Is there a way to have a hub or two evaluated?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (37 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

I've been here almost 3 yrs and would like an honest evaluation of some of my hubs.  I'm concerned about my low hubscore.  I continually study hubs at the learning center, participate in forums, comment on hubs, re-title and revise hubs, and have reached over 300,000 page views.  I promote using social media (FB, Pinterest, Twitter, Google and such.) I consistently hub hop.

But I'm obviously doing something wrong.  I realize the hubscore is something we shouldn't stress about:)  But I do.  It would be an enormous help to have someone take a quick look at some of my top-ranking hubs.
    Thanks.

1. Jasnav profile image57
      Jasnavposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@vocalcoach,
      you said it yourself - hubscore's nothing much to worry about, but if you've got a head for figures and you like to be on top, i don't blame you.
      no issues, i'll check out a couple of your hubs and try to see what's up.
      any specific ones you want seen?

1. vocalcoach profile image92
        vocalcoachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So nice of you to take the time to do this. Choose any hub you like.
        And thanks!

2. aleciajeanne profile image59
      aleciajeanneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You just need your hubscore over 75,and your hubberscore is based on your hubs AND most importantly what you do around hubpages, like talking to other members etc..but Im going to go check your hubs out, Im pretty good with helping tweak stuff

2. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey vocalcoach!

86 is hardly a low Hubber Score- don't worry! Keep on trucking and it'll rise on its own. I think your Hubs are great!

Why your Hub is presently 86 and not 96, I cannot say (unless you've just started Following a LOT of Hubbers), but I would not focus too much on it for now. Just keep on publishing those great Hubs, make sure they're easy for online searchers to find and on subjects that you're passionate about (and not extensively covered online). It'll turn out OK!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone - would it be possible to give us a better picture of how a score is achieved? Several of us know VocalCoach to be a competent and dedicated writer.  Many have pointed out that we shouldn't worry about those scores (I disagree - they're posted for everyone to see, and can sometimes make an "A" writer appear to be doing "B-minus"work). 

Our entire culture understands rating things from 1-100.  What in the heck is USED to create that score? And, worse yet, why can it go up and down almost hourly?  If we are in a college course (or teaching one), everyone in the class knows the factors going into a 'grade.' Here, it is a big mystery. We're 'graded' on following a lot of people? What the heck does that have to do with writing skills?  We are 'graded' on being active on the forums, etc.  yet we are also encouraged to get more Google traffic.  I'm assuming Google doesn't know, or give a hoot, about whether we follow people or post comments on hubs.

Worse yet - the score VocalCoach apparently had when posting this (86 - but don't forget how fickle those numbers are), is IDENTICAL to the score of a Hubber reported by me, Izzy and some others for having poor writing and for publishing copied content. It took several days for the copied content to be removed (I just checked), and now, the illiterate thief Hubber has a score of 80 - which is the threshold to qualify for using Exclusives titles.  That "Hubber" has only one other published work here, which I will be researching to see if it's copied, too. 

Please don't tell me that an excellent site member like VocalCoach can be given the same 'score' as someone who can't write English (a documented fact), and steals content?  And it just doesn't work to hear side-stepping excuses like 'a lot of factors go into the score,' or, 'it's not a perfect system,' or 'they don't mean a lot.'  When someone attaches a number ranging from 1-100 to your work, and posts it for everyone to see, and yet won't tell you how that number is determined, it means a heck of a lot to the person whose face and professional career are somehow being rated,

I've seen it suggested that the scores should go away.  I agree.  If you want to decide how well someone is doing (at what, we don't know), post the information privately on their accounts page, along with a few clues about what you'd like to see in the future.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wonderfully put!

I would like to see an end to this humiliating scoring system as well.

Thanks, WriteAngled!

QUESTION TO SIMONE -

Can we get a comment on the points I raised here?  I truly feel some of us would like to know if this can be addressed.  Thanks!

2. homesteadbound profile image81
        homesteadboundposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I constantly fretted over my score, altho I kept hearing the same things that are being discussed here. It is a sad situation. There needs to be a better way of scoring so that good writers do not feel incompetent.

Vocal Coach is a great writer.

