Weekly Topic Inspiration: Oprah's Book Club and Oprah's Book Club 2.0

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

Good morning, Hubbers! Calling all bibliophiles...

Oprah’s Book Club ran for 15 years on The Oprah Winfrey Show promoting literacy and writing. Just last year, Oprah launched Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 on her popular website with a focus on digital media. Oprah’s endorsements of books carry so much weight that they usually result in “The Oprah Effect,” propelling her recommendations onto the best-seller list. If you follow Oprah’s Book Club, please share your experience for our new Topic, Oprah’s Book Club and Oprah’s Book Club 2.0.

Ideas for exceptional Hubs include how-to instructions on using the different features of Oprah’s Book Club 2.0, lists of best (and worst) Oprah’s Book Club books, and discussions of your favorite (and least favorite) features of Oprah’s Book Club.

NOTE: The Oprah’s Book Club and Oprah’s Book Club 2.0 Topic does not yet have enough Hubs to get a Topic Page, which is why it’s missing a link. But that makes it a great WTI choice. As soon as it contains 5+ featured Hubs, it will automatically get its very own Topic Page, and since it won’t already be overcrowded, your featured Hubs are sure to show up on the very first page. Happy writing!

To join in on this week's challenge by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green "answer this question" button.
    3)     Instead of answering the question in short form, click the gray "make a Hub about it" button. 
    4)    Give your Hub a title that follows our guidelines on crafting successful, competitive, search-friendly titles, which namely involves...

A. Creating a title that is short and descriptive, matching what someone would type into a search engine when looking for information on the subject.
    B. Researching the keywords (the things people might type into search engines) by Googling them to make sure that the topic is not already extensively covered online and that you can beat the top results.
    C. Covering a subject about which you are particularly passionate- or in which you have unique, useful expertise.

5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    Make sure the images you use are legally used and properly attributed so that your Hub has a chance of being selected as a Hub of the Day.
    7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

If you missed last week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration, you can find it here.

Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd really like to see a Hub on the "Oprah Effect." smile

1. barbat79 profile image64
        barbat79posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a catchy title!  It almost sounds like a movie or a syndrome.  This is just my wacky humor at work...  it comes out more when I am exhausted....I really do think it is a catchy title.

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go Oprah! Now, she's potentially going to have her own topic page on HubPages? Interesting! I don't follow the book club, so I won't be able to contribute a hub toward the endeavor, but I'm looking forward to reading what other hubbers have to say about it.

We thought she was a must for the Bestseller book Topic! smile

3. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oprah is so in need of prayers! I can see how much she struggles to find her way. I am not a follower anymore. She rips off people's ideas when you take your story to her. She is a fraud and a thief! I have my side ready and set to challenge where she picked this "Book Club 2.0" from?  It is a shame that billionaires like her,  think she can just take someones idea and claim it to be her "original" and make more money!   I know she is fallen on hard times. She tried a reality show that I was shocked by the candidness.
      I  wouldn't want my children to see someone be so fake~! 

Well, maybe it is a good lesson to "Buyer Beware"!

4. Christy Kirwan profile image93

Thanks so much for participating, everyone! Here's this week's new WTI. Stop by and take a look: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111701#post2378713

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I've always wondered about Oprah's book club and am intrigued by its new iteration. I look forward to seeing what people have to say about making the most of it!

That would mean research for me!

3. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

If someone wants to know about this topic, why wouldn't they just go straight to the source? I don't see how a hub about the 'Oprah effect' would be interesting at all.
    Like I said, if I wanted to know about Oprah's book club, I would just go there.

Hubbers have a lot of personal knowledge and experience that brings added value to their work. Oprah's website is certainly a great resource, but users won't automatically know the pros and cons of its features, or which books are worth reading, or even how to navigate the site. I think that's one of the reasons Hubs (and Hubbers) are so awesome. smile

4. barbat79 profile image64
    barbat79posted 11 years ago

I am not certain this would be the best hub for me to write... I am not at all familiar with the topic.  I will need to read everyone else's hubs!   I am looking at the info though.

It might be a fun opportunity to do an "Oprah's Book Club for Beginners" Hub to help others learn the stuff you're finding out right now by looking. ^_^

5. barbat79 profile image64
    barbat79posted 11 years ago

LOL  it might have to be for "DUMMIES"   LOL

Haha! The elegance of simplicity and clarity IS terribly underrated most of the time. wink

6. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

Maybe a reference hub about the Top 10 Book Clubs would be interesting and 'evergreen'. Why would there be pros and cons about a specific book club? Basically, one would either like it or dislike it.
    I am not able to think of a single topic angle about "The Oprah Effect" that would make a good hub.

