tips on how to increase traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. jamesbali profile image59
    jamesbaliposted 11 years ago

hello guys,

I have faced the same problem of low traffic to my hubs, but now I am trying to get backlinks to my hubs. I have signed up in many social bookmarking sites. I see some traffic coming through now; hopefully it will increase in the upcoming days.

1. derek gulbranson profile image78
      derek gulbransonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should probably think of writing on HubPages as more of a long-term investment. It would be pretty unusual for anyone to get significant traffic to any of their Hubs only 8 days after signing up. Even the most successful Hubbers generally wrote for months or sometimes even years before seeing really significant amounts of traffic. Getting search traffic is like roots growing on a tree, time is an important ingredient.

In the mean time, you could check out creating search-friendly titles or try using our Stellar Hub description as a guide. Though it's not especially easy to create Hubs of this quality, Hubs with these attributes do get significantly more traffic than the average Hub so it's a decent goal to shoot for.

2. PhlebotomyAdviser profile image64
      PhlebotomyAdviserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have to remember that backlinks and traffic take time. What you can do is first create great content that people are actually going to want to read. You always want to think about the end user and how what you are writing is going to benefit them. You can't get away with simply spinning articles or writing up junk.

After you post some great content, do what you can to generate quality backlinks with other quality articles and posts. It is a process and the results likely won't prove themselves for several months. Just stick with it.

2. Faith A Mullen profile image80
    Faith A Mullenposted 11 years ago

Derek - Thanks for this input! I am new to HubPages (about two weeks in) and it is great to know significant traffic may not happen for many months.

Wishing you the best jamesbali!

Welcome to HubPages, Faith. Looks like you're off to a good start.

One possible tip I noticed, you have a number of Hubs with titles in the second person. When people search, they are more likely to use the first person, e.g. "Is a Greyhound the right fit for me?"  Titles are pretty important, and making your titles match people's search queries can sometimes give you a big lift. The Title Tuner might be helpful for Hubs that have already gotten some traffic.

1. profile image0
        Miriam Weissmannposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Title Tuner looks like a fantastic gadget. If you ask me, getting a title that appeals to the search engines and real people at the same time is one of the hardest things to do on the web. That said, even if the title and every other SEO aspect is brilliant, you can't expect traffic from the search engines for six months at least. That's been my experience on my new Avon blog. It's not really that new, but I had an old one so I call the newer one the new one. Anyway, you're right about how long it takes Derek.

It takes a lot of time and patience. Since the first Panda update (my old Avon blog was hit really hard by Panda and never recovered), it's getting harder and harder and you've got to be very careful with backlinks. In my opinion, that's what killed my old Avon blog.

1. Faith A Mullen profile image80
          Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, that is helpful. I will definitely look into the Title Tuner.

2. DrMark1961 profile image94
          DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Derek it looks like Faith is trying to build up some interest in her hubs by titling many of them "Doggie Matchmaker...". I did the same thing by titling many hubs "Natural Dog Heath..." and Alexadry has many titled "Dog Behavior...". The other day Marisa Wright made a comment that Google looks down upon titles that are repeated. Is this correct? What about using "How to...", "Does my dog need..." titles? I cannot figure on a way to eliminate all of those types of titles.

From a User Experience Designer perspective my feedback would be "Doggie Matchmaker" and perhaps "Natural Dog Health" are probably not phrases people would type into Google with great frequency.  "Does my dog need..." and "How to..." seem more likely things people would type into Google. Matching the search phrase exactly probably counts for a lot. But people type searches in a lot of different ways.

I can't speak for Google's view of repeats in the titles. Google is interested in connecting people with what they are looking for, and avoiding what they aren't looking for. They measure their success by if and how long it takes the searcher to go back to Google and do another search. Repeats in your domain's title space could look like you're trying to play a keyword game, but something like "How to..." seems benign enough.

But in the end, how long can you keep people on the page with that title? Are you providing people looking for those things with the information that they are looking for? Titles are important, but if you can keep people on the page for 5 minutes, that's probably just as important. So I guess in my view, repeats may have some adverse affect if it looks like you're screwing around, but if you have what people are looking for that should outweigh a slightly un-optimized title. I may not be the best person to ask though.

1. janshares profile image93
              jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your posts have been very helpful, derek. Could you please give my titles a look-see? I have a recipe hub that gets mega traffic but my other hubs only get trickles of page views. Based on what I've learned, I'm not as optimized as I could be but I don't know why. I'd love a critique if you could please.

2. Faith A Mullen profile image80
              Faith A Mullenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Derek and DrMark. Lots to think about! I was attempting a sort of branding with the "Doggie matchmaker" inclusion, but will have to weigh out the pros and cons and optimize my titles.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a theory that Google dislikes repeated words in titles, because it could indicate duplicate content, spun articles or keyword stuffing - all of which it hates.  Of course it is just a theory, but since you will get no visitors unless you please Google first, it doesn't hurt to bear it in mind.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94

I had to laugh at the comment after the update yesterday. It seems I am getting few visitors even if I am pleasing Google. I cant figure out what else they want me to change!!!!!!!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is possible to "please Google" and still get few visitors. Perhaps the subject is one that not many people search for.  Or perhaps there are already too many other websites covering the same issue.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94

It might be a problem with the number of searchers. Many of my articles are on the first page, so I do not think it is a problem of too many websites, but even if they rank really well get less than 200/day. "Five dog breeds that dont bark, much" is rated number one with google but has never had over 200 views/day.
                      The only way I can see to increase my total page views is by increasing the total number of hubs. It was working for me, until yesterday!

2. Jayson Mirasol profile image59
      Jayson Mirasolposted 11 years ago

I thought there was something wrong when my traffic was not great, now im slowly learning, thx for the information guys. New hubber here

3. SylviaSky profile image94
      SylviaSkyposted 11 years ago

Yes, my numbers are way down today; for the first time in a year and a half, less than 200 people have visited. I have several number-one rankings on Google. Can anyone explain this? Usually Christmastime is a high-traffic time for my Hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)