My worst fears in a hotel room--confirmed!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Proud Mom profile image61
    Proud Momposted 15 years ago

I just came across this article on yahoo! travel.  Being someone who has always been rather uptight about staying in hotel rooms, the title caught my eye, "Confessions of a Hotel Housekeeper".  She goes on to talk about how well (or not) she actually cleaned the rooms.  Take a peek.  I'm interested to know if you are as disturbed as I was.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25303242

2. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Hmm sounds pretty reasonable to me - do you vacuum your own home every day or clean the sink -  I certainly don't! I worked as a housemaid long time ago and I can assure you it is a fantastic way to get fit and work crap hours! IMHO people with kids should be charged an extra cleaning fee! Business men were the best - the basically walk in walk out - rarely even use a coffee cup.

I expect the place to be clean - but if a toilet is already clean - what does it matter whether its scrubbed or not ? I insist on clean sheets and check before I accept a room - but that's at cheaper places overseas

3. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

My sister used to be a housekeeper at a resort up in the mountains and cleaning other peoples' rooms was an interesting experience for her.  Their boss would give them a time frame to clean each room on a daily basis and insisted only certain things be done, so my sister could not even do extra cleaning if she wanted too.  Honestly I can sympathize with certain things the housekeeper said in the article about the man who watched her clean the room and told her that was building character.  How demeaning can some people be? 

My sister appreciated the good hours and pay that came with this particular job, which had better compensation than many hotels.  However, she said the number one complaint was how some resort guests went out of their way to make unneeded messes.  It was not unknown to find used condoms inside the beds or sanitary napkins left on top of dressers.  I also went to some hotels with friends who thought it was funny to make a mess for housekeeping because "they did not have to clean it up," so I guess I try to see this issue from both sides. 

Of course a room should be clean, but I would not expect them to clean the sink every day for me if I was staying there.  I always tried to leave my rooms exceptionally neat and even made my own bed. 

Another alternative for people that do not want to stay in hotels could be a house exchange.  This way you could get to know the people you were exchanging houses before meeting.  Also, it would be a potential way to save money on a trip because they are staying in your house, and you are staying in theirs.

Proud Momposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I can't even imagine having to do that with someone watching you.  I think that is ridiculous.  I hope that's not the norm.

It's sad that people would do something specifically to laugh at someone else having to work harder because of them.   I just don't care for the fact that I am punished for their behavior.

Sounds like your sister has good work ethic.  She sounds like a very nice person.

1. SweetiePie profile image80
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

She was happy to leave housekeeping, even though that particular job I think she made almost 13 dollars per hour and had full time.  That was a very well paying job for housekeeping  and the only reason she stayed as long as she did.

Out of curiosity, did your sister receive monetary tips as the norm?  I've met alot of people who never knew it was warranted.

4. Proud Mom profile image61

Lissie,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. 
    It's probably unreasonable of me, but I do, indeed vacuum, mop and scrub bathrooms everyday.
    You make a good point, but what I have a problem with is that we as consumers are led to believe that cleaning is getting done that is, in fact, not getting done.  If the hotel is not going to pay well enough to warrant a vacuumed floor and a scrubbed bathroom upon arrival, they should not tell us we will be getting those services. 
    I always leave a nice tip for the service we receive and make a point to speak to each and every service person, letting them know how very much I appreciate what they do.  I do not leave dirty diapers in the trash.  I wrap them in one of the extra trash bags at the bottom of the can and take them to the dumpster.  I don't want to smell them, either.  My children are taught to behave, no matter where we are, as if we were at our own home.  i spread my own covers back up in the morning, and gather all used towels and glasses to one spot to try to make them easier to replace.
    The point of all of this is that we as the consumers of the hotel business are looked down upon for patronizing the business at all unless we "walk in, walk out and never use a coffee cup".  We pay for the service, are told we will get the service, and find out we're not actually getting the service.
    I'm very sorry for the bad experiences you have had, but I promise that none of them were with me.

5. Pam Roberson profile image69
    Pam Robersonposted 15 years ago

Proud Mom, I have to agree with you. I also saw a show on TV about this very thing. The things that end up on those bedspreads alone keep me out of hotels unless I absolutely have no choice. A friend of mine ended up getting bed bug bites all over her body from staying at a hotel. She spent months of treatment (including taking steroids) to control the itching and make it go away. sad Perhaps she was hypersensitive to the bugs, I really don't know because I've never experienced that.

Oh...and my brother is the same. He actually takes an air mattress and his own linens to hotels. lol!

BEDBUGS, Pam?????  Eeewwww!  I can't fathom!!  I bet she doesn't stay in hotels anymore!!

6. SweetiePie profile image80

None of these experiences were mine, I was just sharing what my sister thought about working as a housekeeper.  Honestly I am also turned off by a dirty hotel room myself, and next time I thinking about a house exchange or staying with friend would be something fun to do when I travel.  Of course you as the paying customer have the right to ask for these services if the hotel advertises as such because that is false on their part.  I just have assumed all along whenever I stay in a hotel it is not very clean, even the ones that look clean to the sight of the eye.

I'm sorry, Sweetie Pie.  (That's what I call my daughter smile ) I was responding to the first comment I guess at the same time you were typing.  The first reply I made was to Lissie.  Staying with a friend is definetly my preferred place of accomodations.  big_smile

1. SweetiePie profile image80
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry, I am not real good at following the forums at times.  One thing I was thinking too of suggesting was if you stay in a hotel that advertises full cleaning services and does not do so, you could always ask for a partial refund.  I would imagine they want to keep their customers happy.

Once when my hubby and I checked into a very nice Hilton, he went straight to the bathroom to take a shower because we were late for dinner.  After the water turned off, I heard this expletive and saw something fly across the room.  When I went to investigate I found a pair of men's boxer shorts that were very obviously not his.  He said he reached for a towel on the shelf above the toilet, brought it to his face and realized something didn't feel right.  That's when he opened his eyes and found the boxers inside the towel!  We went straight to the desk.  Although we got to listen to some hearty laughs, we received NO compensation.

2. bgpappa profile image77
      bgpappaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree that it comes down to basic customer service.  They shouldn't advertise and charge for expectations that they have no intention on keeping.  That being said, be nice to the people who clean the rooms.  They are doing a job and trying to make a living.  I have noticed the nicer you are, the better the service.  A little tip for good service is nice too.

My own story, dirtiest room I ever stayed in was $300 a night.  When I complained the manager was shocked that I actually expected a clean toilet, but one that wasn't already full.  Refused any sort of accomadation.  I left, stayed at a $99 a night place.  The room was great.  Really the whole industry is hit and miss.

Amen, bgpappa!  And I love your avatar!

7. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

After staying in hotels in India and MOngolia, none of the above would bother me at all.

The worst was a "hotel" in Mongolia where the water wasn't working at all (incl. the loo), there was mould all over the walls, and a big hole in the (concrete) outside wall. It was mainly in business as the local knocking shop, as we discovered the noisy way.

After that, we preferred to camp in Mongolia!

8. SweetiePie profile image80

This is a very interesting topic, so I am going to create a hub request asking hubbers to share their worst hotel experience.

9. Proud Mom profile image61

Great idea!  I'd like to be the first one to read it!!!  big_smile

10. SweetiePie profile image80

I just put in the request right now if even one is interested in tackling this topic.

11. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I will -= but not tonight, Josephine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)