Should Hub Hopper writer-to-writer feedback/critique be possible?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 11 years ago

I'm fairy new to Hub Pages, but one of the things I really enjoy is reading through the Hub Hopper - you never know what topic is going to pop out at you OR how good or bad the next article will be, ha! But some of the really good ones could be even better with some good writer-to-writer feedback. For instance, sometimes a question pops into my mind that is probably something the author would liked to have answered within the subject, but didn't realize it was missing, etc. Or, other times - just a general (never mean) helpful critique could make so many of those good articles really good ones. What if there was some sort of anonymous way for Hub Writers to critique each other's work; and/or maybe give that as an option for Hub Authors if they want it, as opposed to Hubbers who don't. What are the possibilities?

1. Simone Smith profile image81
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Misfit Chick!
      Presently, the best means of giving another Hubber feedback is by leaving a comment or sending him or her an email (through the "send [username] an email" option of the Fan Mail tab of a user's profile; here's mine as an example: http://simonesmith.hubpages.com/#email)
      We have thought of making it possible for Hubbers to provide feedback through the Hub Hopper (and interestingly enough, admins can submit notes for review by other admins when calibrating our system), but we have not chosen to build it in to our present public Hub Hopper.

For the most part, we have not done this because we are instead developing a more functional means of providing contextual feedback. Hopefully we'll be able to roll that out soon.

That said, I'll bring up your suggestion in this week's community meeting!

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like hub hopping too, it helps to see what others are writing about so we don't oversaturate the subject, and some of the hubs are just good reading. But there isn't a lot of time to spend when you write alot yourself. If I have a suggestion, I just try to say it in a nice way as I hop. Something like, "This is an interesting topic, maybe you could add a few facts to make it longer (if it's too short) or "A few pictures would really add to this!" You can say things in a way so as not to hurt feelings. If you start contacting too many people via HP and they get your email address, you could get overwhelmed with mail from too many people, a big time waster.

2. Simone Smith profile image81
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Acknowledged, Jean Bakula!

That said, we still think it will be more effective for us to implement a 'suggest an edit' mechanism that works on Hubs in all formats- not just via the Hub Hopper. Believe it or not, very, very few people actually hop Hubs!

I hope we'll be able to roll this out soon. I so appreciate your interest in helping Hubbers improve their work and would love to provide you with tools that make it easier to do so. smile

2. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Theoretically, what you suggest could work well.

We all need feedback, but I guess that is what the comments section is for.

Telling someone about spelling or grammatical errors can at present be done either through the author contact button, or through comments with the added criteria of 'please feel free to delete my comment'.

Telling someone their information is plain wrong is another thing.

I made the mistake of reading a hub that showed up on the 'related hubs' section of one of my hubs. I contacted the author (whose English was suspect) to point out the errors in his hub.
      He corrected them, and his hub now ranks above mine on Google.

Mine is a 1500 word detailed article. His pushes 500 words and is totally lacking in information.

I can see loads of cases where peer feedback would be helpful to new web authors, most relating to hub titles.

There are some brilliant new authors emerging, but they need to learn how to title their hubs.

Poor Izzy,
        I would be upset too if I gave somebody advice and then they got a higher ranking than I did when I wrote better stuff on my work. Writing about my topics (I believe we can't say what on these forums, yes)?, you should see the bizarre things they put in my sidebar, "Maybe you would be interested in ..." which has nothing to do with what I wrote. I dislike that feature so much.

2. relache profile image65
    relacheposted 11 years ago

If you like doing detailed editing work for free, just go ahead and do it.  But don't suggest that it be built into the system here.

3. Misfit Chick profile image75

Thanks Simone, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who thought this would be a semi-good idea.

And relache - I will make any suggestion I want to in here with the system or otherwise, thank you very much. I didn't say anything about 'detailed editing work' - but making a small suggestion easier without having to leave the page to go off and write a separate email is probably not something I'm likely to do. And, it doesn't take that much extra time to type a couple of feedback sentences.

4. To Start Again profile image69
    To Start Againposted 11 years ago

I would love to see something like this. Maybe an editing option that hubbers and readers could use?
    If hubbers would like critique (serious critique, not just "good job, you're great at everything" stuff) then maybe they could check a box or something when publishing. Then if a reader from HP wants to offer critique or layout or editing advice, they could submit something to the hubbers email.

It would be similar to putting a hub in the forum to be critiqued but it would be on the hub itself. I don't know how plausible it really is but I know I would love to use it. I have also wondered why we can't contact hubbers anymore? Were there too many problems with weirdos sending emails?

5. WriteAngled profile image71
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Were this to happen, I would want authors to have an opt-in on whether to receive such messages or not. I already have sufficient email from Hubpages without having to deal with a deluge of "helpful" comments from wanna-be editors.

