Social Sharing Icons Beneath ALL the ads on the right side now?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I went to share a fellow hubbers hub and had to hunt for the buttons in order to share.  There were at the very bottom of the right hand side.  Then I checked one of my own hubs - all the way at the bottom.  Not helpful, especially when many of us rely primarily on social media for our traffic.  People who come here and are not overly familiar with HP will likely never see them in that position.

You don't even see them until you scroll all the way to the bottom of the comments.  Wow - that's just terrible I'm sorry.  I'm not one to grumble and fuss around here and appreciate the hard work that goes into this site, but that is terrible placement for social media icons, particularly for those of us who get a lot of our traffic from social media. 

You guys should be making it easier to share and encouraging sharing for all our sakes.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image90
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We agree, and we do have plans to move the sharing buttons once we've finished testing ad layouts. smile

1. susi10 profile image95
        susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's great! My social traffic has dropped drastically in the last week, and I'm thinking that the social sharing buttons being underneath the ads had a huge impact.

But at least, that'll change.
        Thanks for bringing this up Christin! And thanks Christy for the quick answer!

2. LongTimeMother profile image91
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And the testing of ad layouts will take how long, Christy? This problem has been discussed on the forums for quite a while.

Surely it would be relatively simple to just move the share icons to immediately beneath the thumbs up, thumbs down etc ... a logical and obvious place ... until such time as you want to try out another idea.

Because share buttons help drive outside traffic to hp, it would seem to be in everyone's best interest to have the problem addressed promptly. Unless you are suggesting (and I really hope you're not) that hp would rather not make sharing more accessible until such time as you get your ad layouts sorted.

Sharing should be a decision made based on the content of the hub ... not influenced by which ad happens to appear above or below it. Someone reads a hub, and gets a chance to immediately respond to it. (By voting, sharing etc.) 

Making readers go in search of the share buttons obviously isn't working. I'm wondering what justifies further delay in fixing the problem?

ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I really have to agree that this issue should be a top priority and I certainly hope that is the case.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91

Christin, do you remember if we were ever given an explanation for the decision to remove stats from our share icons? Everyone could see at a glance how many hundreds or thousands of people had shared any hub on facebook, by pinning etc - or if nobody had actually shared it yet.

I wondered at the time if it was a strategy to deter thieves from copying popular hubs - although with the passing of time, it is obvious that content is still stolen and DMCAs still have to be lodged.

Hopefully they'll reinstate those stats. I've noticed other websites still displaying them. It is one good way to monitor reader feedback. If lots of people are sharing a hub, it is obviously meeting their needs.

Clearly hp are not currently concerned with discouraging theft. EC banners are a flag implying/indicating high quality and high traffic (whether that's true or not.) So I'm thinking now would be a good time to suggest they reinstate the share stats.

I opted out of EC because my stats on those hubs dropped and even after a few months hadn't recovered. Are you happy with EC on yours?

I am happy with EC on mine so far so I've kept it for now. I've noticed most of my EC hubs are ones that are old.  None of my newer hubs in the last several months have "made the cut" - I know my writing didn't just suddenly start to suck lol, so I think they are just behind a bit or perhaps I have delusions of grandeur about my writing wink who knows?

I agree with you on the stats counting on the share icons.  I enjoyed that feature and have it on my blogs. I was quite displeased when they did away with that.  The reason given was that it was slowing page load speeds, which they thought might negatively impact traffic, so I understood that reasoning.  This was of course before the multitudes of new ads that I would think would certainly slow page load speeds more, but I don't claim to be an expert in that aspect of things. 

I too would like to see that feature returned, but I can live without it.  What I am not going to be content with is share buttons that are inconveniently located. At this point in their current location - why bother? No one can see them unless they hunt for them.  Christy says they are addressing it, so I hope that comes about soon .  That is a very important issue.  In my mind, it's much more important than ad layout testing when it is impacting traffic.  I didn't honestly pay attention to how long this has been going on and was blaming Google for traffic falls.  I'm watching more closely now with analytics.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
              rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I recall, I think it slows down load time to collect data.  I remember that they were slow to load.