2. vocalcoach profile image92
      vocalcoachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone -

Thanks for taking time to give me your support.  Appreciate your sharing your take on this.  My concern genuinely is centered around the quality of my hubs. Now that I have your seal of approval along with respected fellow writers that I admire, I'll "keep on truck'in" smile

3. Hideki-ryuga profile image66
    Hideki-ryugaposted 11 years ago

I just checked your latest hub. It is great, well-written and well-formatted. I also voted it up, so why do you stress up about a hubscore that goes down and up for some odd reason that nobody knows about?

4. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

Audrey, Your hubs are fantastic!! Don't allow a "number" to tell you otherwise. BTW...Happy Birthday!!!

5. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

In addition because of this hub ... http://vocalcoach.hubpages.com/hub/Heal … emade-Soup ... I added bell green peppers to my homemade soup yesterday and it was yummilicious. Thank you for the idea!

6. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

That is a great question.  I think your hubs are great too!  My score had been 95 for a good long while, and then, in one afternoon, within just a couple of hours, it dropped two points and then another two points!  I thought, what in the world is going on?  I had recently published several hubs, which had all gotten a ton of comments and a good amount of views, and were high-scoring hubs, but I thought, well, I will unpublish a couple of them and tweaked them a bit, although they seemed to be performing well.  And one never knows what the real reason is for the sudden drop in just a couple of hours!  I have never had that to happen ever before.  They always say to not worry about it, but when you are doing everything as you state, it does make one wonder. I constantly go back and edit and tweaked, participate in questions, etc., and comment on other's work . . . so? I may need to just hush and get busy writing another hub.  LOL

1. homesteadbound profile image81

I often saw my score drop the more I tried to take part in other things than just plain writing hubs. Who knows.

7. Jasnav profile image57
    Jasnavposted 11 years ago

Well, well, I set out to try and tell you something, and what do I find - a master of hubpages who has given out true nuggets of great information. Each of your hubs is a treasure in itself, and I come back only wiser. Your huge following and numerous comments on each hub say it all.

No ma'am - I think you simply need to stop worrying about your hubscore there. From my side it's a hundred on hundred!

I agree, Audrey. Your hubs bless many!

8. profile image0
    Ernest Hemingway3posted 11 years ago

Vocalcoach, I don't really know what the issue is as I am new on Hubpages myself. But I envy you your 1.4k followers..

9. Fossillady profile image94
    Fossilladyposted 11 years ago

Well, if it were up to me you would get a 100! Your hubs are high quality and that's all that should matter. Personally, I don't care for the scoring system. I think it treats us like were in high school and I never wanted to go back there! lol . . .

10. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

My score goes from 97 down to 92.  It seems to depend on how many hubs I write.  When I do at least two a week it goes up and so does all the scores on different hubs. I did not write one last week and my score went down to 92.  When I took a month off writing it went down to 87.  You have a lot of views for number of hubs.  I have written as many and my views are  very few...

11. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Hi vocal, I just read your latest hub, and it is stellar to say the least!  As Carol7777 pointed out, I do notice when I do not publish a hub at least once or twice a week, my score does drop.  And on the weeks I do publish, my score remains high.  So, Carol may have hit on my issue of this week, concerning the sudden points dropping within a couple of hours.  Thanks.

12. tiffanyz profile image60
    tiffanyzposted 11 years ago

Hi I've joined about 2 weeks and I am loving the experience.  I agree with Fossillady,  don't drive yourself nuts with low hub scores.  I don't pay attention to the hub score, to be honest I have no idea as to what it means and really don't care.  I know that enjoy writing hubs and I will continue.  I will read your hubs not so much to evaluate but to just read another interesting hub.  According Fossillady you are excellent writer and I am looking forward to reading your work.

13. ktrapp profile image91
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

Hi Audrey. I noticed your G+ link isn't working on your HP profile page. If you change it so it works, then your profile image may show in Google results and that may help you get even more click-through. Here's what you need to do:

(1) Go to your Google+ account (your actual profile page, not the feed) and copy the long number out of the address bar.

(2) Edit your HP profile page and to the Google+ Link box add https:// plus.google. com/TheLongNumber (without the spaces - I added them here so this link wouldn't be active).

(3) Finally, add a link to your HP profile on your Google profile page under the "Other Profiles" or "Conributor" section.

Ktrapp - great advice. You are so smart!

