jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Oops!!

1. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 10 years ago

I accidentally clicked the Publish button twice, and it caused my hub to be flagged for "duplicate content."

Is there any way I can delete the duplicate myself?

2. William F. Torpey profile image75
    William F. Torpeyposted 10 years ago

I did the same thing. When I hit "publish" nothing happened, so I hit it again. It only showed up once on my hub list, but it shows up twice on my hubtivity history.

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 10 years ago

William -- I noticed that but couldn't reproduce the problem it myself by hitting publish twice.  I'm curious what browser you and gamergirl are using, Internet Explorer or Firefox.  Hopefully we can prevent that from happening in the future.

Gamergirl -- Hitting the publish button twice wasn't the reason for the duplicate penalty (and in fact you really only published one hub).  It looks like a big portion of that hub was lyrics to a song which appear frequently elsewhere on the web.  We try and detect hubs that aren't original content or have been cut and pasted from other sites.  When we find something like that we lower the HubScore.  HubPages is first and foremost a place for original content.

However, occasionally our system catches a hub that is using copied content in a reasonable manner -- for instance, a list of jokes, a popular poem, quotes from the constitution, etc.  If your hub receives a duplicate penalty that you feel is unwarranted, just click the learn more button and submit it for review.  We will override the penalty if we agree that your use is reasonable.

4. gamergirl profile image60

I actually posted the hub in preparation for a hub on a new game that just came out, as I'm trying to develop a little bit of a theme amidst my hubs (though I do have hubs published right now which are spread over a few genres.)  I'll be more frugal with the posting of lyrics to songs, no matter how great the song was.  tongue

5. gamergirl profile image60

Oh, and I'm using IE7 for my internet surfing and such, my duplicate hub posting shows in my hubtivity, and if you need me to I can show you a screenshot of this.

6. Kenny Wordsmith profile image81
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 10 years ago

And Paul, some of my hubs could have content that are found elsewhere, as it is my writing which has appeared before. Or my art. Original in the sense that it is mine, but not in the sense that it has not been used before. I love hubbers more than readers at those places, that's why. Hubbers are more ready to respond, appreciate and encourage.
    Is that okay?

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 10 years ago

That's perfectly fine Kenny.  They have to be fairly heavily duplicated before you're likely to see any penalty (there aren't any problems with your existing hubs).  If you do happen to get a penalty it will show up at the top of the hub.  Just click the learn more link and submit it for review.  We'll clear the penalty right away if everything checks out.

There are basically two classes of "cut and paste artists" that we are trying to discourage, 1) those that copy content that they didn't create or add anything original to from other sites and attempt to monetize it or use it for search engine optimization on hubpages, 2) those that have some content that they may have created themselves, but have plastered it all over the internet (blogs, hubpages, squidoo, etc.) along with links back to a site they are trying to promote in search engines. 

Generally, these kind of hubs are trying to take without adding anything to the community.  I only wish we could spend more time improving HubPages and less time fighting spam, but that's just the way it is.

8. Kenny Wordsmith profile image81
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 10 years ago

Thanks, Paul, that was fast.
    Whew!

9. William F. Torpey profile image75
    William F. Torpeyposted 10 years ago

Thank you, Paul. I'm using Internet Explorer.

10. BenChessOpenings profile image53
    BenChessOpeningsposted 10 years ago

It's really nice to have such quick and helpful responses from the administrators!

working