Will regular posting in forums and answers gradually increases score?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. msdielise profile image60
    msdieliseposted 9 years ago

I would like to know. I haven't decided which of my available articles here in my files to publish yet I want to gradually increase my Hubber score. Is it possible?

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No...and neither will updating older hubs or publishing new hubs. And neither will having a larger or increasing audience for your hubs.

I got an email today telling me that I'd reached some major viewer milestone and my "hubber" score dropped...wink

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1 mbuggieh I'm not sure there is a REAL formula to how to increase score.

1. profile image0

I agree. I have giving up trying to (a) increase my score and (b) figure out the calculus of scoring.

It makes NO sense. I see "hubbers" with no featured content who have scores near to or exceeding mine.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
            Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For new accounts, we give people a little bump so they are not starting from zero.
            If they then begin to publish Hubs with low HubScores, then their HubberScore will drop to reflect that level of quality.

The most important thing affecting your HubberScore is the QAP assessment and HubScore for each Hub.

The best strategy for increasing your HubberScore is to concentrate on writing exceptional Hubs.

Here are some general tips for creating great Hubs.
            http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub
            http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

Try to aim for an 8 or higher on this table.
            http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

1. profile image0

So...

If the issue is quality, then how does the publication of hubs that are featured or identified as "editor's choice" hubs result in a lowering of one's score?

And if the issue is quality, then how to the scores of hubs go up and down---even when the hubs are not changed or edited in any way, like the temperatures on a thermometer?

2. peeples profile image93

Am I right, in the thought that our hubs are "graded" by other hubbers in hub hopping? If this is the case how do you stop abuse? I have an article that has 1100 words, pictures, video, and 320 something comments, BUT it has a score of 64 and is a hub that may be considered controversial. How does HP stop people who disagree with me from sliding that scale down to 1 in all 3 things that are "graded"?

1. profile image0

I didn't know we are graded by other hubbers. I presumed there was a neutral algorithm/computer modeling.

Now I know why some of us have such low and declining scores no matter how closely we follow the rules and conform to the requirements.

And yes, peer review which enables people to score others, invites abuse---particularly in an environment such as this.

I may be wrong, but when I "hub hop" there is something that comes up on the side of the screen that gives me the ability to grade the hub based on three different things. I see it as a good thing overall, because hubs that are 20 words long are easily caught. However yes, it could be easily abused if there is not some sort of control to it behind the scenes (which I am hoping he will clarify). No matter what I do to that one hub  always has a low score, and I KNOW there aren't enough grammar issues to cause that low of a score.

1. profile image0

And if you browse some highly rated hubs, you will see significant issues with spelling, grammar, punctuation, as well as failure to meet the requirements for hugs considered to be "excellent" (images, word count, polls, maps, quizzes, etc.).

3. profile image0
              LisaKeatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Matthew, On the page about Hubber Scores it states these as two of the affecting factors:
              The number and quality of Questions you ask;
              The number and quality of Answers you have given.

Is this referring to asking and answering questions in the Forum or where?

Also, I really can't figure out what the "Answer" link is for under "explore." It goes to "Hot Questions" that are several years old. Are we supposed to be participating there also?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Lisa

When you get to hot questions, there is a tab for new questions.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever seen a hamster in a maze searching for that elusive snack?
      Being active on forums, questions, hub hoping and publishing often = " you're the hamster". The profile score is the snack......Hub scores are based on the amount of traffic. Edit often,publish often (you enter the maze) get a higher score as a result (you got to smell the snack.)

Everything boils down to getting search engines to look at the site often thus increasing the possibility of new traffic. Every edit, new hub does that.

Being active encourages you to get ideas and maybe publish something new.........Can't blame HP, after all this is a business!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9056559_f248.jpg

1. melbel profile image95
        melbelposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. I seldom publish. Sometimes I clean up older hubs. Every so often I'll come to the forums.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
          LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But everything seems to revolve around traffic which in a way makes sense.

2. Esenbee profile image69
    Esenbeeposted 9 years ago

Yes, it will. From my experience on hubpages, you have to build your traffic. What I mean by that, you have to get people to notice you. You can do this by being and avid commenter, posting questions on a regular basis, and even posting forums. But make sure that you are passionate about your topic and that the topic is something interesting or even controversial. This will catch the eye of the reader.

1. msdielise profile image60
      msdieliseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply! I finally had the courage to post my first hub! smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

Posting, commenting and answering questions can all help, but keep in mind that hubscore is variable and doesn't necessarily mean that your are earning or being viewed.
    The best thing to do is to start posting hubs... and to read hubs of other writers.
    You will learn as you go. I assume you have read he help section.. it is very ... helpful..

4. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 9 years ago

Your best bet is to really format your hubs nicely: original images, more than one image, check grammar and spelling, etc... Make them over 700 words long with nice subheadings and polls and things.

That's where a big part of your score will come in.

5. Colleen Swan profile image92
    Colleen Swanposted 9 years ago

I always reply to good comments and comment on particular hubs that I like, but this does not necessarily increase ones Hubscore. I have had my Hubscore reduced following my putting up good comments. This is very disheartening. I dont understand why one should be penalized for communicating with fellow Hubbers.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like there may be some confusion related to HubberScore and HubScore.
      Comments you write on other people's Hubs have no impact on the score for your Hubs.
      HubScore is related to the quality assessment of the Hub.

You can find information explaining what is involved in each and how they differ here.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

1. Colleen Swan profile image92
        Colleen Swanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Matthew for your reply and link, I have read the learning, I think I understand it, but I agree, this is an area of confusion.

6. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

Thanks Peeples. I never saw that. So is that also where HP is talking about asking and answering questions?

Yes. That is the Q & A section where you can ask and answer questions.

1. profile image0
        LisaKeatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I can already tell I'm going to like this feature. I just always saw the old questions and thought no one used that tab anymore. Sometimes I think I'm too dumb to be on HP!

7. Top Indian cinema profile image59
    Top Indian cinemaposted 9 years ago

I believe it has more to do with QAP. But then I am confused about ups and downs in the current hub. I started from 72 in my first hub, it is getting views and all, and the score has come to 68 in 7 days without any change.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)