jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Self promotion

1. The Bard profile image76
    The Bardposted 8 years ago

Is it frowned upon to promote links to ones stuff elsewhere? For example, I am a citizen of Si'mybio, *URL SNIPPED* and I would like to shout about it!

I'm sorry if I've broken a rule, but I'm new here!

1. relache profile image86
      relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, and that should be obvious from reading the Forum Rules

The Bardposted 8 years ago in reply to this

A quick reply that Relache! Squidoo has many tentacles! You've clearly stretched them here!

Furthermore, I object to you imposing yourself on my posts. You may have some status on Squidoo, but I do not expect you to be monitoring me here on Hubpages.

Bad form madam!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

Relache frequently give prompt and helpful advice to many hubbers here . I appreciate the information she gives.  I don't think she was targeting you by answering a question.

3. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Bard,

As a three-year user of HubPages, I am on this site a lot and answer a lot of questions.  I merely answered yours and am not monitoring you in anyway.

You might take note that the forum rules here also frown upon making personal attacks.

Your answer: "and that should be obvious from reading the forum rules".

Do you always reply to a new member with such a sharp tone?

And where, pray tell, was the personal attack?

Your behaviour is similar to that on SquidU.

You seem to regard yourself in a misconcieved position of authority. I find it astonishing that on two similar platforms you manage to regard yourself with such sway!

I certainly didn't come here to be hounded or browbeaten by you!

The fact that you are here, and have been for some time does not give you any right to treat me with contempt, nor imply that I have made a personal attack, when I clearly did not.

1. relache profile image86
        relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

My reply had no tone, it was just a simple and straightforward statement.  I don't know why you decided to perceive that it was sharp in tone.

As you said in your initial reply, Furthermore, I object to you imposing yourself on my posts. You may have some status on Squidoo, but I do not expect you to be monitoring me here on Hubpages.

Bad form madam!

In addition to not imposing myself on your posts or monitoring you, I would like to say I do not regard myself in a position of authority, and am not hounding, browbeating, or treating anyone with contempt.  As far as I could tell, I just answered a question, as any other forum member here might have done for you.

I'm sorry you decided that having your actions being pointed out to you as being in violation of the HubPages forum rules has so infuriated you, but in your opening post of this thread, you did ask if it was frowned upon to promote yourself and I did answer that question with a link to the HubPages authored material that backed up that answer.

Your perception of my infuriation is grossly exaggerated. Your methodological reply however is typical stock from your stable, and does not surprise me in the least.

Consider this conversation closed.

1. Misha profile image73
            Mishaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You are overreacting smile

Relache's reply was absolutely constructive IMO.

4. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Bard

Actually, Relache does have quite considerable "authority" on this site, given that she's one of the most successful Hubbers around, so we all value her advice.

I think Relache has the same problem I do: we're inclined to state "just the facts, ma'am", instead of dressing it up with fancy words - and some people read that as abrupt.  I think that's what has happened in this case.  Your reading of her statement - which is completely factual - is obviously coloured by having previously crossed swords elsewhere.  I'm sorry that has happened and hope that we can all get along well here at HubPages.

Thank you for your fair analysis. However your belief in the aforementioned's  "considerable authority" is yours, and yours alone!  Although It's possible there are others in your camp.

Please let me depart from this thread. It has spent it's course!

5. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

Well, I guess that takes care of the matter. I actually appreciate the 'no nonsense' replies Relache  gives.  The practical  advice is easy to apply for most of us as long as it is not interpreted as having a certain 'tone'.  To me it seems quite objective.

Closed to reply

working