Does a "date stamp" on a Hub have any legal benefit?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I'm wondering this in terms of Hubs being stolen and published elsewhere. Let's say a Hub is stolen, meaning it is copied and published on another site, and you are going to file to have it removed or something along those lines. But let's say you no longer have it published on Hubpages but have since moved it to your own site, but the copied one is out there on another site.However, let's say you either have it still sitting on HP unpublished or you have copied it in full, for instance, using the Firefox add-on ScrapBook which copies a Hub totally and saves it. Can the date showing when the Hub was originally published help you legally in any way, for instance in filing a DMCA?

Second part of the question: What if the stolen Hub was copied to a total crap site? Is there any reason to worry about it at all?

1. Denmarkguy profile image84
      Denmarkguyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't really answer your question directly... but I think it becomes a bit dodgy if the copied content has ben UNpublished by you, in the meantime. If the earliest date stamp isn't out in the public domain, I'm not sure how much it can help. It's a bit like "poor man's copyright" in the days of printed articles. If you wrote a short story (for example), we needed to physically mail the document to ourselves by certified mail to establish earliest use... it had to be "public," as in have the post office postmark.

If you have an actual screen shot, showing the date, it might be different.

What DOES work (and I believe "counts" in cases of establishing "first use") is to use the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive's "on demand" submission feature, which creates a permanent snapshot of any public page, and it carries authority because it's a third-party record. Of course, that doesn't work retroactively, but it's good practice to create these snapshots when you publish your content to writer's sites that may come and go with the wind.

~Peter

NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I used to do the copyright through the mail thing, hadn't thought of that in years. I guess we're a couple old school guys.

I hadn't thought of the wayback machine, that's a good idea. I do have copies of my whole HP account that I copied with ScrapBook. It's an add-on that copies everything--format, images, text, the whole look of the site and it will even copy the My Account page with all the Hubs on it, along with all the Hubs--from the copy, you can literally go to the Hubs from the My Account page. I'm just wondering if this is a legitimate copy, but you might be right, might not hold water.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I believe that as long as the hub is still active the date stamp serves as proof of publishing date.  This can be further backed up by your stats page dates and, if needed, support from the staff.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

Great question, Nathan. I would also like to know if the date a hub was created has any legal weight. Displayed copyright text, although it serves notice that the work is copyrighted, is just text. But I wonder if Hub timestamps constitute some sort of proof of publication.

3. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 8 years ago

Uncertainty about date precedence can lead to confusion with Google DMCA requests. After Yahoo Voices shut down and all that content had gone offline, I found a stolen copy of one of my articles and sent Google a DMCA request. They came back and said they couldn't determined whether my copy of the article (I had saved it to my own site) was the original. Turned out that the thief had spoofed the publication date listed on his stolen copy to make it prior to my actual date of publication. But he made a big mistake. My article concerned President Obama's 2013 State of the Union Address, but the thief dated his copy prior to the date of that speech. When I pointed this out to Google, they went ahead and blocked the thief's page.

But if that internal inconsistency had not been present, I'm not sure I could have proven that mine was the original.

That is an interesting story Ron, it's humorous the thief didn't even think of the date of events in the article. That is concerning and also good info for what I'm asking here that the date could not have been proven to Google (other than the thief's error),

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Nate,
        I have often wondered if it matters when our hubs are copied to "crap sites." Sometimes I see a hub has been stolen, and when I search for it, it's on some site that has 3 other articles on it in another language. I figure it's not worth the trouble if it's a site with no traffic. Sorry about your work though, I know it hurts.

1. stricktlydating profile image84
          stricktlydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes Google has asked me for evidence about the original date of publication, mostly when I've updated a Hub and the DMCA I'm filling is for a page which was copied before my updates were made, so I send them a screenshot from my Account section of Hubpages which does show the Hub title and original date of publication. I do sometimes add the original date of publication (And the URL) to a text capsule within a published Hub which has been frequently copied, for additional evidence.

That's good to know that they accept that kind of evidence.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Thanks, Jean.

Yeah, one of my Hubs is copied to exactly the kind of site you're talking about. I have strong doubts the site gets any traffic or any other kind of attention. They've scraped some content and plopped some ads on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)