Hub Is Being Promoted On Racist Website - What would you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (25 posts)
  1. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 15 years ago

I was looking at my stats today and noticed one of my hubs (Why Has Being A Liberal Become A Bad Thing?) had a nice spike in views.  Found the source of this spike was a racist website.  Can't find the link in there as most of the site is only password accessible.  Really don't want my work or me affiliated.  I am sure they are railing against what I said, which is fine, but do not want anyone to think I am affiliated.

What would you do if anything?  Don't think contacting the website will do anything.  Thinking of writing a hub directly to them and linking it with the one they linked.  Then telling them of what I think?

Want some suggestions. Thanks.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

bgpappa,
      Personally I would write the hub in diplomatic fashion of course. smile

2. MBP42 profile image60
      MBP42posted 15 years agoin reply to this

If nothing else post a hub making it very clear you are not affiliated and why. I like the suggestion of tagging their site with a hub that is anti racist. Try to open their eyes to a better point of view than the hatred the racists are putting out. Do your hub page big and bold be brazen about it.

2. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

You can't control who links to you on the web - nor can it hurt your hubs rankings. I wouldn't worry about it and move on.

3. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

I agree, best just ignoring it and not letting them get to you.

4. JamaGenee profile image76
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

A backlink is a backlink.  As Lissie said, you can't control it, but it *does* help your rankings.  Be happy your stuff was noticed outside of HubPages.

Also, don't worry about anyone thinking you're affiliated with the racist site.  Not a snowflake's chance of *that* happening!

5. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

I think that there is nothing to worry about.  Bgpappa, as a fan your hubs I have to say, that you are an excellent writer.  If your hub is being discussed and is getting the attention it deserves, is a good thing.  You know, it's like this-  Wal-mart sells white sheets, but they are in no way affiliated with the KKK.  You can't control who your audience might be, anymore than Wal-mart could control white sheets being purchased by people in the KKK.  I'm excited for you.  Hopefully you will generate some steady cash flow out of this.  Where as the racists group might be giving your hub great attention, they too have purchasing power.

You know, I'd have the same concern as you do.  I think any decent person would.  But I agree with the other hubbers.  This in noway reflects the person you are.  And if you do get static, tell that person to read some of your hubs and comments left by us fans.

Keep up the great work.

6. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

Can't you just join their site and have a look?

7. R. Blue profile image61
    R. Blueposted 15 years ago

Who was it that said  "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right"?  and of course send me my royalty check.

8. bgpappa profile image77

Thanks for your comments.  I guess if they are mad at me I am doing something right.  I will just let it be.  Hopefully they are clickers.

9. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

This isn't quite the same problem as a racist site (which, of course, is a more serious matter); but someone I know searched my name and came up with a site under the same first and last name (not middle) that's "way-nothing" I'd ever be involved with.  (!)  It's an "erotic-related" site, presented very prominently by its namesake.  I didn't stay around long enough to see how "bad" the site is, and it isn't, I don't think, anything hard core.  It's just that I, personally, would never be involved with putting together something like that.

Then, too, I do freelance writing for clients and have my links on things like job/project-match sites.  Also, I have two grown sons, a daughter, and any number of friends and family I just don't want thinking I have some secret personality.   smile

So, on each of my blogs I added a note that essentially says, "Lisa" and my last name are common names; and I'm not necessarily affiliated with all sites associated with that name.

Of course, that person hasn't (as far as I know) linked to my writing (and maybe if she did, assuming it's really a "she") I'd get far more traffic.   smile

Upon thinking about your situation, though, there's the thinking that you shouldn't have to worry about who/what links to your material.  Then there's my thinking that leans toward contacting them and requesting they remove the link.  Whether it makes sense or not, and whether there aren't 100 more objectionable sites also linking to something you wrote; I tend to think I may politely request they remove the link.  I guess I'd feel better by operating on my own principle and taking the step to, in my own way, reject beliefs I would find as so objectionable.   Of course, I'm the first to admit that being a stickler for principle, and so often being unable to resist taking even a small stand, sometimes amounts to making mountains out of molehills.   smile

10. bgpappa profile image77

Appreciate your thoughts. 
    The site is highly objectionalbe.  I have thought about this a lot and think I will let it be.  I assume it is linked because they disagree with my stance.  I am a big believer in honest debate so I will let them vent.  Perhaps one of them could comment instead of railing in a closed debate but so be it.  I know my beliefs.  And again, if I got them mad, I am doing something right.

11. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

You're right.  There is always something to be said for letting people make very public exactly who/what they are; because people who are "off the wall" never have arguments that can hold a shred of water - and that is what always, always, becomes very obvious.

12. bgpappa profile image77

Very obvious. 

Swear I am not just trying to get people to read my hub but check out the last comment I received.  I will leave it up for a little while but will have to delete it due to the profanity, lenghth and its failure to be coherent.

13. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Good question, good use of our community....

If I found that this happened, I *personally* would welcome the new readers to the Hub (by editing it, giving a short message) and then explaining to them your feelings on the topic. For instance, I would be compelled to condemn racism in this context.

Just thoughts...

Sincerely,

GLM

14. bgpappa profile image77

Update

Got a few threatening comments now.  The one that is left is not threatening at all, but is a good summary of what I have seen.  Deleted them due to profanity.

Got a couple of clicks though so I won't complain

15. bgpappa profile image77

After many comments that were just filled with profanity and racial slurs, all seems to be quiet.  Thanks to all for your comments.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, those people have a short attention span smile

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wholly agree, I know I---hey, shiny object!!!

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had a few on one site. I just deleted them.

16. bgpappa profile image77

lol

17. Tom Rubenoff profile image89
    Tom Rubenoffposted 15 years ago

I suggest the following.  Enjoy the promotion.  Edit your hub.  Put in a new first line:  "Not affiliated with that [expletive] racist site, [name site with no link]."  or any such disclaimer.

Look at it this way, it might actually do some of those bigots some good if they come read your hub, and a lot of the visitors from that site may not be bigots at all, but merely tourists.

1. agvulpes profile image83
      agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Tom . only i'd put a link in there telling em if they want to comment on your hub,they have to join hubpages (thru you of course with a tracker attached)
      Now that would be one up against their haystack.

18. bgpappa profile image77

I left them up for a little while, then deleted the ones with excessive profanity, which left all of one.

They have also been leaving comments on my other hubs with other well thought out arguments.  None of them have survived. 

If they left an actual comment that contained their argument, no matter how horrible it is, I would leave it up in the spirit of debate.

They have not done so as of yet, so we will see.  I am still getting about three views a day from that website.

19. bgpappa profile image77

Well lets be clear, it wasn't really being promoted.  Rather, it was up there as "hey, look at the garbage this guy wrote."  Promoted was bad use of language.  Just didn't like seeing the website name in my stats.

That being said, I will fight it one comment at a time, at least the ones I leave up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)