Nuns and Priests

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Anyone who attended Catholic schools can attest to the discipline, sometimes harsh, that they received from the nuns and priests.   One man informed me that in his high school, the priests or brothers will regularly hit him for a minute infraction.   A woman I know relayed to me that a nun often spanked her for some unknown reason.   

To counter those with negative experiences, there are many others who had a wonderful and enriching counter with the nuns and priests.   One such women asserted that it was a special 11th grade teacher who informed her that she could do whatever she set her mind to doing.  Does anyone have any tales that they wish to relay regarding their Catholic school days?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

This wil be an interesting thread. Great topic!

I suspect that the "corporal punishment" that used to be SOP decades ago is no longer.
    Not even parents can spank their kids anymore!

I did not go to Catholic school But do remember in CCD classes an instructor named Sister Ronald. She would rap our knuckles with a ruler. That kind of discipline did not happen in my public school (at least, not that I witnessed).

My Mom went to Catholic high school (NH) but private college (MA)
    My Dad went to Catholic high school and Catholic college (NY).
    My brother went to Catholic high school and UC system college (CA).
    My oldest nephew is getting ready to graduate Catholic high school in CA  and go to a Catholic college in MD.
    His brother is now applying to the same Catholic high school. 

So we have multi-generational, bicoastal Catholic school experience.
    I heard nothing but good stories from my Dad.
    I think my Mom's experience was mixed.
    And the boys' school is modern and positive.
    Heck, if anyone was swatting her sons, I know my sister would come down on them like a ton of bricks!

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Mighty Mom.   The old mind keeps cranking them out! Yes, corporal punishment was quite de rigueur in Catholic school decades ago.   It was not unusual for children to be swatted for the most insignificant offense, at least in the eyes of the nuns and priests.   Nuns in the olden days were quite famous for not sparring the rod.   And if the child was corporally punished in school, chances are that he/she will receive the same or similar treatment at home.   Parents in those days believed the word of the nuns and priests over that of the child.    They seldom, if ever, came to the defense of the child.    If the child was punished that meant that he/she did something to warrant the punishment.    You are right, MM, this would be a great topic for one of my future hubs.   

I have done some reading regarding the abuse of children in Catholic schools decades ago.   Many of the nuns and priests were semiabusive to the children.    In Catholic schools, strict and unerring obedience were qualities that were greatly valued.  Children who were independent minded and/or otherwise "disobedient" to the strictures so to speak were severely punished either verbally or emotionally.   I attended a strict private Catholic school myself from elementary school to the university/college level.   I can attest to this.   Not for me-I was a teacher's pet throughout elementary school.   But woe to the children who were deemed to be "problematic"-such children caught HELL frequently.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You raise such an important point.
        The kids that were disciplined were probably not "bad" kids whatsoever.
        They might have been what we call these days, ADHD.
        Or simply just too independent thinking to accept the strict teachings without question.
        Who knows. They may have grown up to be free thinkers!

But you also raise another important point about the emotional stability of clergy and nuns.
        Not entirely sure that just because your calling is to God, that that makes you qualified to be around young kids in a consistently positive way...

Times have really changed.
        There are still a few of those old school priests lingering about. But I think, even as reluctant to change as the Church is, they have had to adapt to changing social mores and attitudes.
        Parents do spoil the child (and hover like helicopters) these days.
        And kids are savvy. If a teacher tries to get physical, other students will capture it on video.
        And they all know the term "CPS" (maybe not really understanding what it is) but certainly know adults are not allowed the kind of discipline we grew up with!

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to digress, Mighty Mom.   There were a group of middle aged women(my age) discussing problem children.  One of them stated that in the olden days, such children were disciplined, often spanked.   However, one of them interjected, stating that younger children would actually threaten to call Child Protective Services or Human Services if their parents ever laid a hand on them.     I remember in high school, one student loudly stated that if her parents hit her, she would call Human Services and have them imprisoned.   She asserted that her parents did not have rights over her. 

You are right that parents nowadays spoil their children to the utter point of ruination.  Employers are getting wind of the first wave of helicoptees in the work place.   These adult children are highly entitled and they believe that they are not wrong whatsoever.   They have poor judgment skills and are highly risk aversive.   I was reading an article about this the other day.     If the "children" found work to be intolerable, they could whine to their parents or quit their jobs.    I remember my parents telling me to tough things out and if I did not like the job at hand, stay there and look for something better.   You are right, there is a MARKED DIFFERENCE between how we boomers were raised and how the millenial generation was raised.   Good discussion, MM.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)