Warning question

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

Can anybody explain to me why writing an article about paying off credit card debt is a violation of the TOS?  I have been unable to find anything about this in the TOS or learning center, yet the warning appeared when I saved my article unpublished.  I've written to the team to ask about this, but would like to hear what y'all have to say.  Pretty frustrated right now!  Thanks.

1. somethgblue profile image73
      somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wrote an article about paying off credit card debt and didn't get any kind of warning, could it be that I'm just a better writer than you, Hmmm!

I guess I could go read your article but just really don't care that much.

1. somethgblue profile image73
        somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, I humbly ask for your apology as I mistook you for a fellow writer I disdain, if you ever get it published I will read it.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

somethingblue:  Apology accepted, and I thank you for offering it.

2. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not that Hubs on credit card debt are against our TOS; it's that because the internet is so flooded with articles on this subject, and because they're often spammy, our moderators need to approve them and have to hold them to a higher standard. We had to implement this change to contend with the Panda update, which looks upon such articles with a particularly harsh eye.

2. Learning in Life profile image87
    Learning in Lifeposted 11 years ago

They are very specific about how good of quality hubs about debt can be. It has to be an awsome hub.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Stupid me!  I missed the "click on the warning" notation that explained this, and now it makes sense.  Since I think this hub IS pretty good, I'm going to chance it.  We'll see what happens!

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there TT.

I did a Hubpages search on "Credit Card Debt." There have been around a dozen Hubs on this topic in the last five days. Even the the most spectacular hubs would have a tough time attracting readers with this over burdened subject.

Good luck with this hub, TT.  I hope your's proves to be an exceptional exception.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

Quilligrapher:  Well, I've been working on an extended series about personal money management and this fits my topic.  My intent is to help people here, and not to get rich and if this article even does that for a few folks, then it was worth my time.  Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

2. Learning in Life profile image87
      Learning in Lifeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The worse that will happen is they idle it and you have to revise it to get it featured. I only know this from doing it myself.

4. Running Young profile image60
    Running Youngposted 11 years ago

because the niche or topic had been spammed before. affiliates stuffed their links  and hubpages.com wants to be very strict with it and make sure nobody abuses it again.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

If you can't post it here, post it elsewhere.  Maybe you can do a hub surrounding money management and then work in how people not only get into debt, but how they can get out of it.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

HP has nothing on forbidden topics anymore.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good Evening Linda.

It is possible that I do not understand your statement correctly, however, taken literally it seems be in error. There are a few “forbidden topics” on Hubpages.

“HubPages does not allow …adult content (nudity, provocative images); mature content (graphic, violent images); gambling content (promoting gambling); or the promotion or sales of weapons, arms, alcohol or drugs.” {1}

Perhaps, Linda, you intended another meaning.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … ol-Content

Running Young pretty much summed the problem up.  What actually happened is that I was told I could put the hub into "submission" status and if a moderator OKs it I can publish it...but...HP will not allow any affiliate advertising on this hub.  In other words, if I can print it, I still won't be able to make any money on it.  I think they'll put it through, but if not, I'll have to go to plan B.  LOL!

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
          mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Affiliate advertising is not the same as Adsense or the HP Ad program, so you can still make money on this hub, you just can't insert affiliate links.

I wasn't aware of that.  How do ads that come from outside adsense or the HP ad program get placed into a hub?  Interesting.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
              mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The only Ads you see on your hubs are ads from Adsense or the HP Ad program (if you use HP Ads many of your adverts will still be Adsense ones but the difference is that you get paid for these via HP instead of directly from Adsense). The only other adverts you would see on your hubs are ones you have inserted such as Amazon, Ebay OR affiliate offers through companies such as Shareasale etc. Basically these are a link with your affiliate code inserted into them and lead to a product page. If the person who clicks on your affiliate link buys the product the sale is attributed to your affiliate link and the company pay you directly once you reach their various thresholds.

