jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Clicking on Amazon Links while Editing, is this bad?

1. Kim Milai profile image80
    Kim Milaiposted 3 years ago

I just realized that when I'm checking music or movie info on a link to amazon, I'm actually clicking and going to the amazon website. I'm doing this while editing.

Did I make a huge mistake? Will they shut me down? I don't have AdSense yet so I don't think I'm getting money or anything. Can I check links in edit mode without getting dinged?

Should I contact HubPages to let them know I did that?  I find it difficult to edit when I have to be careful not to click the links.....

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. hoverstate profile image74
    hoverstateposted 3 years ago

Clicking on Amazon links are fine. You shouldn't get penalized for clicking those links.

However, clicking your own AdSense links will get you banned from AdSense for life if you get caught.

1. Dressage Husband profile image79
      Dressage Husbandposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Actually the odd accidental Adsense click will not get you banned they are aware that tablets and smart phones are so sensitive that accidentals will occur. What will get you banned is many clicks in a short period of time. So care is necessary, not 100% required though. I know as I have clicked accidentally several times and all they do is reverse any earning associated to that click. They do track this and too many will get you banned.

3. Writer Fox profile image56
    Writer Foxposted 3 years ago

You can click on Amazon links, but if you ever actually buy anything using your affiliate account, you'll be banned from the program.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

I actually bought something on my Amazon account years ago and nothing came of it. I guess I was lucky smile

1. Dressage Husband profile image79
      Dressage Husbandposted 3 years agoin reply to this

All that happens is they reverse the commission for the odd accidental. Do not do this often though as a ban will ensue.

5. jodijoyous profile image60
    jodijoyousposted 3 years ago

The occasional, accidental purchase won't get you banned. It happens, and they understand. Just email them and tell them it was unintentional.

6. Ann Hinds profile image79
    Ann Hindsposted 3 years ago

I hope it's OK. I have been doing it all day to update any descriptions. OOPS!

1. Writer Fox profile image56
      Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

On Amazon: Click, but don't buy.

On AdSense: NEVER click.

7. GypsyOwl profile image78
    GypsyOwlposted 3 years ago

I think you will be ok Kim.

I believe the biggest issue for this kind of thing is paid ads and the adsense ads. If I remember what I read recently on our HP agreement. It is because many of the ads in our hubs (Placed there by HubPages) are pay-per-click, so, if we click on them we could have our accounts closed down.

On the other hand... Amazon doesn't like us to buy from ourselves. But, it isn't a pay-per-click ad so it should be ok to accidentally click on those capsules while we are learning this new layout.  I do like the layout. Easier for readers to find out more about  products they are interested in.

1. Kim Milai profile image80
      Kim Milaiposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you all so much. I feel so much better now.  I'll be careful with the AdSense when I get it.
      I appreciate so much this forum with everyone working together to solve questions and issues. smile

8. Elsie Hagley profile image52
    Elsie Hagleyposted 3 years ago

Thanks for that question Kim.
    I was wondering myself. I click on the Amazon link to make sure the item is still available, but never to buy from my hub.

9. Arachnea profile image77
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

I'm glad someone asked this. I was editing a recent hub and clicked on the links while doing so. Then, I recalled some thing or another I'd read which suggested this is a no no. Glad to have that better defined. Does anyone know where the actual black and white text is on clicking adsense and amazon links?

10. Arachnea profile image77
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

For Adsense, after you log in, the list of rules includes the caveat to not click on one's own links.

working