AVG Alert

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

On my laptop, not my desktop, both of which have AVG installed, I get a warning after each transaction, "This site might be vulnerable. Sharing personal information on this site is not advised." Anyone else getting the same thing? I think it's odd. I don't recall having disabled the message on the desktop. The desktop runs Win7, the laptop Win8.

Sometimes my puters can be worse than two-year-olds.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I got conned by the AVG "FREE" download. I did download it and the action was free, but as soon as I set it up, a message appeared to UPGRADE and I followed the link. Most of the App does NOT work unless I forked over $24.99 for the activation which they did not say anything about in the beginning. So enter "Uninstall Monster," and he took care of this application of greed.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is no issue with the site and this is a false positive.

It appears like older versions of AVG have problems.
      There is more information here.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124106#post2628099

Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I appreciate your input. The versions are the most recent updates, but I'll definitely follow the link.

2. shellys-space profile image61
    shellys-spaceposted 9 years ago

Yes, I did. I was surprised but proceeded anyway.

3. Elsie Hagley profile image71
    Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years ago

I have no warnings or problems with my Mac OS X 10.75.
    Using Google Chrome.

It must be a windows problem.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the link.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I use AVAST now. Malware Bytes  and I pay for Trojan killer around 40 a year.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Linda,
      Thanks for the info.

I used Avast a number of years ago until it was bought out by either Norton or McAfee. I have issues with both of those company's AV products.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Trojan Killer has trial run.  It is worth the cost because it picks up things that AVAST and Malware bytes does not.   I use Chrome alot and when things start acting up, I run Trojan killer full scan to see what it picks up.  If some site is doing something wacky, Trojan Killer puts out this loud sound which tells you it has found something.

7. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Many of these downloads are SUSPICIOUS. If I am uncertain, I DON'T DOWNLOAD!

8. jmsp206 profile image64
    jmsp206posted 9 years ago

I too had some bad experiences with AVE sometimes it's hard to know which ones are on to download.

9. salmmm22 profile image73
    salmmm22posted 9 years ago

Make sure you have all the updates for the computer. There are also add-ons you can download for your browser to stop flash from playing and having security loops, as well as YouTube stoppers so you are more secure and also use less of your bandwidth. Those add-ons let you hit play to activate videos or ads. Make sure your antivirus is running and up to date. Does it happen a lot or just a little? You may also have something redirecting you to fake pages.

10. Judy Filarecki profile image71
    Judy Filareckiposted 9 years ago

I have this happen all the time and Mathew explained that HubPages does not use the thing that is the problem. As I was reading this, I realized that it only shows up on my laptop that has the free version of AVG. It does not happen on the laptop and tower computers that I have paid versions on. Just a thought to consider.

11. Kalafina profile image64
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

AVG went so far as to keep popping up that it should be the home page search. Accidentally let it and it slowed my Mozilla down to the point where it crashed every other page. I have been using HubPages on either my Nook Color HD+ or Google Chrome as it seems to have a vendetta against it. Anyone know of an awesome free antivirus software? I used to pay for Norton but definitely do not want to return. I do have Spybot Search & Destroy.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

For Windows 7 and 8.x Microsoft provides Windows Security Essentials (Windows Defender) for free.
      That is what I use on all of my Windows machines with no incident.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … s-download

Make sure to remove any previous ant-virus software before you try anything new as the like to fight each other! wink

1. Kalafina profile image64
        Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My beloved Dell is  a 2007 and I got a message saying Windows no longer offered the free security as my program is too old. I dislike the new program and can't afford it monetarily at the moment. Alternate options? smile

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

If you have an older computer with Windows XP, then a Linux distribution might be a good option.
          Ubuntu may be a good place to start.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)