This image might help you understand the various adverts you currently see on your hubs:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

mistyhorizon2003?  Thanks for clearing this up.

2. profile image0
          Ghaelachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I published a hub on child abuse exactly 12 months ago, and had it unpublished untill I did heavy editing on it. The reason I was given was the hub went against HP's partners code of practise.
          I removed photo's of battered children with  black and blue bruising all over their bodies. I also removed some text as well. After getting it republish was told the that it would be left published but it would have the "Ads Disabled"  icon showing. Meaning it wouldn't be making any money which is a shame as it is my most read hub.
          Best of luck with yours.
          Ghaelach

Ghaelach:  Topics like child abuse are very tricky to write about, and I usually avoid writing them for that reason.  This time, however, I am taking a chance and am awaiting HPs decision.  I think people need direction in the area of personal finance, which is why I write about it. Thanks to you and everybody else for their input on this issue.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60

When I looked for the category earlier, it was not showing in the learning center.

8. dwachira profile image77
    dwachiraposted 11 years ago

Just to make sure that rules are followed on some topics, HP has some strict rules on articles which may involve embedding of affiliate links. The choice of such topics will automatically trigger warnings like in your case.

While nothing might really be wrong with your hub, HP insist the hub must be of exceptional high quality and the article will be subjected to moderation before it is published and every time you edit, it has to go through moderation again.

This is mostly done to make sure no affiliate links are embedded in the hub among other check-ups. Another topic that usually undergo the same process is any topic touching on web hosting.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I have also published a few hubs that I know would really help people. HP was fine with it, but Google won't go anywhere near them. Sorry for the off-topic, but I am in rant mode. big_smile

10. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Then why comment?  To make me feel worse than I already do?

11. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

I love hubpages and the whole aspect of the program here. But I think its unfortunate when we are looking at an HQ article that was unbpublished for being slightly on the fringes of policy. Aslong as it doesn't cross the line, I think its a shame to lose quality content then look at some of the many LQ posts that are so easily put through. If your article didn't conform, its best to review the guidelines and be sure you comply with whatever may be causing the removal. If you're in doubt, attach a message along with your resubmission. Maybe someone will be kind enough to write a small hint outlining what needs to be changed. Otherwise just re-edit your idea and stick as cloesly to the rules as you can. I don't see how money management is against the rules. But then again I never read the article. Good luck. Hope you get it all straightened out.

Anonymous00:  If you read all of the posts here you will find one that explains why this happened to me.  My hub may yet be published, but its on hold for now.  I understand that HP must protect the site for all of us, and this is one way of doing it.  Now that I understand their thinking, I have no problem with this issue.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the recent, sudden withdrawal of Adsense from the entire Wizzley site is a warning to us all.

What happened was that someone on Wizzley did something Adsense didn't like - so Google just suspended all Adsense for the whole site.    I believe it's all fixed now and Adsense is back, but it would've been a nasty surprise for Wizzley members and means they all lost income for the period it was suspended.

Which perfectly illustrates why HubPages is so careful not to upset Adsense . . .

12. profile image0

I read the posts. My point of view doesn't change whether you have no problem with the issue or not. The comments may aid a newcomer that comes across this post for the first time and is looking for feedback. However, I'm glad you've gotten your issue taken care of. Can't wait to read the new article when its published.

Anonymous00:  Well, it is what it is.  I'm still not sure the hub will be published, but if it is, I hope you feel reading it was worth the effort.  Thanks for your input and support.

13. profile image0

Ofcourse I'll read it. Sounds like you really put alot of hard work and effort into it. I've lost a few hubs at times - and it certainly is agitating after hours of diligent work. It's a shame that some of the high end HQ content is never seen over such minimal mishaps. Best of luck smile

Update:  I just got word that this article has been approved and has been published.  A big thank you to all who gave me support and advice in this matter.  Please read Simone Smith's explanation above.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)