Why WHO Scare Everyone About this influnza or Swine Flue?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image57
    Lgaliposted 15 years ago

Why WHO Scare Everyone About this influnza or Swine Flue?

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Hi Lgali, I think it is a concern since there are some people with existing conditions (asthma, heart, organ transplant) that would have a hard time fighting the flu. hmm their immune systems are already suppressed due to their medications. Does that help?

1. Lgali profile image57
      Lgaliposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I understand the concern about people with those condition but the way the treating this like Spanish flu is not right

3. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

They have to make people aware of this flu, so that people can be prepared and fight against any unnecessary symptoms, it is a requirement of the public health agencies to keep everyone informed about the dangers of any outbreaks as well.

1. Lgali profile image57

this still A FLUE NOT pendemic

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

They obviously have their own agenda. To throw a wild guess about this agenda - they probably are getting a big financial cut because of the crisis, so they are trying to prove their usefulness and squeeze a few more million bucks or euros from member governments...

1. Lgali profile image57

you are right financial cut is the main reason ...

5. Dame Scribe profile image57

Gov'ts are responsible for the people and do their best to protect them...it includes having their Health department relay to the people that care must be taken. They provide help and education to protect the people as best they can. It is the choice in the end, if the person chooses to listen or not. It's not giving orders or anything. smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Cm'n Dame, gimme a break, are you really still THAT naive? smile

6. Dame Scribe profile image57

Uhmm....I'm NA, Misha wink the gov't and NA's have issues ...but I still like to believe that they do their best to ...care for the people, lol but I know I shouldn't believe everything tongue lol

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL OK, this still seems like an irrational belief to me smile

At least you have some issues with gov't, and trust me, I am not NA, but I have quite a few issues with them tongue

8. Dame Scribe profile image57

Well, the gov'ts do have $$ issues after that bail out stuff n got drum up more $$ , I guess lol

9. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

The biggest thing is...

...who cares about the economy when we're sick? wink

And now you know. But don't worry, they pull crap like this all the time.

Also, if they didn't make a big deal, and people started like really dying en mass ohhhh boy would there be lawsuits.

G|M

(EDIT)
    I mean, more lawsuits than people are already planning. We are talking about America, too, after all.

1. Lgali profile image57

this will create problem in future if real pandemic happens nobody will believe

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

Don't people 'jump on a lawsuit wagon for $$' jus for the opportunity of gettin $$..isnt that sorta ... normal? tongue lol

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Normal for America, but considered insane by the rest of the World tongue

12. Dame Scribe profile image57

Jus not enough $$ for the greed tongue that's for sure, lol lol

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL smile

14. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I think Misha is right.
         Now, they are talking abut flu parties. That is what I want. to get the flu now rather then when it comes back in the fall and winter and really packs a wallop. but of course, those in power say that's a bad idea. but they have to say that because of the lawsuits.
         And, people get the flu every year and plenty die and while that is very sad, there is no sense in panic.

1. Lgali profile image57
      Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no panic all this for good budget

15. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

The 1918 flu epidemic that killed more people than all the world wars combined started as a mild wave of a new variant of influenza that hit in the spring. It came back in the fall evolved as a much more virulent form, the killer one.

I'm not saying this will happen, I'm just saying they're not just trying to panic people for no reason. There is a reason.

I hope nothing comes of it.

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right on the money Pam. This is one to watch, and they know it. If this flu starts mutating....well....we just won't know till it happens, will we?

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. And it's especially troublesome that it includes bits of bird flu, which has a death rate of over 80%. So it contains genetic pieces of a flu that we know is lethal, and anything can happen with viruses. Scientists know this, but sadly, many Americans now prefer to read bibles and argue about evolution, and people who aren't doing THAT don't trust government anymore--they really are sick of all the false alarms and big scare tactics, so now, when a real menace emerges, people probably won't listen at all. You can't blame them, but it's scary.

Not to mention lots of people are uninsured and won't seek help if they do get sick because they can't afford it. So that will help any new disease spread too.

Let's hope nothing comes of it all.

It's not like there's a lot any of us can do right this minute anyway.

