Editor's Choice

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I'm just curious to see if you have Editor's Choice Hubs, and if so, is the traffic any better on those??  I opted out in the very beginning of this feature, but I'm wondering now if I made a mistake. 
    I know I can't make a change for a while.  Any ideas??

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many of mine are EC and the views and earnings are going up steadily. I was worried at first because there was an initial drop, but that corrected itself and it's been increasing ever since.  I'm continuing to cross my fingers that this will be a long-term thing.  I have in the neighborhood of 70 EC hubs. My other hubs that are not EC are still getting traffic too, but I get a lot of social media traffic more than Google to those, so I really can't speculate what Google will do to the sub-domains.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mary, all of my 91 hubs are featured, but do not have any Editor's Choices.  There was an email that they were slowly getting around to giving more and placing an accolade too on one's profile.  Wow, 70 EC up there to ChristinS, how interesting.

They are still going through all of them and the process will take some time. Not sure in what order they are going through them.

3. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mary I have seen inceasing traffic on about 1/3 of them. It is always impossible to know what change is responsible for a traffic change but I thought I would give it at least until October before opting out of the program. I think it is worth trying.

2. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 10 years ago

No Editor's choice till now.

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

None of mine have been chosen yet. Either they are slow or don't like my hubs.

4. rfmoran profile image68
    rfmoranposted 10 years ago

I guess I should be flattered that I have recently received seven out of 146 hubs as Editor's Choice, but I haven't noticed any increase in traffic.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 10 years ago

Hi, Mary! Some of my ECs are up, a few are down, but most are unchanged. I'm going to give it a little more time.

6. Nitin Pillai profile image60
    Nitin Pillaiposted 10 years ago

Even though my hubs haven't been selected, I have seen many threads popping out on how traffic is improving slowly on Editor's Choice Hubs.

7. skear profile image92
    skearposted 10 years ago

I have 3 EC hubs so far on this account.  They've seen a slight increase in traffic since being selected but overall those hubs were already doing quite well before they were selected as EC hubs.

8. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I got a few more EC hubs recently and I was pleased to see some commercial pages get the nod, which I had more or less given up expecting.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image96
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

No Editor's Choice nods for me yet. Sigh. (*kicks rock*)

10. missolive profile image60
    missoliveposted 10 years ago

Hi Mary,
    Yes, the majority of my Editor's Choice hubs have increased in traffic, I have also noticed they are crawled more frequently. Plus, I'm up $20 in HP ads this month compared to last month ($ still 50% below last year). Needless to say, I am going to continue tweaking and improving the remaining hubs and hopefully they will eventually get included.

I'll go ahead and add, I may not publish as often, but I'm supportive of HubPages' intentions. I'm pretty confident they are doing their research when it comes to these moves...nothing is foolproof, not everyone will be happy (or agree) and the online world is forever evolving. Online writers need to accept writing platforms will experience and promote changes; Google is going to acclimate to trends and is constantly developing ways to sort out content. Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine all the things HubPages is having to sort through right now (aside from gripes)...much less the madness over at Google. It is mind boggling!! yikes

Not to over simplify but can you imagine? ...Soooo dude, what do you do for a living? Oh, I organize quality for the World Wide Web...DOH!

---uh....ahem....steps off soap box...---- big_smile

Back to EC traffic - it has been a moderate increase of about 100 - 200 (more) views a day. Also, school has started and my education hubs have started to gather their usual school year fuel - yay! I think it is important to note, most of my education hubs are not identified as Editor's Choice, they are on my subdomain. It does not appear to me that my subdomain hubs have lost visibility or credibility by being separate from the primary HubPages domain (a common forum topic).

You asked for ideas, I'm no pro but this is my contribution...
    - Keep tweaking  and editing (I can't tell you how many mistakes I still find) yikes
    - Your  titles and subtitles are searchable. Search-ability does evolve on the search engines. Also, summaries are a valuable search tool, consider adding searchable phrases that are not in your title or sub-titles to your summaries. Remember, search trends on your topics will change over time, research and tweak as needed.
    - Find and join social network groups related to your topics, the quality of your sharing can improve dramatically. Hubber related groups are great for support and networking, but topic related groups (non writers) will help you reach a wider audience that is specifically interested in your content. Plus, it can greatly improve organic traffic when topic specific communities begin to share and you consequently build your back-links through natural public sharing.
    - Use a hash tag to identify your primary topic / main idea when sharing a hub on social networks. #recipe #health
    - Evaluate your hubs from the reader's perspective. Ask yourself... Is my content supporting my title and subtitle? Am I providing the information my reader initially searched for? And the tough one... Why are readers clicking away? Gulp!
    - Pinterest Pinterest Pinterest..... Beautiful and informative images will make your hub "pinable". I get more traffic from Pinterest over any other social network. We live in a visual world. I'm still working my way through mine and boy can it be time consuming.

Mary, I hope I helped answer your questions and original post. I got a bit long winded there big_smile it felt great to write! The online world is FAR from concrete...change happens and only time will tell if the Editor's Choice was truly a good move. I'm happy with it.

