Blogs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)
  1. cieranicole profile image61
    cieranicoleposted 9 years ago

Why do you blog? is it for fun? writing approval or both?

1. profile image0
      Dave36posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I blog for one reason only, & that's to realize things about myself & life in general..So you could say for selfish reasons, but i do like to help people as often as i can..The thing Iv'e noticed that I'm almost convinced of, hence the many answers Iv'e given on here & elsewhere is the following: To learn anything about others & more importantly about ourselves, we have to learn/practice/blog our findings/hear what people say/then practice some more, & so on..When we think we're onto something we post it, & see how the response is..Only by actually typing my beliefs on a particular subject & hearing the reaction, have i been able to refine my views & start realizing some truths in life..I learn't emotions/feelings control, & how to mindful meditate, & it changed my life for the better..My point is we can't learn about our feelings/emotions & our mind etc, without actually expressing somewhere what we've learn't..So it seems to me that we don't learn anything by reading about it, we only learn from doing then telling others..That's how things seem to sink in for me & when i have a realization moment, it's only when writing my findings do i fully realize something.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I blogged for about a year. I liked it. But, it is time consuming. It lead many readers to my hubs and readers of my hubs to the blog. Designing was fun. Having more latitude of subject matter is nice. And some have the option of a adult content warning to be placed for entrance if one wished to use it. Even at Blogger on Google that option is there. Some stuff shouldn't be available to a middle school kid wandering around. The warning will queue parental software to block the blog.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Money. But, alas. The clicks are few and far between.

3. cieranicole profile image61

ah.I first started blogging for money too and got discouraged that I was still broke..but then I decided to just make it a hobby lol

4. sparkleyfinger profile image85
    sparkleyfingerposted 9 years ago

I have a blog, but I haven't updated it for quite some time. For me, it was to get exposure as a designer, but then real life took over, and I had very little time to arty crafty stuff, so it has fell by the wayside sad

5. cloverleaffarm profile image68
    cloverleaffarmposted 9 years ago

I blog about our life here on the farm, but I mostly do it to inform people about herbal healing. It touches on subjects like self sufficiency, gardening, cooking and crafts. I love the money it makes, but I blog more to teach and have fun.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 9 years ago

I don't "blog" - and yet I have "a zillion" blogs in various stages of (pretty-much) non-development.  The reason for that is that I write.  It's what I do.  I do all kinds of writing for all kinds of reasons, but the stuff I write online (and that's associated with "my online identity") is writing I do for myself and my own purposes.  I do make some money with my online writing, so I do take it (or at least a lot of it) reasonably seriously.

Anyway, as I've collected a bunch of different types of writing and different subjects over the years I've set up those "zillion" blogs with the idea of maybe doing more with one or another of them if I ever wanted or decided to.  "x percent" of them are likely to be deleted at any given time.  Another "X percent" are kept on private settings (or not) depending on any number of things.

Either way, they're a ready-to-go foundation for if/when I ever decide to clean them and/or further develop them, individually or blended with one or more of my other blogs.  On an ever-changing Internet I just think it makes sense to set up some "foundation" for the option of if/when I ever decide to do more with this.

7. cieranicole profile image61

good replies smile

8. jeffshires profile image76
    jeffshiresposted 9 years ago

I work in academia, so I am expected to write,  Unfortunately, not all of my ideas lend themselves to full research (or the commentary I tend to throw in).  I am blogging as a way to express those ideas in a shorter form.  Maybe someday I will come back to them, but it is for clearing my head more than anything else.

9. agilitymach profile image93
    agilitymachposted 9 years ago

For me, the definition of "blog" is vague.  I've seen diary type blogs, but my personal definition of blog would include almost any op-ed type piece.  In other words, any article that includes the author's opinion would be, in my definition, a blog.  A "news article" would be strictly written on facts with out the addition of the author's opinion.