2. Jasnav profile image57
      Jasnavposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Ktrapp,
      Sounds good! Need to try it out smile

14. MarieAlana1 profile image67
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

Like Marcy said, it's hard to know what all goes in to hubscores and what all goes into the commentator scores as well. In a college class you know what all goes into your grade. I wonder if there's any way that we can get a rubric type of thing telling each hubber how to achieve the different levels and different hubscores.

I love that idea. MarieAlana - and as I said before, perhaps the idea of keeping the scores private should be explored.

15. MarieAlana1 profile image67
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

I don't know about the privacy though. I think the hubscore generates competition in the forums and question area as well. Also, it probably accounts to some good hubs. People are motivated by competition. So, I think the hubscores help with competition.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Some people may be motivated by making their way in the world through walking all over their fellow human beings. Other people find this rather demeans the human race.

Personally, I hate competition and want nothing to do with it.

16. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Thought I'd just mention the service offered in the forums under the heading "Improving Your Hub". (About half way down the box on the left.) I've not used it yet because I'm too chicken, but there seems to be lots of good advice given to hubbers who ask for it.

Looks like a great service we should all be aware of.

Hi, LongTimeMother - I agree that the Improve Your Hub feature is helpful for inexperienced writers.  But that doesn't address what appears to be a flawed and counter-productive element on the site.

VocalCoach is but one example of an active, competent and respected writer on the site being 'scored' in a way that raises questions about the validity of Hubber scores. In the example I mentioned above (just one of thousands that can be found on the site), her score was identical to that of a person who cannot write in English and has posted copied content. Which of these two Hubbers has the accurate score?  They can't both be right.

Regarding competition - that is only useful when everyone knows the rules. There's nothing tangible to compete for here - we are all swatting at invisible fleas.  And yet our readers see numbers attached to our work that suggest a level of (what? expertise? accuracy?).  Readers don't care about the Hopper, or comments on Q&A, or how active someone is in the forum.

We have a right to either have these stupid numbers removed (my vote) or have transparency about what they mean.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
        LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, Marcy. I was responding to the reference to 'hub score' in the question, but I see now that the issue is concerned with 'hubber score'.
        On the subject of that forum, when I looked at it a while back I thought it was useful for inexperienced hubbers irrespective of their writing experience. I'm a published author with books on library shelves and have been a professional writer for decades, but I'm certainly not an experienced hubber. I liked the way other hubbers gave specific advice regarding capsules etc. Useful for improving hub scores I'm sure, but I share your concern about quality when allocating hubber scores.
        I don't look at people's numbers. I look at topics that catch my eye and, if I enjoy the read, then I click on the author and have a look at their other hub topics. I might read 8 or 10 in a row if I enjoy the author's style.
        Perhaps there should be a button that flags bad examples of hubs that don't match the quality you expect given the author's hubber score ... and someone could make a manual adjustment.

As with you, LongTimeMom,  I've been published for decades.  HubPages does have suggested standards for Stellar hubs, but there are many excellent hubs that don't include some of these features (not every hub lends itself to maps, videos, etc.).

Welcome to the site, by the way!  You should do well here!

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
            LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I doubt I'll make money here, but I do enjoy the banter and open communication ... and I enjoy hearing other people's perspectives on issues, and stories about their experiences.

I confess I rarely watch the videos. I see their value in aiming for a Stellar hub, but I just like to read what the author has to say. Thanks again.

17. torrilynn profile image66
    torrilynnposted 11 years ago

vocalcoach, i wish there was a way to have your hub properly evaluated. if there is, i wish to learn of it fast. i feel the same as you do in a sense but you have been on hp alot longer than i have. best of wishes.

18. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 11 years ago

I have been here almost four years and still do not understand the Hub scores. I do not write very frequently now like I did i the past due to responsibilities at home, plus I am doing some freelance writing. My Hub score went up rather suddenly after I went back and freshened up some of my old hubs. I guess that is the reason as I have only posted one hub recently. I will say I have learned a lot about grammar since I have been doing freelance work as they only accept perfection.

Audry, I have read many of your hubs, and they are very good. Your topics are well chosen, and I see no problem with your writing. You also seem to receive plenty of comments. I don't think about my score very often, but I would also like to have a better understanding of all the components that figure in to our scores.

19. LisaMarie724 profile image68
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

Congrats on all the views, I'd say you're doing something right!  I wouldn't worry much about your Hub score, who knows what they really base it on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)