Among the missing... people, places, things.

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

How many historical missing people, places and things can you think of? Like: Amelia Earhart, Atlantis, Ark of the Covenant, 18 minutes of watergate tape.... and where are they?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image88
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only one I can think of is the lost Virginia Roanoke Colony. It sure would be fascinating to know the truth about all of them! I guess we can only hope more clues are uncovered by historians one day.

Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good one, Kristy. The truth  about them may be discovered sooner than the story of the lost IRS e-mails.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Roanoke DNA Studies: Researchers at North Carolina's Research Triangle worked on this problem and found some good answers.

DNA analysis found descendants of the Roanoke colonists after they went to live with the Croatan Band and left their Governor a coded message about their whereabouts.

European artifacts recently have been found on Hatteras Island (formerly Croatan Island), where the Europeans and the Native Americans lived together. Together with DNA, this indicates some proof.

Currently, about 250 descendants of these intermarriages live in the Greenville NC area. Researchers are slowly discovering DNA markers in them that originated in England, Spain and possibly elsewhere in Europe. The Roanoke DNA Studies are ongoing and more news will likely hit the media in the near future.

I wrote about this about 1 1/2 years ago. Fascinating history.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image88
          Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's incredible! It's so interesting how many secrets we're able to uncover with new technology (like DNA testing). I'll have to take a look at your Hub on the subject. smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Patty, I also wrote a hub on the Roanoke Colony -- it has long been called the biggest mystery in the history of America. I will have to hop over and read your hub. This subject is so interesting.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a topic I'm not familiar with at all.  I think I could easily spend a day reading the fascinating, interesting hubs found on HP. 

You've piqued my interest about Anastasia.

1. CMHypno profile image82
              CMHypnoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rebekah they have found the remains of Anastasia and Alexis.  When the Romanov remains were first discovered outside Ekaterinburg there were two corpses missing but they were found later

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … ussia.html

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

Thanks for that link! We had a few impostors in New England in the 20th century.

I see in a subsequent article that the DNA evidence was confirmed.

The Holy Grail. The Malaysian jet over the Indian Ocean.  Anastasia and Alexei Nikolaevich, daughter and son of Tsar Nicholas of Russia -- the family members were executed, but the bodies of Anastasia and Alexei were not found.

1. Jcpuddles profile image61
        Jcpuddlesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm working on a hub about Anastasia as well. Bear with me, these take quite a bit of research. Anastasia is one of those "mysteries" that isn't really a mystery - the answer just isn't well known and spread.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Anastasia is a fascinating subject to research and write about. I look forward to reading it. There was a movie made about her. I believe Ingrid Bergman played Anastasia. It has been years since I have watched it, but I remember it was very well done and I enjoyed it.

I'm short on time and have a few to finish before it. I found the subject fascinating since I saw the old animated movie. Its awesome that they managed to solve that mystery but I wish there was a way to spread it further so it isn't limited knowledge!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

My entire collection of the art classes I took in college -- notebooks, drawings, text books, supplies.  sad

4. brakel2 profile image74
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Anne Margret's ex boyfriend disappeared from a ship.

Two teens disappeared from the State Fair in Oklahoma in the 90s and were never found.

1. moonlake profile image80
        moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't that Olivia Newton-John's boyfriend.
        All the missing children.

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

The lost Dutchman's mine.

6. moonlake profile image80
      moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jesse James missing gold.

2. Genna East profile image81
    Genna Eastposted 9 years ago

This is an interesting question, Rochelle.  Some things immediately come to mind other than what has been posted:  Everything and every poor soul that was supposedly “swallowed up” in the Bermuda Triangle; Jimmy  Hoffa; The Lost Fabergé Eggs.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Do we know with conclusive evidence about the collapse of the Mayan civilization? Did they migrate, die of drought?

1. Genna East profile image81
      Genna Eastposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I believe they survived the Spanish conquistadors and their descendents still live today in the Maya area.

There are some people living in those areas who bear a striking resemblance to some of Mayan pottery images.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are those who survived whatever took place at the decline of their civilization. I've read that there are numerous theories about what caused a sudden decline in the southern cities.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

I agree. I have a few friends and students whose DNA, when analyzed, proved to include that matching the Mayans and one young man had facial features to match as well.

There are some Mayan descendants in the local area where the civilization was. They still make Worry Dolls as their ancestors did.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

The entire American medical industry seems to have misplaced the Hippocratic Oath. Oh, well. Maybe it will turn up someday.

Now you have taken this in a new direction. I suppose we could think of a lot of things that modern civilization has lost.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That was just my rant for the day. big_smile

Meanwhile, there are probably a billion single socks hanging out in an alternate universe somewhere.

