jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Video Hubs Too Slow Streaming

1. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 4 years ago

I have a  Video Hub  which contains two videos.

The first video (uploaded to HP from my computer takes so long streaming that anyone watching  loses patience and clicks off the page. The second video (from YouTube) a few paragraphs further down the page, streams fine, no problem at all.

So what is going on? Does anyone else find that their Video Hub videos keep stopping every 3 seconds? sad

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I tested the video on multiple computers with different broadband speeds and providers and the video loaded pretty quickly for me.
      The issue is likely to be related to your ISP's download speed.
      As for the videos loading differently, the first video is hosted on HubPages, it may be a higher resolution than the embedded YouTube video, so the effective file size could be larger and therefore load slower.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

It sounds more browser related.  I watched through part of the videos without a problem.  The first video has an advertisement that I could not skip which first time viewers may click off.  I never got to the football part until I refreshed the browser and tried again.  It played fine.

3. Sue Adams profile image93

Thank you Rebekah. Still strange though that only the 1st video was slow.

4. Sue Adams profile image93

Thank you for looking into this Mathew.

Re your last remark:
    The first video that is slower is also hosted on my YouTube channel, uploaded to YouTube from the same original file which is also uploaded to HubPages. So how come it plays well on YouTube but streams much slower on HP?

I no longer publish Video Hubs on HP because of its slow streaming. I think Video Hubs are another failure a HP. We don't need them. I much prefer to use YouTube videos and place them where I want on the page.

But that's just my experience.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So how come it plays well on YouTube but streams much slower on HP?
      Google has more geo-located servers, so it could be due to their having a server far closer to you. In some cases they have servers location in an ISP's network center.

The main advantage for a HubPages-hosted video is the potential for ad-revenue.

working