Uh-oh! While editing a hub, my mouse hit the Amazon link!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I know we are not supposed to ever click on links in our own hubs, or other people's hubs, either. At least that is my understanding.

While I was putting a new photo up on one of my hubs, my finger slipped on the mouse, and off I went to the Amazon product I was linking to.

Do I need to send an email to HP administrators, or something?

1. carny profile image90
      carnyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can click on Amazon links as much as you want. I click them all the time for testing purposes. Just make sure to clear your cookies before you buy anything.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shades,

Clicking once or twice will not be penalized. Amazon (and the other Ad networks as well) understand that sometimes users click by accident, and you should be fine unless a significant number of fraudulent clicks are detected. Long story short: try not to click them in the future, but don't worry about it! smile

Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Christy. I was glad to hear every say that it can happen once in a while. Finger slippage is hard to control, though, and that is what occasioned it.

2. dwelburn profile image91
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

Don't think it matters about Amazon links as no commissions are paid unless something is sold. It's the other ads you should not click.

3. Cari Kay 11 profile image88
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

I had a very unusual ad on my website via Google Ads.  I couldn't help myself and clicked on it.  Definitely don't want to do anything to upset the Apple cart there but nothing ever happened and, I checked, Adsense didn't even register it...phew...

4. taiwokareem profile image60
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

its okay as long as its not done intentionally. I i was Google and I realised that more than 20 ads were clicks by mistake in a matter of an hour then I'll be suspicious.

5. Rusty Quill profile image88
    Rusty Quillposted 9 years ago

No it shouldn't be a problem just clicking on an amazon link - just don't buy anything on amazon (within 24 hours) without clearing your cookies. Adsense ads are different however, those are more important not to click on. One stray click shouldn't be an issue though.

I had a similar miss click on one of my amazon links while I was editing the hub and when I hit the back button all my work for the past hour was gone! Luckily I refreshed the page and it was back but that was a scary moment. smile

Yes, RustyQuill, that happened, to me also. I am not sure if I refreshed the page, or back clicked, or how - but what I had been typing reappeared.

Once those of us who came from Squidoo get the hang of all of the nuances here, perhaps we will not be in "panic mode" so much. It's foreign to my nature, anyway!

6. Shades-of-truth profile image83
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

Thank you, everyone! Right after I posted that, I had to attend to some customers, and was so relieved to see your answers. Phew!

I thought we were not supposed to click on ANY ads...

Many thanks!

7. profile image0
    bobtyndallposted 9 years ago

Why would it make any difference if you clicked on an amazon link. Clicks don't count for anything. I've clicked a few links just to make sure they where working alright. As long as you aren't buying anything, I don't see it being any kind of problem.

To bobtyndall: Since I have recently come to HubPages from Squidoo, I did not know that. Also, I am always leery of doing anything to violates policies, so I thought we weren't supposed to click on any ads.

My concern was one of ignorance - I simply didn't understand, and am not that familiar with what is tracked when a linked is clicked.

Really appreciate all of the input from you all!

8. Rusty Quill profile image88
    Rusty Quillposted 9 years ago

So true - good luck in the transition. smile

Thank you, Rusty Quill!

9. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I tend to be cautious, so I avoid clicking on Amazon links and Adsense links on all hubs, but I've done it by accident a couple of times, too. Probably everyone has.
    If you see an ad that interests you, it is better to close HP and go Google it or search Amazon.

Got it! smile

10. Redneck Lady Luck profile image61
    Redneck Lady Luckposted 9 years ago

You can click on Amazon ads as often as you like but NEVER Google adsense ads or you will risk losing your account. I had directly asked at Amazon re: affiliate account about clicking ads to check for expired products and if this would affect our account. I was told no and it was an acceptable way to check for expired products.

Good to hear. I'll bet I am not the only one who did not know the difference in what is acceptable to click on, and what is not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)