Comments disappeared today

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. James A Watkins profile image86
    James A Watkinsposted 11 years ago

I published a new Hub this morning:
    http://james-a-watkins.hubpages.com/hub … n-HubPages

Around 11:15 I noticed it had half a dozen comments already. I remember the first one was from GPage.  I thought I would respond to them after lunch. About forty-five minutes later I logged on and they were gone! 
    Now I see I have some comments up there that have come in since then but at least the first 6 have vanished!

1. lrc7815 profile image81
      lrc7815posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed these little flukes for several days in other places.  For instance, I've watch my total views drop by 5 right before my eyes when my stats page was refreshed.  Yesterday I watched my earnings drop my 12 cents when the account page was refreshed.  I've afraid I have no answers but thought perhaps someone from HP will read your thread and find a correlation.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I looked at your Hub and see several comments.
      It is possible that users deleted their own comments or that they were removed due to the comments from that IP being flagged by other users as SPAM.

Do you have any examples of users and/or comments that you believe are missing?

I just refreshed my account page and watched again while my views for the day went from 105 to 74.  Is that normal?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Views are for the previous 24 hours not by a specific day.  So they can go u and down.

Thanks!  I'm still trying to figure all this technology out.  :-)

2. James A Watkins profile image86
        James A Watkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for responding. If you look at the first person who commented on my Hub, at her Activity Page:
        http://gpage.hubpages.com/#activity

You see it says she made a comment that is "unapproved."  Well, it was not unapproved by me. I do not unapprove any comments and I have no unapproved comments in my comments history log.  Her comment and at least 5 or 6 after hers simply vanished. 

I only remember hers because when I saw her name it struck a chord in me because we used to comment on each others Hubs a lot a year or two ago and it was a surprise to hear from her. But there were several others besides hers that I do not recall their names. I left to eat lunch and when I came back they were all gone!
        I do see that I have comments there now but there were many that disappeared. If it happened on this Hub did it happen on others of mine? How about other Hubs of other Hubbers? I am saying that something is wrong here because in my 3 1/2 years on HubPages this has never happened before that I am aware of.  You see the problem: GPAGE thinks that I disapproved her comment, and that is not true. :-)
        James

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

@James

Our word usage on the site seems to be the point of confusion.

There was a comment was deleted by the posting user.
          We use disapproved as a blanket indicator that the comment is not published.

This means that deleted, spam, and comment you activity disapprove will all say "unapproved"

Mr. Meyer:
            I very much appreciate your response. Thank you. I must not have articulated the situation very well. Please allow me to restate what happened.
            I published a new Hub about 11:00 am Central Time. About 20 minutes later I looked at my "Comments Page" and there were 5 or 6 comments there waiting for my approval ON THE HUB I JUST PUBLISHED. I noticed the first one was GPAGE.  I did nothing as I was on my way out the door to lunch.  When I got back home about 45 minutes later, I was going to approve the comments and respond to them (I respond to all comments I receive).  I went to my "Comments Page" and the 5 or 6 comments that were there 45 minutes earlier were GONE, DISAPPEARED. 
            I went to GPAGE's "Activity Page" and there in her activity it said she made an "unapproved comment" on my Hub.  I spoke with her about it and she said the comment was there on my Hub and now it has DISAPPEARED.  Two other ladies have since written to me and said their comments on my Hub ALSO DISAPPEARED and on their "Activity Pages" it said "unapproved."  It did not say "Comment deleted by User."
            I am not dreaming this up. I have received over 33,000 comments on my Hubs. I know what I am talking about. You have or had a glitch in your system. There is no doubt about it. Is there no way to look at your master acitivity log at the times I mentioned and see GPAGE's comments and the others that are missing in action? 
            james a watkins

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

I understand what you are saying.

As I stated before the comment you mentioned was deleted by the user.
              If you have another specific comment that you think is missing we can look into it, but at this point I see no evidence that there is a issue with the comment system.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Hi James,

I posted a comment to your Davey Crockett hub, and saw it was no longer there.  I just thought you may not have like it and deleted it, and that is okay.  But now I an wondering too, as it was a good comment, so I thought?

I am sorry to hear this. I do not disapprove of ANY comments people make about my Hubs. And I do not even screen them first. They appear right away.
      Your note means that this is happening on other Hubs as well.  I had noticed that my number of comments is way down from the past.
      Thank you!

1. Caleb DRC profile image75
        Caleb DRCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

James, do you think hubpages is doing this to save memory?  I remember when we could bookmark hubs within our sites but now we must bookmark within our computers. I assume they did that to save memory.  I may have to mail them some cassette tapes to help them out.

Our views and income dropping is something I was not aware of either. For Pete's sake, if my income drops I'll be owing them money!!!

1. teaches12345 profile image78
          teaches12345posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The drop in income could be to how google is now sending out SE on the hub posts.  As it learns to read the articles, it will adapt to what needs to be posted for traffic.  I think.

1. Caleb DRC profile image75
            Caleb DRCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Teaches12345, thankyou for responding. I appreciate it.

2. James A Watkins profile image86

I don't think so. I don't think this was done intentionally. I think there was a glitch in the system. And I wonder if it didn't also happen to other Hubbers?  Or to other Hubs of mine? My biggest concern is that the people got their comments stamped "unapproved" and as the lady above said, it makes them feel like I didn't like their comments when in fact I didn't read them.

3. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 11 years ago

Very odd indeed. Lately I've gotten all confused. Quite a few times I've commented then looked to see my comments and replies and no comment. Then I comment again and it is posted. OK But other times I comment and there are now two comments from me as the previous one which disappeared has shown up. Wow talk about confused. Does anyone know what's going on?

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know this doesn't address James A Watkins's issue, but when you submit a comment, you get five minutes to change it. If the hubber has elected to monitor/approve comments before they appear, then your comment will not be visible until the hubber approves your comment. I've done the same as you once or twice...gone back to look at my comment only to not find it where I KNOW I left it.

If this happens to you again, go to your "My Account" page, click "Activity" at the top, and the hub you commented on will show in the list that appears. However, no record of your comment to that hub will appear on the < My Activity list you can choose from your profile page until the hubber approves your comment.

4. jandee profile image80
    jandeeposted 11 years ago

James, I put a comment on your D.C hub but before I finished it we had visitors so I took it off,no time to finish it !
    Maybe you saw it then it was gone  eh!
    jandee--

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

What are the odds multiple people would delete comments and then lie about it?  Seems unlikely to me.  If they didn't delete them.... seems like a bug?

6. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

Amazing.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I'm not seeing the understanding.  The user in question is stating they didn't delete the comment.

8. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 11 years ago

James, not an uncommon thing to happen.  It occurred once when I tried to comment on your hub about Caitlin.  Comment disappeared!

The reason that was so notable is that I haven't been commenting on anyone's work much in the last three months.

Really!? How about that! I didn't know this was happening.  I usually go back to comments I have posted a few days later to see what response the author might have made and I have never seen one disappear before. That is interesting. Thank you for telling me. :-)

9. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

I have not noticed comments disappearing from my hubs but have noticed comments I posted not appearing on other hubs...I've chalked it up to an error on my part and re-posted...they then appear (same comment basically).    As was already stated, I see them when I go back to check what the author wrote about my comment.  Perhaps there are gremlins living on hubpages wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)