On the left side, there was a message saying don't use comments to promote your hubs and that comments are supposed to be supportive (parphrased). I felt scolded :-) I've never done that. I was able to leave my comment. Is something being updated? It also seems rather quiet, no traffic from hubbers. Maybe cause it's Saturday night?? I've been hubbing now for 12 days and it's never been this slow.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

janshares

So is the issue is related to a Norton program giving you a warning?
      What Norton program?  My guess would be security suite or anti-virus.

The other message you saw sounds like it is our message that may have displayed if you posted several comments in a short period of time.

jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Matt. It only happened once so I guess it was my anti-virus issue, I don't know. Remember I'm tech-challenged. Oh, didn't know about posting too many comments. So many rules. By the way, I just tried to send an email to associates who would be interested in a topic I wrote, usung the short url on each hub. Is this OK? The first one opened ok but second said that a hubpage rule may have been violated and would open the article. I hope I didn't embarrass myself.

Sorry, typo "wouldn't open the article."

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70

So what is the issue you are describing?
          You sent a short URL for your Hub to someone via email and they had trouble opening it?

When and where did you see the "hubpage rule may have been violated" message you described?

I would suggest sending the full URL via email for that user.

Yes, they couldn't open it. I checked it myself in my sent box which is where i saw the hub window about violations when I clicked on the url. The first screen was mostly empty with the text in the left hand upper corner. then the message came on hub letterheaed, if you will. I sent a different one earlier, the same way, without a problem.

2. janshares profile image94

I just check hub violations and I have none. ?????????

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

It sounds like you are posting about several unrelated issues that don't appear to be bugs. 

Can you please provide the URL for the Hub about which you are inquiring?

http://hub.me/ae5jb
                Sorry, I'm asking about stuff that I should be asking elsewhere. Thanks for the help with the bug issue.

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 11 years ago

Something weird just happened to me also while onsite.  I was on my stats page and clicked earnings and a window opened telling me I was chosen to take part in an anonymous survey about HubPages.  the link is below but disabled.

ht tp://servr3.com/xa/?tid=61851&tkw=hubpages.com

Am scanning my computer even as I type this.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I checked out the domain name. They appear to not be evil.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It requires taking a survey.  I hate those things.  What I can't figure out is how it happened.  I also see certain words in our posts here that are links, similar to Kontera links.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh-oh. HP obviously isn't putting those there...

For starters, if it was me, I'd completely clean out the temp files and browser cache.

Anything beyond that, Norton will have to save your...

Though, AVG, downloadable from CNET, has impressed me.

2. janshares profile image94

Thanks for reply, I'm super tech-challenged so I hope all is well.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Those don't look like surveys we are running, but I'm going to check to make sure.

If anyone sees it again, can you try to take a screenshot?

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I got that survey too, but I know I have a stubborn malware problem.  I can;t seem to root it out.  It also adds hyperlinks to pages that shouldn't be there.

5. Matthew Meyer profile image70

@SirDent

I just confirmed that it is not something we are running.
      Is anyone else seeing it?
      My hunch would be that it is malware that is using cookie data to generate a pop-up that uses a site you visit to look more genuine.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I removed all add-ons from Chrome and it is working great right now.  I think that may have been my problem.

Interesting. I just added google chrome on my pc same week I joined hubpages, about two weeeks ago. I wll try that, thanx.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)