Help please

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. brandonkey profile image59
    brandonkeyposted 9 years ago

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site, I just posted my first hub a few hours ago and noticed it got featured which is pretty awesome to me. My dream is to be a sports beat writer one day. I've read on here that you have to have at least 10 hubs to be approved by Google Adscent, my passion is sports writing. Is there anyway to make a little extra cash via sports writing on this site? It's hard to write about sports and post ebay and amazon ads on my page when they don't really go together is what I'm trying to say. My last question is, once I get approved my google, how does that actually work? How do I write hubs and get paid by them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and glad to be apart of the community.

1. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When I first read your name, I read it as Bran donkey... don't worry though, I've figured it out.

2. Dale Hyde profile image79
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You will find most of your answers here, at the Learning Center. smile 

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

3. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bran, Welcome. Earning money here is a long-term thing. We get paid pennies for massive traffic views and some money for valid ad clicks by outside folks (not me on the ad clicks, really) so I hope you're in it for the long haul.
      Best of luck.
      Peg

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Brandon - welcome to the site!  Congrats on having a featured hub so early in the game.

Regarding sports writing - for what it's worth - if you try to write things that are time-sensitive, such as a columnist might do if covering team sports, there won't be a lot of traffic. You'll certainly have example of your work you can show elsewhere if you want to get a paid gig, but the traffic here won't be very high, simply because HubPages is more geared to 'evergreen' content.

If you write general or timeless information (but with a new flair, so people will want to read it), you'll be more likely to get hits from Google searches. Even so, you'll be competing with all the major sports sites and news outlets, so it will still take time for traffic to build.

Best of luck in your goal to break into sports writing; it's a great field. The sports writers at my local paper are just about the best writers on the staff, and I truly admire their work. They have to be experts ink a ton of different sports, and current in their knowledge about current coaches, team members for each seasons, the politics of the game (or season, or league, etc.) and extremely fast writers.  I've known some of them for many years, and I cannot speak highly enough of them.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brandon and welcome to HubPages. You already have a good topic, sports, and should do well with that as your niche.  Being a sports writer can open up a wide field for you. Some of my thoughts are: history of a sport (history of baseball, etc.), writing about famous athletes and their life, writing on sports equipment ... you have a lot of options that will be evergreen and popular. Plus, when you write a hub about any sport, an Amazon capsule for equipment of that sport, or a book on the athlete you wrote about ... you have a of options here.  Best of luck to you.

2. brandonkey profile image59

Haha yeah Im a firefighter and that's my nickname "donkey" because of my name lol

So is it Brandon Key or did your parents name you Bran?

1. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now, that's funny, Sed. There's another person with a name that immediately sends me into a fit of giggles but I had better not say who it is, or else, you know.

I'll be trying to figure that one out.

3. brandonkey profile image59

Brandon Key

Gotcha.

4. brandonkey profile image59

Thank you so much Marcy. You info is very helpful for me.

5. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

Welcome, Brandon. I'm probably the worst one to answer questions about money; however, I would like to say that a sports writing niche should bring traffic, as there are a lot of sports lovers out there. Amazon ads should be a little easier to find than eBay. Anything remotely relating to your topic should be all right. On eBay, you might find collector's items. Always the best way to find ads is to put in key words in the ad template search.

You are already on payroll if you've set up your PayPal information. Hub Pages ads qualify as soon as you've done that under Earnings Settings. Just follow the prompts if you haven't already.

I'll let someone else answer about Google Adsense, as I'm not sure exactly how that works. (I'm still waiting for a first payout. Tips: Stick to your niche as much as possible; try to do a little SEO (there are hubs here written on the subject and in the Learning Center), and let  folks know when you've written a new hub on social sites, such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, etc.)

Again, welcome, and best wishes for your every success!

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Brandon,

HubPages tutorials are here, http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

There are a lot of user tutorials that are both better than the "official" ones and even more that are worse.

The short form is here, http://hubpages.com/faq/

The legal rules you agreed to when you signed up, including the statements that you say you understand the rules and that HubPages can change them without telling you ahead of time, http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

There is a lot of mixed info on this site about AdSense requirements, much of it having been written by different people over the years, many of whom aren't here anymore.

Google does not say straight up how many pages of content is required, they want to see you demonstrating having created an established web presence.

I can hear your eyes glaze over as you read the above.  From having been writing here since the site started, my feelings at this time are that you will want to create several dozen Hubs, and use a bit of social media to promote them, AND let them get to be somewhere between one and two months old before you apply for Google AdSense.

Summer money and traffic are both pretty crappy, so this is actually a great time to get started.  Remember, web writers are like surfers, you have to start paddling really hard before the wave even arrives if you want to catch it and ride it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)