High Score Hubs Won't Publish & Won't Say Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. DesignAction profile image64
    DesignActionposted 9 years ago

I am having a problem with 2 hubs that won't publish/feature despite having a decent score (ex. 74). An email comes that says "Hub not cleared for publication because it didn't pass the quality assessment process" , however, it does not say specifically what TO do to get it to pass.

I have been over the guidelines again and again, and the hub seems to meet every single one. The hub in question, a Apple Spice Cookie instruction hub even got a comment (it was positive) before it got torn down due to the mystery problem.

Can anyone help with what's going on here?
    If there's anything specific to do to the hub, I would surely do it if only I knew what it was. Do I need to post a link to it in here or anything? Since it said it didn't publish I don't know if anyone looking could even see the link if I were to post it.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately only a staff member can view an unpublished hub to tell you what the issues might be.  If you want more specific feedback about what's wrong with your two hubs, you should contact them at the email.
      team at hubpages.com
      They generally do not answer these sorts of questions publicly on the forum, so email is your best bet.  Good luck and I hope you are able to get them cleared.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, we cannot see an unpublished hub.  Let's see if we can help out anyway.  Is it your own recipe or did you copy it from somewhere?  Did you include information about your own experiences with making the recipe?  Did you include photographs of the food?  Did you include a rating module? Did you include nutrition information? Are there any typos on the hub? Is the formatting okay?  A recipe hub probably doesn't need any sales capsules; did you include any?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90

I took a look at your Chia Seed hub, to see if there might be a pattern.  You write well, although like everybody else, it pays to proofread.  I recommend adding different text capsules (with headings) for different parts of the hub, and putting the images throughout instead of all in a row.

2. DesignAction profile image64
        DesignActionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

These are great questions, thank you for starting off the help.
        This is a 100% original recipe. The directions in the recipe are our experience with making it (things like that the cookies do spread, choosing 2 types of apples makes the cookies better, etc).

There are over 4 photos of the food, including a finished one of the cookies. They're all high resolution, clear pics under photog lights. Some of the photos are step-by-step shots to illustrate the people how to make the recipe. Ratings, nutrition, ingredients, & instructions are all included capsules. The formatting is varied (no text-walls) with photos to break up the text & show the various points. It has no sales or ad capsules.

There is 1 link to 1 domain, a home page, not an affiliate or squeeze, it's totally relevant to the recipe & it is an informational page. Every photo has a caption. It passed spell-check (checker hates the word "Chia" so......we are helpless against it if it's citing that.)

The "Hub checklist" widget at the top right that "checks off" milestones as you build the hub has all green, for word count, capsule & variety.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90

It sounds like a great hub to me. 

When I had a problem with a hub and I couldn't figure out what could be wrong with it, I sent a message asking for help (team@hubpages.com) and I received a prompt reply telling me the specific problem. I have always gotten help when I asked.

3. DesignAction profile image64

That chia seed hub is about a zillion years old.
        Maybe it is from the start of hubpages. We have been afraid to edit it, fearing that it will unpublish or be deemed unworthy for it is far shorter & the photos of less quality (certainly, an older digital camera) than either current failed hub. Certainly, as you say the chia seed hub could benefit from the better formatting that is now available, but I wouldn't touch it for fear of it going in the bin like everything else with no real way to get it out.

Do you believe that editing that hub might improve the chance of the 2 other hubs that refuse to do anything? They will go 'pending', one cleared and was published for 5 minutes, then got denied, and of course the one that went up long enough to garner a comment, but then tore down.

Thank you for having a look at it, this forum really is as helpful as mentioned!

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

'have you add in these
      video
      ebay and amazon capsules-3 in total
      table
      quiz
      contents-700-1000 words
      1 external link, internal link to hubpages no limit
      pictures- credit

It's just a recipe, so a video, or ebay/amazon selling capsule were not relevant in any way. The recipe was about fresh ingredients like nuts & apples that you can't really / shouldn't buy on there. It was the same way with the table or the quiz option, because it was supposed to be just a recipe that was easy & fast so anyone could bake it.

The hub had 1275 words or so, (all of the top right corner word-counting hub page widget word-count milestones were checked off)

We didn't link our other hub...so we'll go and make that change now, along with crediting the photos to ourselves, because as we baked we also set up the photo shoot to get nice high res shots for the hub.

Thank you for responding! Anything we may have missed like linking the other published hub could be the hidden key to making this thing run. If this works, I will report back here to this thread, because I'm sure others may run into this frustration as well.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your Hub is a good length - which it is - then adding videos, ad capsules, tables and quizes is totally unnecessary.   They are there as suggestions to spice up your Hub, that's all, and should never be used unless they are completely appropriate to the subject.  I don't know why some people have got the idea they're some kind of magic!

Linking to another Hub won't make a difference either.  Be careful if crediting your photos - you can put your name in the credit line but don't hyperlink it to your profile or blog etc. (those links count as "not related").

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Yeah, they send you links to the learning center.

That's what I was afraid of.
      You're saying that if I follow the advice of "Calculus Geometry" at the top of this thread & email the hub team, they will just send links to the learning center? I have been there countless times trying to detect some hidden flaw or rule that I am missing, but to no avail. Do you think emailing them is totally futile / will just serve to annoy them into ignoring / binning my every hub?
      I came to the forum first because of the good reputation on helpful people here...it is too bad others can't see it to help out...maybe if there was a hub-sandbox or something, viewable only by help forum users on a thread, that could be useful.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Yeah, they send you links to the learning center.

4. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

If you write to the Hub team, and explain your situation, they will look at the hub and give you specific feedback.

Remember that forum advice can often include a lot of sour grapes.

The posting to this forum (apparently) created enough interest by the team to put a message at the top of the unpublished hub. It had the general "It doesn't meet quality standards but we won't say why", but then also hints that it may contain "Spammy Elements" , which, with 1 exterior link, 1 related hubpages link & no sales capsules at all, I'm not sure how is possible.

We removed the nutrition facts capsule (other recipes don't have it & are published) as it was too hard to to determine each nutrient level thanks to the variable ingredients like golden vs. regular raisins, the choice of nuts, and sheer variety of apples one may use in the recipe. Maybe that poorer capsule was holding it back?

If this doesn't work, we'll be taking your advice and writing the hub team because we're stumped, thank you for this advice!

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
        Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday 8 of my hubs were unpublished, and I was shocked. They were all ones I wrote when I first came to HP, though as the standards and rules changed, I always tried to keep updating them.

Sometimes all you need to do is tweak them a little. Add a poll. Maybe you have another sentence or two, something new you learned that has to do with the recipe. Or an anecdote about someone who tried tasting it for the first time. Or maybe you just have one more comment to make now that time has passed.

I did that last night, and today all of the 8 are featured again. You can usually see what's wrong when your hub is in edit mode. And all the times I've been stumped, and written to the Team@hubpages.com, they usually answer rather quickly, and are very nice and helpful.

Good luck with getting that hub fixed up. You may look at it and decide to take something out too.

5. naturegirl7s profile image85
    naturegirl7sposted 9 years ago

Sometimes what is called "key word stuffing" is considered spammy. It is often an innocent mistake. Perhaps you use the word "apple" too many times or nuts, or cookies. Count the common words you use and try to replace any that appear too often with synonyms.
    A poll would help engage the reader.
    You may want to remove the link to the outside site. I know that doesn't seem fair, but the site may be considered spammy, is on the "naughty" list or HP may not deem it a relevant link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)