Hi rebekah. I wonder how much extra time it takes to load Oprah sobbing in floating ads. It distracts me to see movement within ads. I hate them.

Does having lots of photos slow down load time? If so, is it a mistake to encourage us to include them. Nobody would want to change their existing photos (me included), but perhaps we should be using smaller file sizes in future. I've started trying to remember to do that, just to see what difference it makes in my own hubs.

I don't know how much difference it makes to load time collecting that data for share stats. It takes forever for everything to load on my computer, thanks to satellite internet. Did everyone else say, "Oh, great! These hubs load so much faster!" when the change was made?

That's a serious question. smile

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christy, for telling that you have plans to move the buttons upward in future. I suggest that these buttons can be placed on the left side at the bottom of completion of the hub before related articles and everything.

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Whew, thank goodness - Thanks Christy! smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image84

+   
      I can understand for a blog having them underneath the content, but not on a site like this where most viewers aren't going to scroll past the comments.

3. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Don't hold your breath waiting for the share stats to be reinstated. I suspect hp will be far too embarrassed to do that for a l-o-n-g time.

I just manually checked a hub that had over 2.5k shares when they were displayed. They are all gone now. Did that happen when I changed to EC ... and back again? Did that clear the counter?

Maybe. But even if that's the case, the current position of the icons is obviously very wrong! It is quite a few months since I opted out of EC ... and even my most popular hubs are lucky to have a total of six shares, other than pins.  But I think pin stats reflect activity when pinners share within pinterest. I very much doubt readers would be finding the icon and only choosing to pin, not fb or g+ etc.

One of the hubs I checked has 30 for twitter. That seems to be my highest stat (other than pins).

Hard to imagine I'm the only one with such pathetic stats. Thank goodness I don't depend heavily on social media.

Here's the link to manually check your own hubs. http://www.likeexplorer.com/
    I'm interested in hearing how it looks for others.  And I'm also interested in hearing how long exactly we are expected to wait before the ineffective positioning of the icons is rectified ...

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

@Longtimemother, Paul E. expressed his priority a couple of weeks ago on a thread about editing.  He has numerous posts within the thread.  I think if you read it, you can understand why some of these other issues aren't at the top of the list.  Everything seems to be intertwined, but ad revenue keeps the site financially viable.  Content is still king, but it's much harder now with the competitiveness of ranking well with original, relevant, quality, user generated content that gives value to the reader.
    I hear you about some of the ads.  Nobody likes some of the crazy ads that show up on our hubs, but that's what pays the bills.
    Here's the post I referred to above.

"My top priority is keeping HubPages financially viable while tackling these two things."
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128471? … ost2704148

Thanks for the link. I followed it and noticed I participated on that thread (where I suggested a second site be established by hp for experienced writers which would be one way of addressing some of the current issues, while the general hp site problems are resolved).

I don't have a problem with having ads ... just as I don't have a problem with ads on free-to-air tv. My problem is when ads distract the readers ... and detract from their experience/enjoyment of the site. There are some websites I won't visit, despite where they appear in search results, because I remember them as being really annoying sites for one reason or another.

+1 absolutely.  I understand the need to make money with ads, but some of the ads are obnoxious and it will keep people from returning or clicking on HP in search results.  I never click about.com links for example because their site is, or at least it used to be, so spammy and intrusive.

5. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Those social media sharing buttons have been in that bottom position for several weeks, ChristinS. It makes you wonder how much impact it has had on the very low traffic most of us have been experiencing.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

FYI, the social sharing buttons are halfway down the page on my Kindke Fire. Maybe there's a difference in placement between mobile and desktop/laptop?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84

I don't see the icons on my android mobile device.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)