In my thinking, and we all are different, why would you need an angle at all to begin?
      Perhaps just beginning the article will drive out the main focus of your hub.
      This is what happens with me sometimes....idk  just a thought.
      Best wishes Austinstar!

7. Redmallard profile image58
    Redmallardposted 11 years ago

Woo! I've been waiting for one of these I could participate in. I've been following the Oprah Book Club for as long as I can remember. Reading the comments now, a hub on the Oprah effect could be interesting to talk about. I'll write up an outline tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks for a neat topic!

I'm glad you're joining us this week, Redmallard!

8. Jools99 profile image88
    Jools99posted 11 years ago

I wrote this hub 15 months ago or so and it is evergreen and it still gets regular traffic so I think people may still like to get a different view on the Oprah Book Club than its official site.  I was mainly interested in Oprah's ability to encourage people to read and review books - we all have a right to do that, not just proper book critics.
    http://jools99.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10- … Book-Club.

Awesome Hub, Jools99!

1. Jools99 profile image88
        Jools99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

9. WriteAngled profile image72
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I've never heard of Oprah or her book club.

Oprah Winfrey is a popular American television personality. She had a daytime talk show for 25 years, and though her show no longer runs, she still has her own TV station, magazine, and website. She is also one of the world's first African-American billionaires, and engages in a lot of philanthropy and charity work. Her book club was a feature of her TV show, and its new iteration is part of her website. All of the featured books carry her seal of approval, making them instant best-sellers in many cases. Hope that helps!

2. MarleneB profile image92

Surely, you jest WriteAngled!

Of course, I'm just teasing you here. I just can't imagine anyone who has not heard of Oprah Winfrey. smile

10. WriteAngled profile image72
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Oh, I see. I live in Wales and I have not really watched TV for quite a few years now, because there is always something else I need or want to do instead. That explains why I have never heard of her.

1. MarleneB profile image92

Oh, OK! If you don't watch TV, then that of course explains it. I don't really follow Oprah Winfrey, although I hear a lot about her. She's a real biggie over here. Your country is so rich with art, I can see why you would prefer to do other things.

2. aa lite profile image84
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I used to have to shout at my mother when she watched Oprah.  Without me she would have slid into total intellectual inanity.  Luckily I was able to finally persuade her to fill her days watching proper stuff.

Negative impressions are valuable too, when they're informative. You should consider writing a Hub on why you think Oprah's Book Club is a bad influence on people, intellectually. smile

1. aa lite profile image84
          aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I could.....but then people would think I was an intellectual snob and wouldn't like me sad

Even if others don't agree with your opinion, I don't think anyone will hold it against you, especially if you provide good reasons and personal examples. After all, if everyone agreed about everything all the time, no one would ever learn anything! Don't feel pressured to write on this Topic, but I don't want you to feel like your input isn't valuable just because you don't like Oprah.

11. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

Oprah has a huge effect on what people do, especially women.  I'm sure her book club has influenced many.  I know she's featured books like "Great Expectations" and "Anna Karenena" certainlyn far reaching genres.  Amazon even lists books from her book club.

12. btrbell profile image85
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

How about a hub that talks about joing the book club and what it entails. I have always followed Oprah's book clubs but since the 2.0 came out i have beeen so busy (writing hubs, of course!) that I haven't been able to get involved. What do you think of the idea that I join and write about my take away of that experience?

That sounds like it would make a phenomenal Hub, btrbell!

13. btrbell profile image85

Thank you, Christy! I am in the process of signing up right now.

14. btrbell profile image85

This is my contribution to this topic. I hope you enjoy it!

http://btrbell.hubpages.com/hub/How-to- … ok-Club-20

Wow, this is SUCH a great Hub, btrbell! I especially like your explanation of the different features Oprah provides, and your list of pros and cons is very helpful too!

1. btrbell profile image85
        btrbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Christy! I love the concept of the Weekly Inspiration Hub because you do get fired up and inspired when you decide to write it! Thanks so much for checking it out!

2. btrbell profile image85
        btrbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christy, it looks like I need to thank you again. Hub of the day! Wow! Thank you so much! I am honored!

Thank YOU for making a great Hub! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)