Red Arrow Mission

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (51 posts)
  1. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Hey, what if we all visited a fellow hubber who's experiencing decreased traffic and blue arrow blues to lift them up? Several hubbers have shared that things are slow right now. I just stopped by a view of their subdomains, read a hub that appealed to me, and left a comment. How about you do the same? See the forum link below to pick at least one hubber to visit.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112514

I know, I know. Real traffic is organic, sent by google. That's not what this is about. This is about morale, support, and hub love. Don't forget to click on Like, 1+, Pinterest, and Share with Followers.

1. travmaj profile image74
      travmajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like this idea - I'll give it a go - always good to have some recognition. And it means I read another interesting hub.
      And thanks to LCD Writer - I have now located the share button that was eluding me.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great to have you on board, it's been fun getting to know other hubbers.

2. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I want to do this.   I'm trying to figure out how to share when it is not in the newsfeed anymore.  I'm looking around for the share button.

3. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

Ooh, never mind I think I found it.  It is under the pin it button on the hub you are reading in case anyone else wants to know.

Glad you found it, LCDWriter. Give it a whirl, have fun meeting new hubbers.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Good idea, Jan - I need the diversion, and I always enjoy reading the great hubs here.  It will be a nice break from analyzing traffic patterns and locating headache meds.

Good Marcy, glad to help you get out of the negative zone. smile I've also had a lot of fun getting to know you better and read your work. Hope you see some red arrows soon.

5. janshares profile image93

Visit this forum thread as well and give a hubber a boost.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/112557

6. ologsinquito profile image83
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

That's a great idea.

Have fun, ologsinquito. Get to know another hubber. Thanks again for visitng me. Very kind of you. smile

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

On my Red Arrow Mission - have visited and shared!

So glad you're on board.

8. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

It's a great idea Jan and that is what Hubville is all about.  Helping each other out.  If you leave a comment and it shows on your page, someone else might read it too!
    Happy Mother's Day.

Absolutely, tillsontiton, that's the idea. I hope others catch on. I hope you had a great Mother's Day, too.

9. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 10 years ago

I'll be curious to see what happens when Google sees a small group of HubPages users all suddenly visiting a cluster of specific subdomains.  I wonder if that looks like an intentional traffic exchange to them...

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Got to agree with this~

2. janshares profile image93

You think? I doubt that it would be enough to look agregious (although that would be awesome). I don't think we have that much power. As I said, this is really about boosting morale and supporting each other with comments and internal traffic. So many hubbers are down right now with this traffic dip. It's depressing to see. And the theories behind the dip are getting more dismal by the hour. Eye-yi-yi sad

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google Adsense specifically forbids "traffic exchanges". smile

10. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 10 years ago

Don't want to rain on your parade but from a long term perspective this won't help.  It is great to support hubbers, read their hubs etc but what really matters is search engine traffic. Clicking into someone's hubs to give them a view on their stats board won't help their google rankings.  I suggest using the title tuner, tweaking hubs, updating content and spending your time improving your own hubs. But that's just my two cents...

What she said ^ Pointless activity.

If you want to help, go pin their images, share their hubs on your social networks etc (as opposed to a comment, or sharing with your own followers). It may not be much, but at least it might bring them real traffic.

Also, traffic exchanges break Adsense rules.

I did mention Pinterest, "Like", etc. But I appreciate your point. What is traffic exchange? Does that mean going to each other's hubs?

Traffic Exchanges are any type of organised efforts to get views. Anything involving "I'll visit yours if you visit mine" mentality. That includes traffic exchange sites where you earn points for visiting people's sites, or exchange views, or pay for traffic. ANY traffic which is organised in any way, other than through natural sharing or organic search.

Thanks, WryLilit for explanation. However, it confuses me even more when I see a forum here for the past several months to "Recommend Another Hubber's Hub." Is it different if we don't use the phrase 'increase traffic' and the intent is to 'recommend?'
            I guess what you all are saying is that since my intent to support and lift morale was prompted by hubbers complaining of low traffic, that sullies the main point of my Red Flag Mission (as does the title of the post).

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sullied, maybe, but only to google.  Never forget that the King of the Web is a strict (and often completely unreasonable) taskmaster.  When you set up such things it interferes with google's determination of what is good and what is bad content because it's mostly counted by traffic and you are giving traffic without regard to quality. 

