Hubscore Algorithm Changes Revisited

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Is anyone still adjusting to the algorithm changes to hubscores? In the forum link below, Paul gave us answers on the change which was implemented a few weeks ago. At the end of his post, he indicated that a second tweak would occur this week. Well, it's here. Now that I know what it is, I can ride the waves and wait until the waters calm. However, I'm surprised at how the hubs I deem as mediocre are now receiving very high hubscores and my better hubs are decreasing drastically. Is anyone else seeing the same?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123705

In this same forum, ChristinS posted a link which pointed out possible Google involvement. One thing I recall is something about how keyword ranks can be changed (by Google?) which could decrease (or I guess increase) how articles with particular keywords get found. My phrasing of this issue may be off but if anyone knows what I'm talking about please tell me. smile This goes back to my trying to understand how some obscure hubs with very little traffic can all of a sudden jump to the top.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't know why but some of my low scoring hubs are now on top while my best hubs have fallen several notches.

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Jan. I had one of my higher scored hubs drop from the high 80s to 58 last week, but it has risen to 64 since then. Six others had dropped to under 60 but have since risen. Some of my previously lower ranked hubs are now among my top scores...weird, but as long as they are still featured I can live with it. My hubber score at least has risen a little.

3. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan, I am having the same. No idea what is happening now again. The average score of my articles is dropping again. Now 77, probably going far more down. Worst articles are on top, the best have sunk to the bottom. Logic has gone to hell.

Since the former discussion thread I made a few experiments by editing articles, mainly deleting links to other sites. It helped just a fraction. This rating system of Hubpages became simply unpredictable.

It's time that Hubpages comes with a clear explanation what they're doing.

4. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes I did notice this.  One of my hubs with the most traffic consistently (almost all from Pinterest) always had a score of 97 - 100 since shortly after it's creation a couple of years ago.  It's now at an 86.  Other hubs I had that don't get much traffic in general compared to the rest and are frankly, not as well written, spiked to really high scores.  One that had never been out of the mid-70's range was sitting at a 99 yesterday.  My overall average is only one point higher.  It's strange days indeed.  smile

jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, ChristinS, word for word.

5. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing. Good to know others are too. Some of my Hubs are much higher, others much lower.

Good to know about the traffic fluctuations that relache pointed out (below). Looking forward to what's going to happen when summer is over.

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I had one jump way up to 98 and then those that were at the top forever have dropped.  It is like they all switched places. Silly me, thought it was all the people looking over our hubs to vote in the upcoming awards.

2. nifwlseirff profile image93
    nifwlseirffposted 9 years ago

I'm seeing the same. My top traffic, and usually top hubscore hubs dropped about 20 points. Others jumped way up. Odd.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Please note we are gonna see some funky traffic dips as we go through the end of August.  It's the dog days of summer.

Once we get on the other side of the Labor Day holiday, traffic patterns distinctly change.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I remember correctly, traffic doubled for me last Christmas. Can't wait....bring it on!

4. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Seems to be similar experiences across the board. Thanks guys.
    What about the odd jumps, relache, when traffic is neither up or down? Maybe just the algorithm coughing as it adjusts, i.e., no real explanation?

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I have two very unlikely hubs at the top of my stats with scores of 99.  One has great potential to take off in a month or so.  They are both unique, one of a kind type hubs.

I noticed the same, rebekahELLE. I was thinking quirky but unique, one of a kind is a better description. Maybe that translates into "original content" which is what HP has been preaching.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The scores on my Hubs have also changed dramatically.   Traffic now seems to have very little, if any, influence. 

If I look at my Hubs, the ones with the best scores are the ones that tick the most boxes in the "Stellar Hub" section in the top right hand corner of the Hub.    I don't see anything else about them that could explain it.

2. janshares profile image94

Exactly, Marisa. Several have now gone back up to the 90s so it looks like it's stabling off. It does appear that those which "followed the rules" have the higher scores. But those that always had high traffic and high scores are the ones that dropped drastically. It still doesn't explain those with little traffic moving up so high.

Why doesn't it explain why those with little traffic moved high?  Take a look at your scores and assume they've taken traffic out of the mix - does it explain it now?

Quality?

Jan, what I was asking is - if you look at your Hubs in edit mode, is there a correlation between the number of ticks in the Stellar Hubs boxes?   There's a very strong correlation indeed  in mine.  That doesn't equate to quality necessarily, though.

6. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

My scores had on the whole risen significantly a couple of weeks ago with the changes that they had made. They have dropped back a little but nothing serious. Most of my hubs tick all the boxes for "stella" hubs also and these tend to now score well except for one oddball....

My one oddball was scoring in the 70's even though it was also one of my highest trafficked hubs - so i reviewed it in line with what Paul had posted last week and realized that it was one of my few hubs that still had some amazon links dropped between the capsules - so I removed them... The post promptly dropped a further 6 points lol.... Oh well....

Making no difference to the traffic however..

7. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

My hub scores have not recovered.  My average remains a 66.  Prior to this, I had no hubs scoring lower than 76.  My lowest score was a 50 yesterday and inched up to a 51 this morning.  Since the scores have no impact on my earnings, I am studiously ignoring them.

Yes, continue to do that OldRoses, hang in there. Some of us geeks just love to analyze what's happening and try to figure it out. It's like a puzzle I want to solve. smile For the most part, most of us report that traffic and earnings are fine. Interestingly enough, my hubs in the 60s are all poetry. Not a surprise, quite expected with this new algorithm. Let us carry on!

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Funny how the poetry hubs are all the lowest ranked Jan isn't it. This explains why about a third of my 150 hubs are ranked in the 60s. At least they are all featured, so even though poetry doesn't rate highly with HP they do give it some allowances. We need to keep encouraging people to read poetry and that is an entertaining and enjoyable thing to read. Anyway, it seems that traffic isn't the most important criteria for hub scores anymore and most of mine have now risen slightly. Good thing is my Hubber score has gone up.

8. JG11Bravo profile image73
    JG11Bravoposted 9 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one.  My scores tanked out of the blue, I was concerned that someone finally noticed how often I phone it in.

9. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 9 years ago

I agree with Marisa. Hubscore doesn't seem to have much (if any) correlation to traffic anymore. In fact, I have a sneaky suspicion that high traffic hubs are purposely downgraded hubscore wise so that they can't be identified and scraped so easily.

10. Availiasvision profile image81
    Availiasvisionposted 9 years ago

I've noticed that my hubs with higher Pinterest and search engine results are rating higher.  My keyword friendly hubs are doing better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)