As such, I have lots of "op-ed type blogs" here on HubPages.  They are almost all on the sport of dog agility, and I get most of my views off of them.  I write these blogs for several reasons.  One is to share my expertise on the subject with new agility enthusiasts who may not have access to a good agility instructor.  My blogs get these newbies thinking in terms other than what they are hearing from their low-experience instructor.
    Another reason is to give my own agility students the chance to have solid access to a portion of my knowledge base via the written word.

I also blog to cause the agility community at large (and at all levels) to think and begin dialogue about how the sport is developing.  I am not afraid of being controversial, and have written several blogs that have caused the agility community to "buzz."  Issues of safety for the dogs and access to the sport for the handicapped are high on my agenda.  I also, frankly, write for the money.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's fairly clear.   A blog is a collection of articles on a single website. It's not an individual article - that's a post.

1. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  I went to Google and typed in "definition blog."  I saw one definition that fit your explanation.  Merriam-Webster favored mine: "a Web site on which someone writes about personal opinions, activities, and experiences."  Note the "personal opinions" point and the lack of any definition of "collection" of articles.

The only reason I point this out is because the general public is getting very confused about what is "person opinion" op-ed pieces and news reporting articles.  I view most of my work as "blogs," filled with my own viewpoint on one topic (agility/dog training).  I've had some people get really upset that a few of my blogs have an obvious slant (ie. positive based training).  They view this as unfair without realizing that my work is op-ed in nature.  I market it on my FB fan page as a "blog" to help the general public distinguish that it is op-ed work.

Years ago before the web, people got most of their news via the newspaper.  I wrote for a paper back in those days.  Journalists who were good were trained that there was a stark difference between the op-ed (opinion editorial) and the rest of the paper where fact based and hopefully unbiased reporting was to be implemented.  I was pretty good at keeping my bias out of news articles and sticking to fact based reporting.

My work here on HubPages is NOT fact based alone.  While facts ARE included in my work, I also add my opinion and interpret these facts based on my world view.  This is op-ed - not news.  According to Merriam-Webster, it is a blog.  According to another definition I read, it is not because the articles are not all on one webpage (although you could say they are off of my profile page).

JMO.  I think this definition is very fluid, unfortunately. It would really help people if the concept of blog as op-ed and article as pure journalism were more strongly used on the web.  We've all met people who swear something insane they read on-line is true just because they read it on-line!!

For me, the important word in that definition is a web site, i.e. it is not just one individual article.  It is a whole website.  Maybe my use of the word "collection" was wrong - I simply meant  a  number of different articles. 

I Googled and the majority of definitions take the same approach - that a blog is a website.  If you "blog" (verb), then you post articles on a blog. 

By some definitions, HubPages could be called a blog, and if you accept that definition, then when you write on HubPages you are "blogging".  But that doesn't make your Hubs blogs - they are individual blog posts.

Blogs were originally personal.  Nowadays they run the whole gamut from strictly factual to purely personal.

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

A blog is clearly more than one post because it is defined by having multiple entries over time, a.k.a. being a "log" -- "a record of performance, events, or day-to-day activities"

Agreed

11. cieranicole profile image61

^_^ I hadn't really thought of what classifies a blog from post...but now that I am thinking about it...most clearly I see ,,

12. Lowdown0 profile image83
    Lowdown0posted 9 years ago

Blogging is a place where you get to decorate the page more to your liking. You also can write more freely about controversial topics.

I blog because it's something I've created and a place where I can share the experience and knowledge I have gained. I want to give people a chance to be told what is going on in this life, and leave it to them to believe it or not.

One thing I wish, was that one person would have told me more what was really going on in this world, before I was 32 and heard it finally from a man called Steve Quayle on Coast to Coast AM. Of course we have to be ready to listen, but people need to have a chance to hear the truth.

Blogging is also a challenge because there is no one way to do it.

13. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 9 years ago

Money, except for one blog, where I whine about my problems. That one's for fun.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)