Links to Prohibited Site

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (48 posts)
  1. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

We need an indication of what link is causing this error.

Either that, or a list of sites that are prohibited.

Expecting us to go through every link HOPING that we find the offending link is a waste of our time.

This kind of message is not helpful.

"This hub contains prohibited promotional links, or links to a site that may be difficult for visitors to navigate, such as:

Sites that contain pop-ups or pop-unders that interfere with site navigation, for example when clicking the back or close buttons, or that redirect users to unwanted websites
        Affiliate or promotional links in subject areas containing a high proportion of low quality or promotional content (for example, forex, acai berry, MLM, weight loss, etc)
        Links to eBook sales pages and lead capture forms

If you would like to make changes to the Hub in order to bring it into compliance, please do so and then click the Submit for Publication button. We will review your Hub, and if appropriate, republish it. This process can take up to 72 hours. Hubs without substantial improvement will not be republished, and we will be monitoring any changes made to Hubs after republication."

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul Deeds posted that if you click on the warning at the top of the Hub, it does bring up a list of the specific links which are a problem.

Unfortunately I had already fixed all mine by that time, so I wasn't able to check it out.  I'm really curious if it's true, because I think hardly anybody noticed that was possible.

Could you check it out and let us know?

Edit:  I should also mention, I had a similar problem and it turned out the link to my own personal website had been misclassified by the filter. So it is possible it's a mistake.

tritrainposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I clicked on both links in the warning message, and then, after each click, scrolled through the entire length of the Hub.

I did not find anything highlighted in any way.

I am unable to republish so I don't know if it is fixed already.

*They really need to fix these crappy automated messages.  It's a popular Hub and I have many links pointing to it, yet it is unpublished.  It's embarrassing.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried submitting it? You need to submit after each change to find out if it was correct. Did you read the Sunforged big thread on this?

I've tried resubmitting over and over, each time removing more content and backlinks.  It still comes up with the message.

I'm reading Sunforged thread now.

You need to submit, wait for a moderator to check it and then try again. The message won't be removed, even if the problem is no longer there, until after a moderator has checked it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Do you have any links at all in the Hub?   Where are they linked to?  Any RSS feeds?

There are an assortment of links, but all related to the topic.

I did have an RSS feed, but removed it.

If I remove much more then I might as well just delete the Hub. 

So much for my backlinks TO the Hub.  It's seriously a misstep by HubPages to unpublish peoples' work, especially after we have done all this linkbuilding.

....The HubPages hole is only being dug deeper by the HubPages staff.

Have you emailed team@, they will tell you which links are the problem if you ask.  It may take two or three weeks to get an answer, though.

2. tritrain profile image69

By the way, I have no affiliate links on the page.

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/75569

The list has been asked for and discussed at some length, however there does not seem to be much of a response from good ole HP apart from the usual defensiveness! Pointing the fingers back at the writers that make the money for them rather than trying to actually do something to make our lives easier..

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

[insert finger pointing and defensive comment here] wink

4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Since I feel for you, Ill point out the important part of the thread.

The message doesnt go away, but you dont have to submit it for every change.

There are two messages - the one that is in orange and says warning, should be clickable (design flaw) and that should display problem links - once the orange warning is gone it is safe to resubmit. it will still say "dont submit" in red ..fancy that

I imagine submitting after each tweak would be grounds for irreconcilable status!

As for emailing for  a better explanation - Ive been waiting over a week for the two hubs I asked about - I wouldn't count on that one. ( 2 hubs w/ about a total of only 18k views so maybe not worth their time)

Considering HP's search authority at the moment, anything that is unpublished and takes more then 2-3 days to be dealt with would probably be best to  just move to your own site or to a better performing site with a higher revshare, in my experience so far, a hub that is unpublished by HP for too long drops to much in serps positioning to worry about making the changes necessary to keep it there.

Thanks for the clarification. smile You've definitely had more experience in this area than me!

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Besides being, along with James Watkins, my unofficial Hubpages hero. . . .you Sir, are a MONSTER.

Two Hubs and 18K views not worth their time????????????????

*expletive*  *expletive*  *expletive*

I don't know what the deal is.  I had a "substandard" deal in red on one of my hubs. . . ..that was still published.  I wrote to them, and they took that off my page, and told me that it was published again. . . .even though it was never UNPUBLISHED.

I had another that was . . . .unpublished for some unknown and unstated reason. . . and I wrote to them four straight days, and got a very nice apology, and had that hub re published as well with no changes made at all.

I guess I should point out here that most of the problems that I have had had to do with hubs about shotguns.

I'm a redneck. . . .sue me.

When exactly did this happen? It seems the wait time for a response was pretty good at the start of this but it keeps getting longer and longer...

I sent an email to team@ on the day I got my warning email, because I couldn't find the offending "affiliate links" in some of my Hubs.  I didn't get a response so I sent another one. Still no response, so I tried the forums - and I guess you noticed that did no good. 

Then the Hubs were unpublished, so I sent another email.  The following day I got an email saying it was all a mistake and the Hubs were reinstated. 

I still don't know whether that was in response to my original email two weeks before, or one of the later ones.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, response times have been getting shorter. It was up to a week before, but the moderation team has been responding in less than a week now.

Jason could you please drop by the Flagging Abuse thread and point out the fact that hubbers CANNOT unpublish another user's hub? Would be very helpful, thanks!

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
              Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh sure - ruin another conspiracy...next thing you are going to say is that we aren't ruled by a secret society and Area 51 has no aliens in captivity...

2. Jason Menayan profile image60

I just did a few minutes ago. smile

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

This would have been two weeks ago - and I've not had anymore issues since then.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to you sooner - this one got lost in my deluge of mail.

