Question out of curiosity regarding hubbers who choose to follow.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (43 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image84
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

I often receive notification of new followers. Many are scammers, but some are legitimate. My question is: How do new (or even not so new) Hubbers find us? And why do they choose to follow? Some who follow me don't have articles I would normally read. So, why (or are) they reading mine?

With comments no longer live, it's become a conundrum for me.

I'd love to hear from those who make "follow" choices.

1. Misbah786 profile image81
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is something I'd like to know as well. I also find it intriguing when someone who joined HubPages just 3 minutes ago chooses to follow me and even leave me a fan mail? Please let me know too if you find an answer to this question. Lol. smile
      Blessings and Love!!

bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Misbah, those supposed fan mails are usually a plea to follow them. I read their profiles first. If they don't have one, or the profile is advertising their business, I report them.

If their profile is not in keeping with what I've posted in mine or the articles I've written and they follow hundreds, I'm suspicious and don't bother reading what they've posted (although I will glance at their titles.)

The main question is: How do these people find us?

2. plogan721 profile image77
      plogan721posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I want to know too.  I wrote my first article this morning after being on hiatus since 2014.  I know there is so much for me re-learn about Hubpages, but I do not want to appeal to every scammer's whelm. I want authentic readers who are going to engage with me, especially if I get a fact wrong in my articles.

3. SerenityHalo profile image94
      SerenityHaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When I first opened an account on HubPages, more than 9 years ago, I would follow people wildly. I wanted to get a lot of people on my feed.

Now I follow people if they seem interesting whether in the forums or from their list of articles.

Following a plethora of Hubbers does nothing for your stance on this site. Too many newbies think that following hundreds of writers randomly will increase their Hubber score. That has nothing to do with it. Following for the sake of following doesn't benefit anyone. Follow because you connect with what the author has to offer.

1. SerenityHalo profile image94
          SerenityHaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What I did nine years ago isn't what I'm doing now.

2. Olealea profile image74
        Olealeaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe those newbies are not scammers.  Maybe they think this is twitter.  "The more you follow the more they follow you" rule.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shauna!
      Thanks for starting this thread, as I am also curious about this.
      I have noticed a surge in the profiles created for the sake of advertisements, some of them promote their travel websites, or wedding venues, or other products etc.
      As soon as they join, they randomly follow anyone and everyone. One has to be careful, if you choose to follow back.
      But, there are some genuine newcomers too, and that can be ascertained by visiting their profile page, reading their bio, and reading about their work, as you have suggested.
      Thanks for reminding us about the good old days of HP-- I still remember my first followers, and their comments on my articles.
      Valuable comments by fellow writers in this thread-- Thank you and best wishes.

5. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A percentage of new arrivals do read the FAQ while I hope all at least skim it. So, with that in mind consider what is shared at the FAQ with the question; How should I attract readers to my articles?

The last paragraph states; A great way to gain readership is to become a strong member of the HubPages Community. Follow other Hubbers and leave insightful comments on their work and they might follow you back and read your work!

https://hubpages.com/faq/#how-to-attract-readers

Consider this more than likely occurs before they really understand it is through Search Engines that we obtain any significant readership. And, they are hungry at the beginning to get readership IMO. I know it was for me when I first joined and way back then we got credit (Paid) for a view on our articles from the HP readers. Of course Google is why that changed.

Edit: Regard how they find you a lot of Hubbers read the forums and never interact as it is recommended to check out the forums. It is a great place to learn. For example I have been reading the forums every morning since I joined some eleven+ years ago.

I've been reading (but not always commenting on) the forums daily since comments were removed. I find it more rewarding to interact with fellow writers. I do read articles, as well, but not as frequently as I once did.

2. Stephen Tomkinson profile image82
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 2 years ago

I, for one, follow someone whose views I respect in the forums - not that I necessarily agree with them.

Thanks for your input, Stephen. When I first joined almost eleven years ago, I was thrilled when my first followers appeared. I still don't know how they found me.

