I was just looking through my earnings, and I am making way more via hubpages earnings program than I am with my own adsense ads shoing up. I believe a 3rd or the ads would be my own adsense ones, but it only accounts for like a few percent of my earnings.
Anyone else experience this, and do you think I should just turn off my own adsense?
The way you earn through either Adsense or the HP Ad program is not based on how many ads are on your hubs i.e. you don't get a proportion of the ads. You earn through a percentage of the earnings, so in any one 24 hour period HP will take 40% of the Ad revenue (whichever system you are on) and the other 60% of the day you will take the revenue from. The hours they count as yours or theirs apparently vary and are not fixed.
Right now you will see various Adsense Ads on your hubs even on the HP Ad program, but be aware that all but one of those are being paid to you via the HP Ad program, and only the last Adsense block ad on the bottom right of your hub is being paid to you via Adsense directly (make sure your hubs are long enough for this one to appear in your articles).
This might help you see which Ads get paid from which company:
That's not quite correct. HP assigns a code number to each visitor (either yours or theirs) on a random basis that gives your code 60% of the time and theirs 40% of the time. Any income from that visit is then credited to the appropriate code. Income is not divided up over a 24 hour period and neither is it done on a time basis (6 hours to you and 4 hours to HP).
http://blog.hubpages.com/2009/03/hubpag … explained/
Just read the link Wilderness because that is not as I have understood it. As far as I can tell nothing in the link says anything any different to what I said i.e. 60% of the time Ad revenue is attributed to the hubber and 40% of the time to HP. Can you be more specific and quote which part states that a 'code is attributed to each visitor' as that is a new one on me? Thanks.
Edit: Quote from the FAQ: "Every time someone views one of your Hubs, we display ads. 60% of the time, these ads can generate revenue for you, and 40% of the time, the ads can generate revenue for HubPages. We make it easy for you to sign up for all of these!"
I think part of the problem is that the article you linked to was published in 2009 by a long gone staff member, so it is very out of date when you consider the HP Ad program has come in since, and no doubt the FAQ's have also been updated.
From the section on adsense (HPads, Amazon and eBay work the same way):
"As you begin to attract traffic to your Hubs, 60% of the impressions will show your AdSense ID and 40% of the impressions will show the HubPages AdSense ID. This creates a 60/40 revenue split in your favor,..."
The adsense ID is the code I refer to, although for the other programs it is different.
Your quote is correct about 60% of the time, but the "time" doesn't refer to clock minutes or hours, it refers to the actual visits. If that makes sense. 60% of the page impressions are attributed to you and you receive all income from those impressions, whether HPads, Amazon, Adsense or eBay. The other 40% of the time the impressions go to HP.
HP chooses whether to give it to your or HP by use of a random number generator that gives you 60% of the impressions. The time of day, day of week, etc. have no bearing as that would not be a fair way to do it. "Your" impression can happen at any time, just depending on whether that random number generator picks you or HP.
You can see this, too, in Adsense numbers; they are approximately 60% of your actual traffic. Adsense only reports those impressions that are listed as "yours", which is 60% of the total.
The link is outdated, yes, but this same information came out with this explanation just last year in a forum discussion. I also found the link in the learning center; it should thus still be correct information.
Still not sure about this Wilderness, perhaps a staff member could confirm! I have never seen any reference to 'random number generators' or anything that says 'time of the week' could even be a factor. You may well be right, but as far as I can tell it is just as likely that the impressions etc are decided on a random 60/40 split over the course of any one 24 hour period (even if it isn't literally midnight to midnight). If it is based on actual visits that seems very hard for a program to calculate based on every hubber bearing in mind everyone has different quantities of views at different times and there are are thousands of us here.
To be honest I am now confused, and would really like staff to step in and spell it out in 'plain speak' so we know exactly how these 'random' 60/40 splits are decided.
Exactly! The time of day, week, whatever has no part in it.
I suppose that HP could have done as you say and simply divided every 24 hour period earnings figure into a 60/40 split, but they didn't. The method they use seems fairly common on other sites, as well.
It's not difficult for computers to assign who the impression belongs to, either. Every visitor, as they are directed to the proper location, is simply assigned that designation as they are directed.
A forum post from Paul Deeds that says this same thing, plus it gives a link to another post giving instructions on how to test it:
Check out both the link here and the link given in that post, which also explains some as well as giving instructions.
I confess what you are saying does make more sense now. I read the link and the link within the link, and although 5 years old I assume the same could still apply, but were certainly news to me as the wording in recent years since has not been quite so clear with regard to the split being 'per view' as opposed to random hours in any one period of time.
At the very least for the purposes of clarifying things for the original poster, it is important they realise they are not being paid per Adsense block they see, but that only one block is relevant to Adsense (as they said they were on HP Ads), and that other Adsense blocks they see are actually creating a chunk of their HP Ad revenue.
Please see: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Ad-Program
If you turn AdSense off, you cannot earn from HP Ads or eBay, so you might want to keep it on!
If I understand correctly you are on Hubads. That means only one small ad on each hub is adsense so of course it does not earn much. Although how much it earns is moot, because you can't turn it off.
Thanks all. Seems I have no choice but to stay with what I have. Better get writing some new articles to boost my earnings then.
I have always understood it the same way as wilderness. I think that is also the reason why you get more than 60% of your total visits as your actual impressions. Or at least that is the case for me.
I seldom get good earnings from Adsense clicks, probably because I don't post niche articles. But by joining HP Ads and Ebay, there is at least some earnings coming from readers who really read my articles. Nowadays Adsense CPC is rather low too, even in my own personal website. Perhaps it may be better to try other alternatives to improvement on earnings.
by Katleigh Merrier11 days ago
I've heard people talk about turning off Adsense to earn more from the Hubpages program, but I'm really confused about how this works. Does HubPages pay better than Adsense? I thought Adsense was required to make money...
by Cardia3 months ago
In the past I relied solely on Adsense to earn income from Hubpages, however this year I was able to finally open a PayPal account, so I signed up for the Hubpages Ad program. As expected, I saw a drop in my Adsense...
by Dr. John Anderson6 years ago
I think it is related to images being used for the HUB ads and Google ads. When I turned off the Hub ads my adsense revenue rose significantly. I think it is because the block of adsense ads to the right of the column...
by Don Bobbitt9 days ago
I have been using HP for over 7 years now, and I do make a few bucks from my writings. I can say that you will never get rich or even make a living off of HP, but you can make enough to, as I tell friends, "go out...
by Nathan Bernardo6 months ago
Some people have said they've turned off HP Ads and just use Adsense and actually make more money from Adsense. I'm considering trying that out and was curious how much more some of you are making just through Adsense....
by Kayla Hebert4 months ago
First, a little about my hubpages account. I am very new on hubpages. I've only been here for just over a week. I have 9 submitted articles 8 of which were featured immediately and 3 were added to...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.