Hub Scores have gone up dramatically including a 100!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (40 posts)
  1. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Has anyone noticed a marked change in their hub scores? I only noticed today so not sure if it happened today or in the recent past.. But some of my hubs have seen a marked increase from 70's and 80's into the 90's and even a 100...

Is anyone else seeing a real change?

1. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Sir Braggy Britches.

1. Ilona1 profile image60
        Ilona1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wish the forum here had a "like" feature similar to facebook. I would have "liked" this quip, because it made me smile.

lol. I was just teasing. He's a "fun hubber." smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here's something to chew on:

Yesterday I went into all of my hubs that had dropped below 70 and edited them to conform with mobile standards.

Each one went up about a point.

Today I went back in and made the ads right only, and now all of those hub scores have dropped back into the high 60's again!

Guess what THAT means??

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm not editing any of mine for that purpose. I've already checked how they look in mobile, and they're fine as they are.

More important for me is to edit eight still unrevised hubs I published four years ago. Most of those are now scoring quite well compared to some of my newer, higher quality hubs.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did none of these things and went up 3 points overnight.

Yes, but you're better than us.
          I have stayed at 77 for a few weeks now, and until I can take the system down, I tell myself that everyone over 80 are overachievers.

I might be wrong, but I think Psycheskinner is talking about hub score. At least, that's what this thread is about.

Im taking down all the scores. Im working from within... as soon as my system's perfected... no one will ever again be judged by the quality of his work!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
                Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Judge not, ..."

You can't judge me if I don't use my real name!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you're talking about HubberScore, it may help to know that I have written the grand total of 15 Hubs in the last 12 months, and have barely touched my old ones. 

However I am active on the forums every day.  If I disappear for a while, my HubberScore drops.  However it doesn't seem to matter how my HubScores fluctuate, it has very little effect.

It is my goal to be the 'cause of the implosion of the hubber score. Some how, some way... I will destroy it. I am their worst nightmare... it's possible it will be more like a series of unpleasant thoughts than actual nightmares, but they're going down just the same! (Eventually.)

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
                    paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Publish another "cure-cancer" recipe and let's see what happens. big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.  I was suggesting that mobile formatting was not part of the equation for my weird and sudden hubscore change.

3. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Make everything full-width, including ads (for mobile view) and they'll go up again.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Sorry Sue:

I did a sample like that and they went up a total of 1 point each!
          When put the ads back the way they were, they dropped right back down again.
          I do not plan to upgrade 135 articles just to get my scores on each article up only one point, especially when they were far, far above that prior to this issue.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

TimeTraveller, I'm still not getting why you're even trying.   You should know that scores and earnings potential aren't related, and it would be mad to make changes on successful Hubs just to improve a meaningless score, because you might spoil something that's working.

Marisa:

I worry that down the road those hub scores will affect hubber scores negatively, and then Google will stop indexing my work in a productive way.

For the first time since I've been here I'm getting what I consider to be good views and good money, and I sure don't want to lose that if I can avoid doing so.

If those scores are so meaningless, why do they have them?

"I worry that down the road those hub scores will affect hubber scores negatively, and then Google will stop indexing my work in a productive way."

There is no way Google will stop indexing your work due to a low Hubber score, Google doesn't even know Hubber scores exist.

Are you confusing indexing with  no-follow?   If your HubberScore drops too low, HubPages will mark your Hubs "no follow" - but that does NOT harm the Hub.  All it does is mark hyperlinks within the Hub as "no follow", not the Hub itself.  The only people who need to worry about that are people trying to promote other websites by linking to them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

This:
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123705? … ost2619519

I'm going to try to find the link to Simone and Derek's original threads.

I've found this, which is very interesting: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466

2. RockyMountainMom profile image68
          RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did this with my (now) lowest ranking hub, and it went up three points over night.  But it had lost 10 or twelve points, so that's not really a comparable gain.

I find it interesting, but wouldn't be happy if it returned to it's previous score by being forced into a certain format---or being forced to write for cell phones. 

As others have said, in most cases my hubs looked fine for mobile.

The one I changed to all full width changed the value of the photos for the text they accompanied.  Having photos inset is sometimes just what's needed, whereas the photo coming after an entire block of text, I feel detracts from the photos attention-keeping value AND the flow of the TEXT.

I just changed all of mine back to the way they were originally.

At some point the team will have to fix this problem, so I am with Marisa.