Your idea was very nice and it was helpful, but it also throws a (very small) monkey wrench into Google's calculations.

Interesting, even small wrenches make a difference to the King, huh? Anyway, I read over my initial post and I hope the lines, "Real traffic is organic, sent by google. This is not what this is about," were read by googles bots. It's clear in all my naivite that I had no ill intent to blow up traffic, only to increase morale by an extra red arrow or two. Thanks, wilderness for your wisdom.

1. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I would be amazed if google took any notice at all.

The thing is, you never know just what that Giant is thinking.  It's like the extreme prudishness of HP - required because google (adsense) requires it. 

Your heart was (is) in the right place, but that's all it takes sometimes.  Best be a little more careful about ideas on providing traffic.  Keep your aim firmly on getting organic, search engine, traffic whether for yourself or for someone else.

Got it, Ace. Will continue to support fellow hubbers without using certain words and phrasings.

Thanks, WorkAtHomeMums. I get that, the main focus is support. I appreciate your two cents. smile

11. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

3 days back I had a Hubber score of 96 and now it is 87. Majority of my Hub scores also have gone down and the traffic too. Can't figure out what is wrong.

That is frustrating, Anamika. I hope it doesn't cause you too much stress for long. It will go back up in time.

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Since this thread was only seen and acted on by a small group (in the Google and HP scheme of things), I doubt its good intentions had anything other than good results.  To me, the bigger issue is the social media sharing among groups of writers - all sites like this one have groups that almost serve as Click Clubs).  I'm fairly certain patterns such as 20 writers always viewing each others hubs, and all of the views driven from FB, would be picked up in a data mining analysis.

We have groups here of several hundred Hubbers who regularly post their own hubs as well as the hubs of others and regularly give each other 'views.'  They're not clocking on ads - that would be grounds for losing AdSense, but I've wondered whether Google might penalize sites that show that sort of activity.  It's not organic traffic, and it's way different from someone reading an online newspaper and regularly following the humor columnist or sports writer. That sort of behavior doesn't generate what could be seen as reciprocal views.  Or, maybe Google doesn't care.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

click cliques, lol.

Yes, excellent points, Marcy. Therein lies my confusion about a lot of what I've seen here on HP that seems to be okay to do.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just because someone posts in the forums and says to "do something" doesn't mean "it's okay."

Reading all the various terms of use for the sites involved and staying current on how search engines are operating is the best way I've found over the past decade for determining what is "okay."

13. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 10 years ago

I've been wondering about this too, Marcy! Good point here!

14. Mark Johann profile image59
    Mark Johannposted 10 years ago

I think all of hubbers these days have decreasing traffic. Let's check our other hubbers around.

15. janshares profile image93

Good point above, Marcy about seeing nothing wrong with taking a break from all the negative and taking some time to support each other. That was my whole point exactly.

This was a lively and informative forum thread. I appreciate all who took the time to share their opinions and offer critiques on the way this forum post was presented. I learned so much about taking into consideration how things can be perceived regardless of intent.

Happy hubbing and continue to give support to your fellow hubbers. smile

16. sharmakartikey profile image60
    sharmakartikeyposted 10 years ago

This is actually a very good Idea, I have not posted many hubs but its heart warming to see that this community actually cares for each other. Now I feel like posting more, and I'd be glad to help in any way and generous for any that comes my way ... smile

Thanks. Have a nice day

You too, sharmakartikey. Good luck on HP smile

17. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

You idea Jan was in trying to helping the morale around here, and nothing wrong with that. I think though if we learn to understand life has its ups and downs, and so does blogging for any place you choose, a person can ride this wave easier. Use this down period for learning, tweaking, and writing, with the knowing, as with everything, the wheel will turn again, and our hubs will see ups again. Watch what you focus on, for it can deplete your energy or raise it. I prefer to keep my energy up.

Thank you for that, Renee Abbott. I see it the same, great advice.

18. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 10 years ago

Upping each others visits, just to get red arrows is a bit like putting lipstick on, then staying indoors and admiring yourself in the mirror.

You have to get out there and be noticed by people for the adoration to really count for anything.

Maybe another idea might be for people to pick 3 hubs and pin them on Pinterest, share somewhere or whatever.

Yup, earner. Pinterest was suggested as well in the original post. I love my lipstick, my the way. wink

19. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

Love Pinterest, and is a great tool for hubbers.
    You are welcome Jan

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)