jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Personal Goals

1. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

When my articles were at Squidoo, I always sort of felt like I was competing against other lensmasters in my topic, to get that highest ranking article, and the better pay level.

One of the things I like very much about the system here at HubPages is that I only see how my own articles are being ranked, on their own merits. I find myself better able to set personal goals about where I'd like to see my hubs ranked, and better equipped to make those changes happen.

Anybody else having this experience?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image98
      Jayne Lancerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

When you say "... see [your] hubs ranked," do you mean in terms of hub score? I can't make any sense of mine.

2. Barbara Kay profile image91
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I hope you are talking about how they are ranked in Google. Never let hubscores get you down, because they fluctuate so much and no one has ever figured out how they are rated.

2. pateluday profile image39
    pateludayposted 3 years ago

It is possible to achieve personal goals at Hub Pages. But you have to dig very deep into contents and other aspects of hub. This is an ongoing effort which yields success often. But sometime you feel exasperated the amount attention you have to pay at the hubs. 

Best of luck to you!

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 3 years ago

All we have is Hub Score which is next to hub, and our hubber's score that is in our profile.  We can only guess at how they reach those scores and they fluctuate day by day. It is best to simply concentrate on your content, and getting traffic to your hubs and hopefully some sales.

4. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

Great observation.   After all, you're not in competition with other Hubbers to get traffic - we are all working together to build traffic to the site.

The people you're competing with are other writers who write on the same topic as you, and are competing for ranking in Google.

I was wondering exactly what the OP meant, because of the mention of the system here and how articles are ranked. But, as you say, our Google ranking is obviously the most important thing.

lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sorry. At Squidoo, on our dashboard, we could see how our articles were ranked within all the content on the entire service, by a specific rank number. For a long while, our pay was tied to how highly ranked we were on Squidoo, and the goal was to have articles ranked in the top 2,000 to get that highest pay level.

I think those kinds of systems can be fun. Our hub score system would be more fun if we could make some proper sense of it. But I think the only figures to take seriously are traffic and search engine ranking.

2. lisavollrath profile image97

I'm fortunate to have very little competition in some of my topics, so my high rank from Squidoo carried over to HubPages. Because I've written other articles about the same subjects on my own web sites, very often, my competition for the top spot on Google is with my own work. smile

Really, what I'm experiencing here is more about where I'd like to see my articles ranked by the mysterious hub score. I'm learning what I do that seems to assuage the Score Gods, and what seems to make them angry. What other writers are doing is the farthest thing from my mind at the moment.

Please let me know what you learn. I've been studying hub score for quite a while now, but still no conclusion--except that it doesn't make any sense.

So far, for my topics:

Longer is better. Hitting that 1250+ word count really seems to help. Breaking the text up into small chunks with headings is working better for me than The Great Wall of Text.

Hitting all the goals in that little box in the upper right seems to help, too. At least three photos, maybe a video, and a poll is working for me. Because I write how-to stuff, my articles tend to have tons of images. My longest how-to articles with step-by-step photos are doing really well.

And, I've seen my scores rise slowly and steadily for a few days, then plateau for a few, and then either leap up very quickly, or fall very slightly. I haven't quite figured out what's making this happen four or five days after an article has been posted.

I seem to be the exception to the rule. I went through it vaguely in answer to Marisa the other day: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124657#post2635037 The only thing I'll add is that my hubs tend to be on the long side - 1000 words plus.

5. Arachnea profile image77
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

I'm too new to HP to be able to speak from experience, but your observation seems sound.

working