Good luck to all! MO smile

"Turn wounds into wisdom"

+11111 excellent advice smile

1. missolive profile image60
        missoliveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christin! smile

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi missolive,

Thanks for all of the great and useful advice here.  Yes, I do share all on Pinterest too and try to be as visual and creative as possible.  Constantly tweaking one's hubs must be the key, and, although, it is so time-consuming indeed, obviously necessary.  Have a great weekend, Faith Reaper

1. missolive profile image60
        missoliveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Faith Reaper, tweaking is never ending. As for my weekend....I'm naming colored Popsicle sticks after my students, great for randomization techniques in my classroom. Whoa my eyes! Haha
        I hope you are having an awesome weekend.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83

You are so creative, MO, and whoa your eyes on that project indeed!  Yes, wonderful weekend.  Thank you.

3. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks missolive for your input and advice.  I have tweaked and edited until I get a headache.  I have a lot of respect for your opinion.  Thanks.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

In my extended break/absence from writing, I guess I missed something.  Was this a strictly opt in/opt out program, or automatic unless you opted out?

I've not had any hubs chosen, and I'm not sure I will.   I'm wondering how this is different than HOTD picks?  I would think they'd both have the same/similar criteria....

It's automatic unless you opt out. They are hand selecting a certain number of hubs to feature on the primary domain. The belief being that if they put the best hubs on the primary domain it will increase traffic / favor with Google I imagine. The process of selecting them is still ongoing - they have many more weeks yet from what I understood from the latest email.

I am not sure what the difference is with HOTD pick criteria and EC's. That's an interesting question...

12. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Hi Mary, I don't have any EC hubs, opted out in the beginning to see what happens. I figured it didn't matter if I did it later, which gives me more time to edit those that needed it and to write more.

Because we can opt in or out, I don't think either decision is bad or good. We cannot predict how the traffic wind will blow anyway so it's all good, now or later. Regarding traffic and earnings, I have lately seen things improving and remain hopeful, even without EC hubs.

janshares.  I felt the same way you did.  I felt I needed more time to improve my Hubs before they got checked, so I opted out.  My traffic remains fairly well (although earnings are down).

13. Weldon Jewellers profile image60
    Weldon Jewellersposted 10 years ago

great advice up higher from missolive, i haven't had any ECs yet, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen one day smile

14. profile image0
    Bob Bambergposted 10 years ago

Hi Mary,

I've got 138 featured hubs and no ECs.  I don't pay much attention to all that stuff.  I just like to write and converse via the comment streams and forum posts.

I love your attitude, Bob!

1. profile image0
        Bob Bambergposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Mary.  For me, it's all about the HP community.  Early on, I was conscious of hub scores, hubber score, accolades, etc., but the scores have never made much sense to anybody, from what I read.

It's fun, and a creative outlet, to put a hub out there and to read other hubs.  You lean stuff, teach stuff, and have interesting conversations along the way.  It's a rush to have cyberfriends all over the world.

1. Nitin Pillai profile image60
          Nitin Pillaiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bob Bamberg, you have a wonderful attitude. I think EC hubs are a great for a temporary increase in traffic though, but maybe the increased traffic will diminish to original levels after some time.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Nitin Pillai.  It would be a compliment to have a hub selected as an Editor's Choice, but I believe the key to increased traffic is the hub, itself.  I recently wrote a hub on a hot button issue...Breed Specific Legislation...which got nearly 1300 page views in one day; the most ever for me.  All you have to do is touch a nerve, but the hard part is finding that nerve.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
              Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I opted out of Editor's Choice.  I just read your great Hub and, if I were you, I wouldn't want the URL changed.  That Hub is succeeding perfectly just as it is.  Good job!

1. profile image0

Thank you, Writer Fox.  I don't have much of an aptitude for the techie stuff (and I have a son who is a senior software engineer...go figure) so I don't know what an URL change would do.  Frankly, I don't much care, either.  A lot of people have read that hub, and it got over 1k "likes" on Facebook, which I guess must be a good thing.  Those matter to me more than scores and accolades.  Thank you for the kind words.

2. janshares profile image91
              jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bob, you're a hubber with great wisdom and attitude. Will have to visit you soon. smile

1. profile image0

Thank you, janshares, I greatly appreciate your compliment.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ECs aren't like all those imaginary numbers because they change the url your hub is on.  That will either be good or bad, but not neutral.

1. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Strangely, for me it does seem pretty neutral so far. But then over two thirds of my pages were in the main domain until recently, courtesy of Google's mysterious reassignment. So, not much of a shock for them.

15. tillsontitan profile image81
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I have some EC hubs but didn't pay attention to whether or not they get more traffic or are increased in traffic.  I was just happy to see the EC box next to some.  I guess I need to pay better attention to things like that!
    Writing hubs and being friends with people like you have been more important to me.  (Guess I'll never have the Trump fortune.)
    Also since the EC is relatively new I thought I'd wait a bit to see where its going.

16. profile image57
    klaw1posted 10 years ago

Hi there I am new I need help with creating a website and video game sprites. Can anyone help me with this?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)