New home for idled hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I've tweaked some of my idled hubs, and I've moved some of them. I decided to see how they'd do on Constant Content. I've sold some and have offers on others. Because they've been published before, hubs can only be sold for usage rights, but that's better than nothing! You might want to give CC a try for your "sleepers."

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks habee!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, SB!

2. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

I'll definitely check this out -- thanks for the head's up!

3. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Hmmmmm. Just posted one of my un-featured and hubs (also deleted) - I got a very succinct email back saying that the aritcle was not published - DO NOT SUBMIT IT AGAIN EVER!

Apparently you're not allowed to write anything in the first person. So when I said - I found this video game to be blah blah blah - I should have written something different. OK I can accept that. But not to be allowed to resubmit is inane!

Furthermore - just after that it said "Don't do this again or we'll close your account".

Hmmmm great customer service eh!

Now I'm not the best writer in the world, but I am not bad. I can amend my style if they want - but to be honest I'll give it a miss......

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, yeah polite really isn't CC's strong suit.  They almost made me cry once.

They will also spam email you to death.

1. habee profile image93

Almost made you cry?? Why those dirty, rotten...want me to beat 'em up for ya? I'll get the whole trailer park to help! lol

Is that a west Virginia joke? smile  This was a few years ago, when I thought writing for pay was the same as writing for professors.  It was all bad.  It's got better.... after the emotional bleeding stopped.

Some of their public requests have paid out really well.  I just hate writing w/o surety it will be purchased... especially since the topics are sometimes a bit....obscure.

1. habee profile image93

lol. Nah, it's a South Georgia joke!

2. habee profile image93

True, they don't accept first person. They're pretty strict with grammar, mechanics, and usage, but I've always found them to be polite. Maybe I've just been lucky!

It's because everyone loves you.  No one could possibly bring themselves to commit a rudeness upon you.

1. habee profile image93

lol I'm going to make hubby read this!

3. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, they have human editors that do the article approvals - after all the auto filter stuff that is...

You must have caught one on an off-day, or or as a rude and crude male chauvinist might say " ... "

Anyway, don't be upset - just understand that CC is not about articles that get traffic, or promoting writers, they are in the article resale business. They want keyword articles content buyers can plug into their sites.

I also sell on CC, and my biggest learning curve issue was understanding that brevity is king. Most desired content seems to be in the 500 - 700 word range, with some longer content if requested by buyers.

GA

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I've done stuff (and sold stuff) on CC.  I'm OK with them, but they are pickier than a site like this one is.  Someone who actually encourages first-person stuff is Yahoo Voices.  They may/may not do upfront pay, depending on whether something is exclusive or not (and I didn't do a whole lot serious paying attention when I was scanning how it all works there); and I don't know how well the site works for whoever uses it.  My point here is really only that I saw that they do actually encourage first-person stuff.

5. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

With the way the idle/featured program is going it's better to not put anything commercial here in the first place.  If they ever get rid of this mess it may be worth it again.

6. Radcliff profile image69
    Radcliffposted 11 years ago

I've been writing for CC for a little over a year. It's a love-hate relationship. I guess I have one of those with each of my writing outlets, come to think of it!

Anyway, they will not take opinion pieces at all. I submitted one when I first started writing for them and received the same response: Do not resubmit. You have to look at it from the editors' points of view: they get a lot of people submitting and resubmitting stuff they don't want and it must be annoying as well as a waste of time.

You can't take comments personally. Words like "rejected", "don't resubmit", or the like are things that you're going to read now and then. Also, someone may not like what you have to say in one of your articles and send you a message to let you know. You really just have to roll with the punches, so to speak.

I think that habee has a great idea here, though. If an article is just going to sit anyway, you might as well give it an opportunity to attract a few dollars.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All they had to say was 'We're not currently publishing review articles' - had you not said this I would have submitted other reviews and made sure they were not first person.....

...thanks for the added info!

7. profile image0
    summerberrieposted 11 years ago

Thanks for this additional info, Radcliff. I was just headed over to check things out. I was surprised by the word count on most of the articles. Good for me. I tend to have an economy with words. A quick question to save me digging around- does CC welcome book reviews?

8. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

Constant Contact - ummmm sounds familiar.  Think I might have signed up once smile  But a good idea and I'm looking into it.  Thanks.

9. Radcliff profile image69
    Radcliffposted 11 years ago

I'm sorry--let me clarify: it's not that you can't write reviews, like articles about features or pros and cons of a cell phone or video game. The rejected article I spoke of wasn't even in the first person; it was definitely biased, though. There's such a fine line, sometimes it can be tough to judge if your piece is too opinionated or not. I will tell you that once you start selling some work, they're much easier on you. Especially if you turn in work that doesn't need corrections.

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I actually have a few I think I'll give a try. I don't write in the first person so that want be a big hurdle for me--there might be others though. Worth a try smile

2. habee profile image93

True. I think you earn their respect by using proper grammar and mechanics and by showing you have at least some command of the English language. lol

That thar slang stuff ain't gonna cut it with CC. I have to remember that sometimes when I submit articles to the site. I enjoy using a little slang and southern vernacular in my hubs from time to time.

10. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

I think is kinda sad that the forum is full of posts about:
    "What to do with my fabulous articles that Hubpages does not want anymore" written by fabulous established writers on HP, some with many hundreds of hubs.
    It says a lot about the status quo here, especially when HP States:
    "We believe HubPages is the ultimate place online for long-form, media-rich user-generated content. To make it clear to the world that HubPages is the home of thorough, high quality, engaging resources, we promote a select set of Hubs that epitomize this style."

11. profile image0
    sarahshuihanposted 11 years ago

Thanks for this tip! It's always nice to find ways to use hubs or other articles you've written to good use if they're not useful elsewhere.

12. macteacher profile image78
    macteacherposted 11 years ago

I wrote an article about Facebook over a year ago, put it up on CC and forgot about it.  Just got an email yesterday that someone bought it for a $100.  I was pretty excited. I know it's going to take a while to build up residual income through Hubs, especially since I just started here.   So sites like CC really come in handy for some extra cash,  if you don't mind having every comma checked.  I kind of like their impossible standards - it keeps me on my toes.  But it's definitely not for everyone.

1. habee profile image93

Congrats! Some of CC's clients pay really well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)