jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Can we now put our profile page URL on our photos?

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

I have asked this question before and have been told that we are not supposed to put a URL on our photos.  It is also indicated in the FAQ here http://hubpages.com/faq/#pixelated-watermarks 

However, I am asking it again because today's Hub of the Day has the writer's profile page URL in many of the photos.  It's done quite tastefully and I don't think it detracts from the "aesthetic appeal of the Hub".

Has HP's policy on this changed?  If so that would be great as I would love to put that same type of info on some of my photos.  Thanks.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The Learning Center and FAQ mention that prominent watermarks are prohibited. Our policy is to not moderate Hubs with inconspicuous watermarks added by the author like those in the Hub of the Day.

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image73
        Nouveau Skepticposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hmm. Isn't this different from what we were told last time.  Which was watermarks were assumed to mean the picture might be nicked from another site, so they were not permitted en mass. I have certain seen hubs dinged for it where the watermark was so subtle on something like a video that it was missed by most people trying to help the hubber work out the problem.

If that really is not the case, I have a lot of watermarks to add.... Some guidelines on what is or is not allowed would be good. Because I took "not permitted" to mean "not permitted".

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you Nouveau Skeptic, I'l be adding a lot of watermarks to my photos.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

THIS IS A CHANGE OF POLICY.

Check this post:
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/82728#post1786946

If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see we were discussing whether it was "legal" to put a small copyright notice on our photos, not a big watermark. 

I can recall several occasions where photographers had Hubs unpublished because they had a small, neat copyright statement at the bottom of their photos.  In fact I can recall two very distressed photographers and a couple of long forum discussions on the topic.

At the time, we all thought it made sense - because a copyright statement could be from some other photographer and therefore the photo could be stolen, and HubPages staff don't have time to check the credentials.   

So, is any text allowed or is it just the URL of the Hub or the author's profile?

2. lobobrandon profile image84
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Those don't look bad at all. They're tastefully done. It's not a watermark as such. Watermarks are hmm watermarks big_smile Spreading across the pic

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97

I agree lobobrandon - They do look nice on the hub and I too use text on many of my photos. 

What I would like to know is if the policy regarding putting our URL on the photo has changed.  I have been told a couple of times that it was against HP policies. 

For the types of hubs I write it would be a nice option.

4. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97

Thanks for the clarification.

5. Nouveau Skeptic profile image73
    Nouveau Skepticposted 3 years ago

My approach will be to do it like the featured hub,and if I get dinged for it... well.

Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think that is what I'll do to Nouveau Skeptic.  Might as well give it a shot.

working