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Do you remember the Celestine Prophecies? The book was fiction but I think it was supposedly based on the search for a real missing book or papers about the secret to life or something. Or was that a part of the book's appeal? That's what made to story soooo good. I wish I could find my copy. hmm

Not familar-- though the title rings a bell. Mysteries always intrigue a curious mind.

6. Jcpuddles profile image61
    Jcpuddlesposted 9 years ago

Amelia Earhart isn't missing. She never really was (for long at least). Long story short, she was stranded with her navigator on an island for a while, most the evidence was ignored for a while, and now, the "mystery" is no longer a mystery. I have a hub on it if you're really interested but that's the jist of it.
    Atlantis never existed. Plato mentioned it. Once. Somehow everyone misinterpreted it as fact. I'm working on a hub on Atlantis at the moment.

All good subjects for writers, and part of my motive was to stir those thoughts. I will be looking at yours

7. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 9 years ago

The Amber Room, stolen from the Winter Palace in St Petersburg by the Naziz in WWII

8. limpet profile image60
    limpetposted 9 years ago

During  the great depression an Australian gold prospector named Lasseter stumbled across a huge gold reef in the harsh desert of central Australia. When he returned to stake his claim he went back to the site but could not find it and perished. The legend became known as 'Lasseter's reef' which is well documented in folklore. A few years later a plane 'the Lady Southern Cross' piloted by pioneer aviator Charles Kingsford - Smith went missing over the Indian Ocean on a flight from London to Sydney.

IN the desert southwest of the U.S. is "The Lost Dutchman's Mine"-- people are still looking.
      Then there's DB Cooper who parachuted out of a plane with a load of cash over California-- some of the cash has been found, but not Cooper.. And I guess some people are still looking for that Malaysian airliner (not the one in Ukraine, the earlier one).

I think that Malaysian airliner is going to end up one of the "mysteries" that isn't really a mystery, kind of like Earhart. Like in 25 years (and I mean no disrespect towards anyone) people will still have conspiracy theories when wreckage supporting that the plane crashed was found years prior.

9. limpet profile image60
    limpetposted 9 years ago

The 'Lost Chord' composed by the English playwright Arthur Sullivan was never in actual fact lost as it met public acclaim in late 19th century London towne. His follow up composition was to be the 'Second lost chord' however he died prior to finishing it. Co-incidentaly when Glenn Miller's plane went missing on a flight from London to Paris in the war years it was rumoured he had a brief case full of yet to be released music.

10. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Lord Lucan, suspected of murdering his family but never found. Other commenters have covered most I could think of. Good question though.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

That reminds me of Jack The Ripper, Jodah. As far as I know, they never found out who the Ripper was.

Two historical/forensic studies that show solid method and robust statistical results point to different identities. How confounding!

A third result is posted across the Internet by a descendant of a London police official at the time; the poster is quite angry that the world is not accepting the opinion of his ancestor. So, we have three identities? Did they work together?  Plus, a conspiracy theory of old says that the press made Jack up, stringing together prostitute deaths and questionable evidences.

We likely will never know the ID for certain and the Tourism, Literature, and Film businesses around Jack will continue in a very healthy manner. smile

1. limpet profile image60
          limpetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greetings Darklings

Allow me to give you a conducted tour along the labyrinthine passage ways of Whitechapel after dark

Sweet dreams
          the limpet

Ooooohh, eloquent! I like it. A long poem on the subject is called for.

11. Chinaimport profile image78
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Rapid changes in technologies saw many gadgets disappear during our lifetime only. Teleprinters once used by banks to transfer billions of dollars are gone so are IBM punch card readers.  I have not seen any 8” floppy disk lately or a portable fax machine.  Does anyone remember Newton fax?

12. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

What a fabulous idea for a thread, Rochelle.
    I watched a PBS special on the lost/hanging gardens of Babylonia http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/the-los … sode/1203/ .
    Turns out you just need to be looking in the right place.

(I don't know if this is the same link or a different one. http://video.pbs.org/video/2365226540/ )

Thank you, Sed-me. I hope it provides food for thought for many hubbers. Few of us can resist delving into a good mystery.

13. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

http://newsbcpcol.stb.s-msn.com/amnews/i/63/fe345421b4316ee4614559fc8273ba/_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg
    Well, technically, he's already been found. The owner is still missing though. big_smile

http://news.msn.com/offbeat/150-pound-t … -la-suburb

14. limpet profile image60
    limpetposted 9 years ago

I'd be intrigued to know whatever happened to the revised manuscript of Valerie Solanas' S.CU.M. manifesto which went missing from her San Francisco apartment after her untimely death.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)