Does anyone have experience of from a level 4 commenter back level 1?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image59
    Hui (蕙)posted 9 years ago

I used to be a level 4 commenter. Suddenly, became a level 1. Interesting!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine just went down 1 point. If it goes down, you aren't reading and commenting on enough other users hubs.

1. Hui (蕙) profile image59
        Hui (蕙)posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You down 1, reasonable; I down 3!

2. Hui (蕙) profile image59
        Hui (蕙)posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I trusted hubpages much more than I trusted other ones, because this is a writing club. Somehow, a life stage. Now, life is changing, even I do not want to.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is a completely automated process that measures how many comments you make over a certain period of time.

1. Huntgoddess profile image67
        Huntgoddessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, psycheskinner. That's good to know.

3. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I use to try to make at least 10 comments a day on hubs but not this last winter with sickness in the family I couldn't do it. I went down from an 8 to a 7 and may see it go down even more. I can't worry about it have to much more to worry about.

4. snakeslane profile image79
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Hui, I dropped from a 6 to a 3, maybe still dropping as we speak.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Don't sweat the small stuff.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 9 years ago

Sure.    I spent a lot of time as a Level 6 commenter, but that was back when there were so many more of the kinds of Hubs that tend to invite discussion/commenting.   Over time, as those types of Hubs dwindled I gradually went from a "Level 6" all the way down to a 1.    I've been a 1 for ages now (at least a year, probably - although I'm not sure).   Seems reasonable enough to me, considering that I have nothing to add to subjects about which I know little, won't just go comment for the sake of commenting, won't comment just with the hopes of getting someone come to my Hubs and make some meaningless comment in return, etc. etc.

With the emphasis on the types of Hubs there is (or at least appears to be to a lot of people these days),  how much "comment-to-contribute-to-discussion" is really called for?  If you think about it, people write magazine articles and newspapers articles all the time, and the only way readers can comment is to write a letter to the editor.  With the emphasis on "magazine-style article" these days I'd suspect that "genuine commenting" (to aim to contribute to the discussion) is probably way down on HP now.  Regardless of the type of Hubs HP has been encouraging/emphasizing/allowing at any given time, people have always been told that they should only do "genuine commenting".

As far as I can see, the entire "flavor" of "participation" on HP (at least with regard to the non-Hub-writing part of it) has drastically changed to the point where "genuine interaction" just doesn't happen to the degree that it once did.   (I'm just kind of waiting to see if the "commenter accolade" disappears completely or if something goes on to encourage Hubs that tend to invite more discussion than a lot of what's on here these days tend to do.).    I think a lot of people are probably like I am - no time or interest in reading stuff or doing stuff they don't really want to do, and not so worried about scores/accolades that they'll "adjust and go with the program".

4. Helena Ricketts profile image92
    Helena Rickettsposted 9 years ago

That accolade has nothing to do with how successful you are on HubPages.  Some people will comment back on one of your hubs and others don't.  While I do agree that participation on here is good, it isn't necessary like it is on that "other" site where interaction determines success.  They are as different as night and day.

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 9 years ago

From memory that accolade only includes comments made in the previous 9 months.

Either way, interaction doesn't make you money or get you traffic; offsite interaction does smile

6. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 9 years ago

Yes, I was level four for a while. I am now level one. I really never knew why.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)