2. Lgali profile image57

i also hope nothing like that happen

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Aaaa, fear mongers smile I was expecting you my dear ladies smile

Pam, how does your post answer the title question? wink

To tell you the truth though, I do expect some kind of pandemic going along with this crisis, but now (and in the summer) is quite a bit too early I think. Crisis should go way deeper, so the vast majority of people do overextend their systems to stress and serious malnutrition - this will set up a stage for pandemics to happen. Frankly I don't expect this earlier than the next year...

1. profile image0

??? It answers the title question by saying I don't think it's just a 'scare', it's a real threat. In fact, what you say here kinda indicates we might accidentally agree on something again.

It isn't severe now but it has the potential to be really bad because of the bits and pieces the virus is made from and because viruses mutate. So it's not just a 'scare'. I mean, being scared is optional, really. If you think about it, there's not a lot we can do except eat well, exercise, build our immune systems like you say (which hardly anyone does).

I just think too that there are too many people crowded too close together doing foolish unhealthy things, and whenever animals get like that, nature sends disease to thin out the pack. So I think we're kind of at risk for some bad bug.

17. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I think it is just a way of diverting people's attention. 

I am with Misha in this one... sorry but I don't believe in good intentions sad

1. Lgali profile image57

I am with misha too

18. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

There a few with medical backgrounds...me included...that know the what where who n why of disease ...and why its such a concern...and denial of illness as *just a flu* isn't good for anybody..it should be taken with a grain of seriousness because ...as I and others have said many a times tongue virus's mutate. They become something else and may become ....drug resistant tongue then nothing can help you or us and if that becomes contagious...well..need I say more. hmm

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hey Dame, trying to steer us off-top, aren't you? wink

20. Dame Scribe profile image57

lol Misha, hey you cutey you. No, I just don't think it's something that should be poo-poo'd as something light and silly tongue lol...n I am concerned bout it too. I get sick in spring or summer and it's horrible...worse than any other time for me...n those seasons are comin up n am sure that I am not the only one hmm those *flu parties* are awful yikes omg...they use pay for *pox* rubs long time ago, lol

21. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK Dame, I hear about those parties on this thread for the first time, so I don't have any opinion on them yet.

But I do take quite a few issues with the current mainstream medicine, and especially its government or government dependent institutions, let alone mass media. Thinking for myself, watching my body and my close relatives, and making my own conclusions seem to serve me better so far smile

22. Dame Scribe profile image57

Yes, Misha. We can take our own precautions..very true... we do know what works for our own bodies..and admit to when we need more medical help.. that choice will always be ours. smile

23. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Well, this was an attempt to push your buttons smile

Yes, we do agree that this sort of event will happen, yet we do disagree on timing, and I maintain that premature fear mongering will lead to more people ignoring real danger alerts, and thus worsen the situation when time comes...

1. profile image0

Misha, it is so easy to push my buttons, how can this possibly still be fun for you? big_smile

Well, I admit I'm getting a little tired of the weekly catastrophe myself. What next? Plagues of locusts?

It's getting a little ridiculous. I mean, at some point I just throw up my hands and say fine, eat me then.

lol

24. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Its all down to stats, in the UK papers today it said 1 in 3 will get the swine flu. In Nov last year about 70 per cent of my work caught the flu so the ordinary flu was just as high. It also said it could kill 40 million people but 20 million die from the common flu every year. Fact is the 1st victim of swine flu a mexican boy is now fit and fully recovered. I feel it will be no more dangerous than any other flu, but if I die of the swine flu please feel free to call me a fool.

1. profile image0

What's really scary is I've read that 99 out of 100 will of us will die of something before we hit 110. I mean Jesus, you just can't win...

smile

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean that 1 percent of the population is over 110, I refuse to believe that lol.

1. profile image0

Yeah, now that you mention it, it might be higher...especially if you go by how old a person FEELS.

25. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Shit then I am in the 1 percent, thanks for cheering me up ( :

1. Lgali profile image57
      1. Lgali profile image57

so we are still fine not much scare

26. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The alert is necessary any time a unknown strain appears.  The response to the alert was excellent and it contained this outbreak.  This was the easy one; the real challenge will be if it returns in the fall.  As with most preventitive measures; if they work then people think it was a waste of time.  The alert would have seemed more justified if more people got sick or died but I think I like it better this way.

1. Lgali profile image57

so more alert is good in future people will not take serious as this was not pendemic

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)