jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

Ludicrous (slow) speed...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

I'm wondering whether the importation of all the Squidoo articles has caused a traffic jam in HP's computers.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed the site operating at a snail's pace.  Sometimes, it won't even load.

Now, before anyone jumps right up and suggests a problem with my computer, let me assure you, I have already very recently:

run my virus scanning program, which has the latest updates;
    run my malware program, which is also up-to-date;
    run disc cleanup;
    run defrag;
    run backup;
    and, I am running AdBlocker Plus, which has always helped pages load faster since there is no waiting for ads to load.

Additionally, I am not having this creeping slow problem on any other site I visit!!

Ergo, the issue must be on the HP end of things.

Can anyone address whether or not they are also experiencing issues, and if so, should we assume the site merger may be to blame?  (I.e.  ... should HP have upgraded their own servers before attempting this action?)

1. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

HP is in the process of upgrading their servers (as announced in another forum thread). This is causing some slow time and little bugs. As soon as the upgrade is complete we should see a difference.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I guess you haven't looked at your account page recently!    They upgraded the servers last weekend and it didn't go well.   I'm noticing the speed still isn't quite up to scratch even today.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I have looked at my account page recently; I do so daily. The only thing I've seen was an advisory about a delay in posting stats.  No further details were given there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How odd.  It was up on my account page before last weekend, over the weekend and for a few days after that. 

Anyway, the point is,  you are right that it's a HubPages problem, not your PC. There was a server upgrade and it looks like they're still trying to sort out the bugs. They're on it!

2. hotbrain profile image76
    hotbrainposted 3 years ago

It's not just you.  It has been slow. Today I have been trying to edit hubs and it takes a long time to update them. At times, hubpages isn't loading at all. 

I also use a website service to monitor downtime, and several times this last week my hubpages subdomain was down for about 5 minutes.  However, the slowness is actually more frustrating than it being completely down... Because it's slow enough that people are probably clicking the back button and I have no way to know how often that's happening.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I've had it refuse to load, and also come up with a blank page and a dialog box saying "unable to load page" when I try to make forum posts.  It happens about every other time.

3. Uzochukwu Mike profile image58
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 3 years ago

it may be network error

4. carny profile image86
    carnyposted 3 years ago

I have nothing to compare to since I'm new here, but yes. I get random timeouts when editing, or the "loading" icon just stays there blinking forever. Photos occasionally don't upload and have to be reuploaded later. Anyway, it's definitely not your computer or connection.

5. CatherineGiordano profile image90
    CatherineGiordanoposted 3 years ago

I've been having those problems too.  I was starting to think it was my computer.

6. CatherineGiordano profile image90

I've been having those problems too.  I was starting to think it was my computer.

7. CatherineGiordano profile image90

8. CatherineGiordano profile image90

9. Dressage Husband profile image80
    Dressage Husbandposted 3 years ago

No they were updating the servers, actually physically moving to a new site. This is always difficult, so the added burden of an extra 175,000 Hubs imported from Squidoo and all the extra editing going on is not helping.

HP management are still saying it is not the merger. However having done such major updates in the past I would say that there has to be an effect. Not sure how well HP was doing before the merger, but the loss of traffic is more to do with poor response than it is to do with Panda. My Hubs (formerly lenses) are ranking well in Google still so it is not Panda at least in my case. Hope this helps.

The server updating appears to have been problematic as stats had to be put on hold for 3 days or so. Mine updated today, but the 24 hr total was above the 7 day and it even showed some negatives for a while (How can you get negative views?) so I think we will be having issues for a couple more days despite HO being on it.

10. tirelesstraveler profile image85
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

I have limited time to spend on HP lately and when I have been here it's been so frustrating.

working