5. sunforged profile image71

lol - My loud complaining isnt a result of it happening alot, its a result of seeing how poorly the system is being designed and managed and hoping adding a few wake up calls might have an effect.

I was just attempting to be thorough in my analysis of my experience

The lip service I received didnt qualify as an effect i desired - so Im just moving them. smile

The hubs heavier in amazon widgets were an annoyance to "fix" but that wasnt confusing or poorly explained - it was just a quick way to destroy things that were carefully formatted and well designed.

I did have enough amazon heavy buying guides pulled to see that the  time it took from unpublish to republish was sufficiently damaging to spur the need to move elsehwere.

Sites or pages that are no longer there when googlebot comes looking is bad for the page and the site.

Well I don't have any affiliates I use on Hubpages so I never even had that issue.

2. tritrain profile image69

This is a major concern of mine.

All the work, time, and energy being destroyed by being unpublished. The search engine traffic disappearing. 

Might as well delete.

Which is where I am at now.

6. sunforged profile image71

The keyword tips hub I challenged the unpublishing of had 111 comments so I wanted to keep it here.

Currently my needs revision has 18k in views for 18hubs and the submitted one has 10k more worth of views.

Number of views means nothing about quality, but it does reference how big my loss of opportunity for income is  I suspect that I can assume that 111 comments is enough for me to feel that the hub in question was a positive addition to the hubscape in relation to viewing time, interaction and how often it was referenced on HP as being helpful. Knowing that, I see no reason to waste my own time trying to decipher their changing TOS, questionable communication practices and blatant disrespect for contributor efforts.

Am I really that far in left field with that? I dont think so

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you say is at the root of most complaints, or aggravates the issue considerably:
      "I see no reason to waste my own time trying to decipher their changing TOS"
      If they published the lists and guides they give to moderators it would make each issue far more clear without waiting a week for a moderator to not answer your question.

The issue of WHY proper information is not given, and why staff say they don't know either,  in these threads,  is probably the real reason behind the poor quality of the HP response and general rattiness of the staff when they do appear, except Simone of course !

7. sunforged profile image71

You know whats fun?

When you get your second unexplained rejection on a hub with 3k words and complex and attractive design - and you go to click on "great hub examples" from the email

The first one you see has 18 product items

about 660-680 words

a huge newsfeed - 6 other related links (they are related)

Basically the whole hub has to be read in one tiny column. Its an eyesore. This is what you send everyone as examples of good hubs?

Who wears the attention to detail hat there? They tell me my hub doesnt fit standards and then send me an email where the first "example" clearly does not either.

smh

that is bizarre...something is off kilter...did they tell you why on this one?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sad

Im guessing they are just having fun over there watching me squirm. Pulling my little legs of one by one. Moderating all day has to get boring, cant knock em for getting their rocks off somehow.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey sun ,how come ya never approved one of my comments,actually left a couple ,on two diff Hubs? smile

Lol, Im sorry, I will go check , I abandoned Hubs for a bit. I just come to complain when they remind me again of their dastardly presence through another lovely email or my forum obsession forces me near.

*edit* I dont have any unapproved comments and certainly didnt disallow any from you - they must be live?

I hear that , re forum obscession.

I kinda jump between it, and the classifieds ;

Hey no biggy ,Im off to bed anyways ,you hang in, or diversify or both and do it with pizzazz !!

Love Mondays smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Oh thats wierd ,I left them 2/3 days ago now..??

brb

Edit: Hmm ,left a comment on your Pizza Hub ,and I see that one ok, but the other Hub which was titled

"Online Writers and Internet Marketers Forum: What Makes A Good Forum for Industry Talk?, my comment doesnt appear (thats the one I thought ,was awaiting approval)...

Shows under my activity ,and comments I made etc...not the actual comment ,just where I made it etc...

Nevermind ,it was positive ,basically said ,Im trying to copy down stuff ,cuz I feared all that good info might not be always around.

Things that go bump in the night huh.

Its published - always has been..maybe you are used to it being at the end?

I have the comments set the opposite order on that hub - so its the first comment visible instead.

Ok that was embarassing lol- cool

I can see clearly now -the rain has gone

2. Mutiny92 profile image65

I am sorry...there are some pretty serious offenders out there that could be the focus of attention.

Fortunately, I haven't had to worry too much yet...my hubs are almost impossible to even find!  Just ask Google...

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

I'm so glad that I've never, EVER bothered to look at any of those,

"check out these examples of high quality hubs!"

. . . .I get anger issues whent my Hubs are criticized as it is. . .

3. Jason Menayan profile image60

Which Hub is that?

4. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've seen that too!!! I've seen moderate quality as examples of hubs to strive for.

It is ironicly funny. There is one hubber in particular that they like to feature.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe one of HP's new aims is to have a site full of mediocre, homogeneous, bland hubs that offend nobody and don't make a dime?

8. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

Sunforged, This might be an easier way of dealing with it. smile

http://i54.tinypic.com/fdzw36.jpg

LOL!

9. tritrain profile image69

Why don't they simply stop all new accounts, their house in order, and try to embrace their core writers to help out?

Instead, more and more garbage is flowing in, while the core Hubbers are leaving. 

That's sad.

10. sunforged profile image71

<-- Ive turned my back - Its ridiculous to wait nearly two weeks for a reply to an email that can be responded to in 30 seconds

For further help in discovering that hub simply look to this quote:

11. sunforged profile image71

Recent posts to there Facebook wall were also blatant violations of existing criteria.

Instead of complaining I just "unliked" them though. That'll show em, lol.

Oh, way to twist the knife!

I think we're all unliking a number of recent changes to HubPages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)