I have chosen (or not) to follow others either by reading their bio when I'm notified that they've followed me and scanning their article titles. If I read more than one full article, I usually follow. Another way I've chosen to follow HP writers is (was) by the comments they'd post on works of fellow writers. If I found they had something interesting to say, I'd check out their bio. With the dissolution of comments, that is no longer possible. You can learn a lot about a person and how they respond to the proffered information by reading what they're impelled to say about it. Just another reason comments need to be restored.

I hope Matt reads this forum. I don't think this benefit of comments has been brought forward until now.

3. Stephen Tomkinson profile image82

AS an illustration of my tactic, you will notice that I've started following you. I don't expect tit-for-tat.

Stephen, I've done what I illustrated above. And I don't do tit-for-tat. I have 714 followers and only follow 224.

I'm reading your article about Google reviews. It interests me because whenever I'm considering visiting a restaurant I've not been to before, I consult Yelp reviews. Granted, you probably don't have Yelp in Spain, but the Yelp reviews  in America include pictures of the food and brief comments by the visitors. For someone to take the time to post photos of the food and leave a brief comment is monumental!

I do the same with products I'm considering buying. I don't want to read what's on Amazon (although I do and many times decide not to buy from Amazon as a result), but want to read honest reviews. Reviews mean everything to this consumer!

One thing I must say is this: I appreciate a writer who isn't stuck to one niche and writes well. I want to look forward to "so-and-so" has posted a new article in my inbox. I like to be surprised. It seems you fit that bill. Stay tuned.....

I believe we have Yelp in Spain.
        In Barcelona, sí. But I am not sure about Valencia.
        https://www.yelp.es/barcelona

4. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Hi Shauna, I am glad you created this forum thread as I have received quite a few followers lately who appear to be just businesses i.e. the name implies that or their profile description but they have no articles. They often leave fan mail such as just “hii.”

We should have a way of refusing followers, they should need to request to follow someone and you can accept or deny. I also have no idea how they find or choose who to follow.

I have never reported any unless they have posted a spammy article promoting their business.

Any new follower who seems legitimate, and has a profile, I will usually read one or two of their articles and decide whether I like what they write. If so I will follow them back.

I too hope HubPages reads this.

Thanks for your input, John.

The spammy fan mail I receive, is denied and deleted. I also don't like the "hi, hope you follow me" fan mails. They, too, are denied and deleted. The ones that remain speak of my ability and what I've brought to the reader. Those are the only ones that count.

5. Misbah786 profile image81
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

Oh, dear Shauna. You're making me curious: If I read more than one full article, I usually follow. I was pretty new here when I started following you; I followed you through comments on Manatita's article; I wonder whether you read any of my articles at the time. I guess I was pretty bad at writing big_smile

Lots of Love & Hugs!!

Sweetheart, I did and I love you. I'm just not into poetry anymore. John Hansen is one of my few exceptions because he always incorporates a story with his poetry and his ability to rhyme is phenomenal.

Please don't be hurt by my comment. I started out by writing poetry (handwritten in notebooks) and even published a book that includes the heartfelt journey I took through my early adulthood, cataloguing my emotional journey by way of bleeding my emotions on paper. I'm now beyond that point.

I love short stories, the paranormal, travel articles that take me to places I've never been, etc. Poetry seems to take me back to my beginning and I have gone beyond that. I guess it's a psychological thing. A personal growth thing,

Again, please don't take offense my dear, sweet friend.

Please don't take it to heart, my dear sweet friend. I was just having fun. I understand and value your opinion. I understand how poetry can transport you to places you may never want to return to.  May God continue to bless you. Ameen!!

Lots of Love and respect for you.
        Hugs!!!

Bless you, my friend!

2. Jodah profile image89
        Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Shauna, Misbah writes a lot more than just poetry. Her writing and articles are quite diverse in fact smile

Thanks, John. I'll have to give her another look.

Lol!!

John is one of my sweetest friends. Thank you so much, John. smile
            Love and Blessings to both of you!!

2. Jodah profile image89

smile

2. Misbah786 profile image81

Thank you so much for your love and support, John. I've been following Shauna for quite some time and have read many of her articles. I was just having a fun time. I love and respect you all.

