Will Google see re-featured articles as older and give them priority?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

OK, I am seeing a worrisome trend that's repeating itself too often. My clients talk to me about one of their dog's behavior problems, so we go over some basics and then I Google the name of an article I have featured on hubpages so to print it out and give it as a hand-out, and it's no where to find on Google. However, I find several articles that are basically copied from me, same title, same topics, just a rehash of my articles, and these copied articles are ranking on first page of Google for the keywords I use. So I go to my account and find that my original article is un-featured. Very sad. So I fix it up and to get it featured again and start wondering what Google will think. Will Google realize I wrote it first and give it a "lift" beating those who copied mine, or will it just stack my re-featured articles behind?

Also, wondering if anything can be done for those who astutely copy articles using different words to defeat plagiarism tools without the decency of putting a link to the original source? Last week found a website and contacted directly, asking at least for a link back to my original to be laced under list of references, and the website owner apologized and gave me a link, but still, not nice that her article is ranking higher than mine. It looks like DMCA's get rejected unless they are copied word by word.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you can even find one sentence or image that is an exact duplicate and can prove your publication date, you can file a DMCA and get the article removed.  If it does not get removed, you can then file a complaint with Google and give them the same info.  Articles that are "spun" are difficult to take down, however, and unfortunately, you are writing in a highly saturated arena.  I wish people would behave decently about things like this, but obviously many do not.  Good luck.

alexadryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the helpful tips Timetraveler2. I will try to file and hopefully will work.

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

You article retains its original published date, so in theory it should be seen as the original by search engines. As to whether or not they will actually sort that out, that's another question. They should, but they may not, or it may take a while.

It also depends on who has copied your work. Large, authority sites will be much tougher to unseat than crummy spam sites. On the bright side, reputable sites are more likely to remove your work if you send them a friendly email. I would never ask for a link, just for them to remove it.

By my experience,  how long it has been out of the search results also seems to play a role in how hard it will be to climb back up. This is one of the reasons it is important to stay on top of un-featured Hubs and get them back in business ASAP. I know it has to be tough with 1200+ Hubs, but a quick sort will show you which ones are in need of attention.

There is always a lag between when HP slaps a noindex tag on your Hub and when crawlers come around and actually see that it should be de-indexed. It's typically a few days at the least, sometimes weeks. If you get your Hub featured again in that time search engines will never know about the noindex and you won't lose your place in the SERP.

As for the DMCA thing, if another article is very obviously similar to yours it should still be protected. I don't know the specifics of your experiences there, but I've not had trouble getting pages taken down when they were partial or really close copies of my work.

alexadryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello Eric, thanks for your insight on this. I appreciate your help. Have you had success filing Google DMCA with articles that were re-worded? I haven't had much success in that. When copied exactly word from word no problem, but I tried a couple that were reworded and were obvious copies of mine and they were rejected without explanation.

1. EricDockett profile image97
        EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't know that I've ever had them reject without reason. Sometimes they come back and ask for more info. In the space where it asks you to explain how your copyright has been violated perhaps state that your article has been spun or reworded. Maybe that will make it more clear to them what has happened. (?)

I usually only go to Google when I have no other recourse, and that's typically spam sites.

I also try to keep my Hubs updated on a regular basis, and I've found that helps in staying a step ahead of the low-class jerks who copy our content. I only have a little over 300 total Hubs, so I know that has to be tough with over 1200.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)