1. RockyMountainMom profile image68

I'm not going to do more either, at least as far as pictures.  I feel I've already got the ones that can be wide, or at lest work that way, set that way.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Yes, mine have also changed. I noticed it last night. It seems, in my case, that traffic is no longer a factor. I've compared quality, but that doesn't seem to be much of a factor, either.

One of my hubs that had a score of 100 has tumbled to 92, and I find myself as puzzled as ever.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, mine are going down. No editing, traffic is good on one the other not so good but they dropped. It happens, probably no particular reason.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I believe the fear-of-editing factor has also been removed. Every hub I've edited  recently the hub score has remained the same or gone up.

Coincidentally  this has naturally caused my hub score average to rise. But my hubber score hasn't budged. I guess I'm a permanent 87 (or lower) for the foreseeable future no matter how high my hub score average goes. I still haven't figured out which moderator is mad at me. big_smile

The hub I've mentioned on the other threads that suddenly went down eight points after editing is still stuck at 82.

The only sense I've found so far, before and after this change, is that the eight remaining hubs I published four years ago and haven't yet revised all have very low scores, which they deserve. I was obviously never afraid to edit those, because their scores could only rise--I just need to get around to doing it!

One of those, by the way, was nominated for a HubNugget back in the day.

I am constantly surprised by the way my hubs are scored. 

This is because every one of them gets featured within two hours, and most have acceptable to very good views.

I have no problems with structure or grammar, and yet the scores on many of my articles remain low, even on those that get very, very good views.

This affects, of course, my overall hubber score, which, while not terrible, has dropped 5 points from where it was a month ago, and I see no reason for it.

Personally, I think they ought to forget all of the scores and just let us write.  Let the readers and Google decide what is good and what they like.

I do think that keeping the warnings about low views or poor content should remain, but other than that, the team is upsetting people for no apparent reason.  At the very least, they ought to offer some explanation for those low scores.

oops...just noticed that my score went up two points all of a sudden...but again, have no earthly clue as to why!

2. RockyMountainMom profile image68

We'd all be spending considerably less time discussing this if a message came out---preferably just before or just after the drop.  But now would still be good  : )

4. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

I disagree - Obviously the scores and trying to figure out how they work keep us on our toes.

The probable reason for HP not officially announcing the algorythm change and what to do about it is that they are trying things out. It is by trial and error that we have survived successfully so far.

My overall conclusion from the many forum threads on this latest HP trauma indicates 5 things (apart from good grammar, uniqueness etc).

1. Have all the boxes ticked in the "Need Some Goals" feature (in edit mode).

2. Format for mobile view with all full-width photos and ads.

3. Edit old hubs to keep them "fresh".

4. Make sure your "latest activity" date is recent by participating.

5.  Encourage reader engagement. People are lazy readers. Two tips to fully "engage" readers to get them to reach the end of a hub so they can rate and comment:

a)  Alternate text with a non-text capsule (image, video, poll, map, related advert etc.) to brake up long text and lead readers onwards.

b)  Keep the reader curious for more. End some text capsules with a promise/question/hint on what's coming next.

5. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

Just an update, I have a download of my stats from last year in September, so 11 months ago... I have not done any major changes, nor have I published since...

But the average scores have jumped by +6pts, some hubs having increased their individual scores by +20 pts while a few have dropped by up to -10 pts.. The ones that have dropped do deserve it in my opinion as they are the shorter ones with less pictures, etc.. The ones that have risen have many capsules of different types and fall within the "stella" hub category.

I was playing with my hubs a year ago to try to figure out why very similar hubs had very different scores which is why I have the download. Similar length hubs with the same number of videos, pictures, and other capsules would have very different scores even if traffic was similar - I gave up worrying about the scores as it is only the traffic from Google that really counts! But the scoring I could not figure out it seemed to be fairly random!! If I added capsules, sometimes the score would rise, sometimes drop - no sense!!

The only thing I did notice was that groups would rise or fall at the same time. So one week all of my Saudi hubs would drop by 2-4pts each another week they would rise.. other groups would not change at all. It was as if groups were "audited" together and either given a boost or a kick...

But the changes that were made at this time last year gave us a more stable hub and hubber score.

This recent change would not be explained by traffic changes as my traffic is probably a fraction lower than it was last year but my performing hubs are still the same etc..

Personally, I think something has changed even if they say it has not..... The difference is too great for it to be random!

6. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Do hub scores matter? I never look at mine. I just look at traffic and earnings. I couldn't tell you if my scores have risen or fallen. Should I be tracking this?

No

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)