She once helped me with one of my articles in the forums about cartoon characters at that time I was a newbie. I'm not sure if she remembers.

And yes, I am forever grateful to you because you were my first friend and follower on this site. I still remember that we started following each other after you helped me with one of my articles, which was an eerie story about Blair's witch. Your comments are still there.

Many friends have helped me on my journey to becoming a good writer, and you are one of my most wonderful friends. I am grateful to each and every one of you, my dear friend.

Blessings and Love to all of you!! smile

1. Jodah profile image89

You are always welcome, Misbah. My friends here mean a lot to me.

smile

3. Amara Hassan profile image88
        Amara Hassanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree John's poetry is superb.. I always enjoy his work..

6. Stephen Tomkinson profile image82

Will do.

7. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 years ago

Back before I got exhausted advising newbies of the same thing over and over - read the ?%&&& Learning Center - I noticed some turned up as followers almost immediately. Most, I'm fairly sure have since vanished and are now working for the best SEO company in Mumbai.

Rupert, I love your sense of humor! I actually started following you based in your contributions to the forums. In fact, I've followed a few others by the same means.

It kinda seems futile to do so since we can't comment, but it's the page views that help us to earn. Even though you can't hear me, I'm in your corner because I'm reading your work!

2. Miebakagh57 profile image74
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

lol!

8. Misbah786 profile image81
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

I think maybe people find other Hubbers through the topics they follow; as you may know, when we follow a topic, we receive notification emails from HubPages saying, ''We thought that you would like to know that a new article was just published in the topic...'' Maybe this is how they choose to follow us, or maybe our articles start to appear in their feed.

Very well could be, Misbah. I don't follow any topics. Perhaps I should.

smile

9. Pamela99 profile image88
    Pamela99posted 2 years ago

You bring up a good question Shauna, and I do not have the answers.
    This is not the same place since comments were removed. Chitrangada brings up several good points as well.

I have had several new followers too, but I don't know if they even read my articles. Often they don't have any articles, so I wonder if they are scammers.
    I have thought about leaving and I don't write as often. I have been here for such a long time that it is hard to walk away. I do appreciate this thread where we can communicate with each other.

I appreciate both of you ladies as friends, and I look forward to anything you post. Best wishes to both of you.

10. ravirajan01 profile image96
    ravirajan01posted 2 years ago

Interesting question Shauna. I have generally observed three types of followers - the first type are those who want to share and gain knowledge and these are the people who become our best critics and well-wishers.

The second type are the "want to know" ones. They are some sort of competitors, peers who want to know what others in their field are doing. These people can also give a lot of good tips sometimes.

The last ones are the "number" types. They just follow in the hope that they will be followed and thereby increase their numbers. I have generally seen no benefit/help or any interaction coming out of these followers.

So I guess we need to be prepared to meet all sorts of people in the writing game.

11. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Shauna, I agree with ravirajan01's third description of followers. I think the majority of the 'new era' of followers treat this site like any other social media site and just want to build a following. They may not have ill intentions but are doing what they do on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. I also don't think everybody who comes to HP has the same agenda. Some actually do come to write, learn and join a community. Some, as we have all experienced, are trying to promote a business venture. The only way to know if they are legitimate, as Chitrangada suggested, is to check their bio, see if they've written any articles, and as you said, if they leave substantive fan mail.
    As for how they find us, as tsmog suggests, I think most of them go through the forums to see who the best hubbers are, see our hubberscores, check our articles, then follow. Let's be honest: some of the 'forums' are not much different from the spaces we see on social media. Leaving fan mail is similar to 'liking' as is 'following' who you like, hoping to get a follow back.
    Thanks for the topic. The random following is annoying but it's a different time than we remember. It has definitely gotten worse. It's a sign of the times, really.

Thanks for your input, Jan. You bring up some valid points.

I think fan mail, when substantive, helps hubbers who are thinking of following another writer. I check bios, articles, and fan mail to see what people have to say. Many of them are not worthy of being approved by the author, in my opinion. If fan mail left for me doesn't address my work and why the person has chosen to follow me, I don't approve it, especially if it's a blatant plea for tit-for-tat.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree totally.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)