Yes, that's why the only way I would bother is if I'm hopping anyway, which I do from time to time. A suggestion to improve something obviously wrong doesn't hurt anyone. I also get deluged with email from people and don't want even more.

6. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think it is best to leave a comment or send a message.

7. WriteAngled profile image71

Agreed. The extra effort involved in sending a message would restrict it to really serious matters. What I want to avoid is people bombarding me with "corrections" to my UK spelling or trying to impose usage of the Oxford comma and suchlike.

8. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't suggest that any of it be anonymous,Misfit Chick. While you would be nice, there are nasties out there who would use it to be, well, nasty. Some folks are just that way. I think that leaving a comment in the hub would be ok to do gentle suggestions. But I'd tend to do that only if the writer had comments set to only when approved.

1. psycheskinner profile image76
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And if you don't people trying to be nice and offer helpful critique will be attacked and cyber-stalked by nasty people who take any criticism as a personal attack.

Easier to just not do it, IMHO.

Misfit Chickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the benefits far outweigh the cyber-stalking - anyone can cyberstalk from anywhere. Maybe Hub writers who 'crique' should have to be at a certain entrusted 'rank' within Hubpages to ensure that peeps who are both semi-qualified and somewhat proven themselves in here. I know alot of writers hate critique - but, some of us could really use it, appreciate the help in honing our skills, and honestly - it's GOOD for writers to receive feedback. I understand that this is an available thing to do outside of the Hub Hopper. But having it handy in the Hub Hopper seems like it would be more helpful for us all.

9. To Start Again profile image69
    To Start Againposted 11 years ago

Maybe it could be a service offered by hubpages. You can submit an article for critique and a group of hubbers picked by the staff will be given the job of critiquing your work. It could be an anonymous at random editor or you could pick one specifically? I don't know.... roll

10. WriteAngled profile image71

Maybe the best way would be to have a closed forum, to which people could apply for membership. Those who are scared to publish without peer approval could post their draft hubs there and those who like submitting critiques could do so, while leaving the rest of us in peace.

11. psycheskinner profile image76

It seems to me that we already have a subforum for that.

12. psycheskinner profile image76

It is good for writers who sign up for it. 

Unrequested critiquing, no matter how well meant, is a recipe for conflict.

Misfit Chickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would like to reiterate this from the original question: good writer-to-writer feedback. For instance, sometimes a question pops into my mind that is probably something the author would liked to have answered within the subject, but didn't realize it was missing, etc. Or, other times - just a general (never mean) helpful critique could make so many of those good articles really good ones.
      I wouldn't bother with the 'bad' ones. I suggested this because those of us who are serious writers in here usually WANT to know when something is wrong with what we've written.
      That's why I think it would be a good idea if it were a privilege to be earned in here based on Hubpage rank and/or if a person wants to provide feedback in this way.
      Putting it in the Hubber would make it easy for everyone - and again, if you're a bad writer I wouldn't worry about it. You won't get much mail, just low scores. I've only been inspired to do this with ALREADY GOOD writing that I wanted to help be better.
      Honest, responsible literary critiques (maybe there could be a monitor to make sure they are just that if you're all so such we can't be grown-ups) do not have to remind you of a sixth-grade playground argument.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can always ask the author for more elaboration in the comments section.  If you encounter a hub in the Hopper and the comments section is inaccessible, copy and past the title into HP's search function and find the hub that way.

13. psycheskinner profile image76

My comments are moot as hubpages have already said what they will be doing.

But I think the feelings my opinion generated actually demonstrate that sincerity and good intent are not always enough to cause a message to be received with open arms as just one person's opinion and attempt to be helpful.

14. TheKatsMeow profile image86
    TheKatsMeowposted 11 years ago

I think it would be nice if a group of volunteers left feedback for new writers. Sometimes when I read through new hubs, I might see a problem or have an idea on how they can improve their work, but I just don't want to write it in the comments, I don't feel it's the right place and I don't want anyone to take my comments the wrong way. I might see things that a person can change, but that doesn't mean I am above getting critiqued. I wouldn't want to insult someone, when I was simply trying to help them out.

15. Misfit Chick profile image75

I can see how that would be a conflict... Now I wonder if there are Hubbers who read through articles in the Hub Hopper just to give lower ratings to good content, etc. I would imagine that's why our scores are based on a few different things. I guess I'm just not the competitive type. I think if all the writers on Hubpages could collectively improved their writing, that would only benefit Hubpages as a whole. And of course, writers who really want feedback can use the forum. Btw, I would leave feedback in the comments, but in *my* Hubhopper, I don't see them. I apparently have to go do a search for the article and then leave comments from there. Very inconvenient.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those who purposely give lower ratings to good content will be "penalized". Their hopping scores won't be given very much weight in determining QAP scores. So basically those who do this are just wasting their time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)