Where's your concentration right now? Reworking or writing new hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. claptona profile image69
    claptonaposted 7 years ago

I'm thinking new hubs get looked at right away by the moderators.
    Whereas the reworked hubs will sit until a moderator stumbles upon them.
    Or does the reworked hub get a priority over the "featured" hubs not yet on the niche sites.
    Sems the niche sites are the place to get too, not just a featured hub sitting around hubpages.
    Or do you think featured should do just as well as a hub on the niche sites?
    Just trying to understand and figure it out.
    Thanks for any insight.
    Cheers

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've been writing a few new hubs of late having been encouraged by rising views. The new ones tend to be 'niched' within a few days which is an incentive to write more I must say. But I also try to edit older hubs, the ones that linger like old fogeys on a street corner, no particular place to go. I smarten up text capsules, get rid of inappropriate amazon capsules, chop and change and so on. It's an ongoing process. The trick is to keep learning and not give in.

claptonaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thx Chef,
        Everyone seems to be doing both - re-editing and writing new.
        I guess as you write and get positive feed back on the new, the old ones appear to be wanting once you've learned what the moderators find "acceptable".
        Thanks for your input.
        Cheers
        John

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point.  If you don't yet have a really good handle on what the niche sites want, there's really no point in trying to update your Hubs.

Once you've had a few new ones accepted and know what they're looking for, you can go back and rework your old Hubs to meet that standard.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As far as I can tell, updating a hub does nothing for moving the hub to a niche site. The one exception would be if you got a significant uptick in traffic. My only hope for my old hubs that I know are good is to submit them myself, every 60 days.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not at all - I just had one of my old Hubs moved after I updated it, and it didn't have time to get an uptick in traffic. 

I think it's the luck of the draw, really.   I don't know what system the moderators are using to choose from the older Hubs:  Christy did mention that traffic was still a factor, but also that they're trying to fill gaps in some subject areas of the niche sites.  So if you can update a Hub that would fill one of those gaps, it would have a chance of being picked up.

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I've always divided my time between creating new content and updating old. Even old content moved to niche sites needs to be freshened up now and then.

The niche sites are where you want to be, and I believe all new Hubs are considered when they are published. Hubs left on HubPages generally will not do as well, though I have a couple on another account that are plodding along nicely but for some reason haven't been moved to a niche site yet.

As for how and when they are choosing updated Hubs to move, I have yet to crack the code. Sometimes I update old Hubs and they get moved right over. Sometimes I make updates and think, "Wait til those curators get a load of the the awesome job I did here!" and my Hub gets ignored. Sometimes my updated Hubs get ignored for a while and then moved when I least expect it. Those sneaky curators!

The bottom line is, whether you are creating new content or updating existing Hubs, do your best to get them up to the niche site standards. That is the way forward.

claptonaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info, Eric
      This stuff puzzles me.
      Answers like yours help me understand a bit better.
      Thx,
      John

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Lately I haven't had time to do much of either - write new ones or update! My last new Hub was more than a month ago. sad

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

My view - the niche sites are the future of HubPages.  A Featured Hub on HubPages may do just as well in the short term, but I think the main site will gradually go downhill as all the best Hubs are moved out.

New Hubs get considered as soon as they're written.

When you update an old Hub, it doesn't seem to go through the same process and I guess I can see why:  how could the system possibly decide whether you've done a small edit or a major overhaul? The mods don't want to be looking at old Hubs every time someone changes two words, they're swamped enough already.

So it seems a no-brainer to concentrate on writing new Hubs. 

Having said that, we know the moderators are going through old Hubs looking for candidates, so it doesn't hurt to have your old Hubs upgraded to niche site standard.   The thing is, you only have to update an old Hub ONCE, people who keep tittivating again and again are just wasting their time.  Sit down, go through the Hub and make sure it's the best it can be, then let it lie.  You can check the search results sometimes to see if you can improve your keywords, but that's the only thing you need to do.

5. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 7 years ago

I try to work a little on reworking old hubs which I save in a word file until I'm ready to update one and more on new hubs.  Does it change when reworked hubs are looked at if you unpublish them when you change them rather than just edit them without unpublishing them?  I try to keep working on hubs that drop below a score of 80.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think they want new hubs now, and intend to make new niches later for topics not covered by the new niches.

I write in groups of 12, astrology, and 9 of my 12 are on niche sites. In a case like that, I'm trying to make the 3 left behind more interesting. I don't like the series split up, though I know the admin doesn't consider them series.

I had to beg to get my Donald Trump hub moved to the same niche as my Hillary one, and in this crazy election season in the U.S. Sometimes you have to nag them when they are making a stupid mistake, in this case, being election time and these two are running against each other, I didn't think I should have to ask. They were both better quality hubs than a lot of stuff I read on here, and I don't have a hub with under an 80 score.

I've had hubs with very little traffic moved too, though they were a group I revised almost completely from what they were.

6. profile image51
    CharmaineCalhoonposted 7 years ago

Writing..!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)