To have adsense or Not

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Techstuff profile image58
    Techstuffposted 11 years ago

I was just looking through my earnings, and I am making way more via hubpages earnings program than I am with my own adsense ads shoing up.  I believe a 3rd or the ads would be my own adsense ones, but it only accounts for like a few percent of my earnings.

Anyone else experience this, and do you think I should just turn off my own adsense?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The way you earn through either Adsense or the HP Ad program is not based on how many ads are on your hubs i.e. you don't get a proportion of the ads. You earn through a percentage of the earnings, so in any one 24 hour period HP will take 40% of the Ad revenue (whichever system you are on) and the other 60% of the day you will take the revenue from. The hours they count as yours or theirs apparently vary and are not fixed.

Right now you will see various Adsense Ads on your hubs even on the HP Ad program, but be aware that all but one of those are being paid to you via the HP Ad program, and only the last Adsense block ad on the bottom right of your hub is being paid to you via Adsense directly (make sure your hubs are long enough for this one to appear in your articles).

This might help you see which Ads get paid from which company:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's not quite correct.  HP assigns a code number to each visitor (either yours or theirs) on a random basis that gives your code 60% of the time and theirs 40% of the time.  Any income from that visit is then credited to the appropriate code.  Income is not divided up over a 24 hour period and neither is it done on a time basis (6 hours to you and 4 hours to HP).

http://blog.hubpages.com/2009/03/hubpag … explained/

Just read the link Wilderness because that is not as I have understood it. As far as I can tell nothing in the link says anything any different to what I said i.e. 60% of the time Ad revenue is attributed to the hubber and 40% of the time to HP. Can you be more specific and quote which part states that a 'code is attributed to each visitor' as that is a new one on me? Thanks.

Edit: Quote from the FAQ: "Every time someone views one of your Hubs, we display ads. 60% of the time, these ads can generate revenue for you, and 40% of the time, the ads can generate revenue for HubPages. We make it easy for you to sign up for all of these!"

http://hubpages.com/faq/#royalties

I think part of the problem is that the article you linked to was published in 2009 by a long gone staff member, so it is very out of date when you consider the HP Ad program has come in since, and no doubt the FAQ's have also been updated.

From the section on adsense (HPads, Amazon and eBay work the same way):
            "As you begin to attract traffic to your Hubs, 60% of the impressions will show your AdSense ID and 40% of the impressions will show the HubPages AdSense ID. This creates a 60/40 revenue split in your favor,..."

The adsense ID is the code I refer to, although for the other programs it is different. 

Your quote is correct about 60% of the time, but the "time" doesn't refer to clock minutes or hours, it refers to the actual visits.  If that makes sense.  60% of the page impressions are attributed to you and you receive all income from those impressions, whether HPads, Amazon, Adsense or eBay.  The other 40% of the time the impressions go to HP.

HP chooses whether to give it to your or HP by use of a random number generator that gives you 60% of the impressions.  The time of day, day of week, etc. have no bearing as that would not be a fair way to do it.  "Your" impression can happen at any time, just depending on whether that random number generator picks you or HP.

You can see this, too, in Adsense numbers; they are approximately 60% of your actual traffic.  Adsense only reports those impressions that are listed as "yours", which is 60% of the total. 

The link is outdated, yes, but this same information came out with this explanation just last year in a forum discussion.  I also found the link in the learning center; it should thus still be correct information.

Still not sure about this Wilderness, perhaps a staff member could confirm!  I have never seen any reference to 'random number generators' or anything that says 'time of the week' could even be a factor. You may well be right, but as far as I can tell it is just as likely that the impressions etc are decided on a random 60/40 split over the course of any one 24 hour period (even if it isn't literally midnight to midnight). If it is based on actual visits that seems very hard for a program to calculate based on every hubber bearing in mind everyone has different quantities of views at different times and there are are thousands of us here.

To be honest I am now confused, and would really like staff to step in and spell it out in 'plain speak' so we know exactly how these 'random' 60/40 splits are decided.

Exactly!  The time of day, week, whatever has no part in it.

I suppose that HP could have done as you say and simply divided every 24 hour period earnings figure into a 60/40 split, but they didn't.  The method they use seems fairly common on other sites, as well. 

It's not difficult for computers to assign who the impression belongs to, either.  Every visitor, as they are directed to the proper location, is simply assigned that designation as they are directed. 

A forum post from Paul Deeds that says this same thing, plus it gives a link to another post giving instructions on how to test it:
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/8830#post94489

Check out both the link here and the link given in that post, which also explains some as well as giving instructions.

I confess what you are saying does make more sense now. I read the link and the link within the link, and although 5 years old I assume the same could still apply, but were certainly news to me as the wording in recent years since has not been quite so clear with regard to the split being 'per view' as opposed to random hours in any one period of time.

At the very least for the purposes of clarifying things for the original poster, it is important they realise they are not being paid per Adsense block they see, but that only one block is relevant to Adsense (as they said they were on HP Ads), and that other Adsense blocks they see are actually creating a chunk of their HP Ad revenue.

smile

That's right, at least as far as I know.  That bottom adsense ad is the only one that adsense pays for; all others are through the HPads program.  It's why using HPads nearly obliterates adsense income.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this
        Techstuffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks this helped alot.  I am going to give it a few weeks without the Ad program just for comparison, but I suspect I will end up turning it back on in due course.

But thanks for the info.

2. suramyakh profile image59
    suramyakhposted 11 years ago

If you turn AdSense off, you cannot earn from HP Ads or eBay, so you might want to keep it on! smile

1. tiffanyz profile image61
      tiffanyzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How long before you guys were accepted in the Adsense program?

Techstuffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I applied as a limited company for something else prior to using hubpages.  I was accepted the same day.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If I understand correctly you are on Hubads.  That means only one small ad on each hub is adsense so of course it does not earn much.  Although how much it earns is moot, because you can't turn it off.

4. profile image0
    loseraspieposted 11 years ago

Not. Go with Amazon AdSense.

I think you suggested this in another thread already, and I pointed out there is no such thing as 'Amazon Adsense' only Amazon Affiliates which is a completely different thing, and can be used as well as Adsense/HP Ads programs.

5. Techstuff profile image58
    Techstuffposted 11 years ago

Thanks all.  Seems I have no choice but to stay with what I have.  Better get writing some new articles to boost my earnings then.

6. ilscherzo profile image67
    ilscherzoposted 11 years ago

Amazon does not have/is not Adsense.

7. Cliff Mendrez profile image88
    Cliff Mendrezposted 11 years ago

I have always understood it the same way as wilderness. I think that is also the reason why you get more than 60% of your total visits as your actual impressions. Or at least that is the case for me.

8. snlee profile image67
    snleeposted 11 years ago

I seldom get good earnings from Adsense clicks, probably because I don't post niche articles. But by joining HP Ads and Ebay, there is at least some earnings coming from readers who really read my articles. Nowadays Adsense CPC is rather low too, even in my own personal website. Perhaps it may be better to try other alternatives to improvement on earnings.

If you joined HPads no, you won't get many clicks at all.  There is, I believe, only one adsense ad left that is not a part of HPads and it's clear at the bottom.  You won't see many clicks from just that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)