Niume

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (53 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 6 years ago

Received this yesterday.

Due to the growing costs of running the platform and decreasing revenues in the advertising industry we won’t be able to continue rewarding you for the traffic you bring to the platform and will stop paying Niume creators for views after the end of this month.

Guess it was only a matter of time!

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@sallybea,
      What is Niume and why wasn't I told?

sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is a writing platform similar to HubPages.  I guess a few of us wrote there too.  You would only have been told if you write there as well.

@ smile sallybea, thanks so much. You and All of My Sweet Followers, Have a Safe and Somber Memorial Day.

Thanks, Kenneth.

@sallybea, you are welcome. Now let me share another thread that I have just read about "Editor's Choice" is going to be discarded.
              A hubber, EricDockett elaborated on this comment and told whomever that the EC was nothing more than a pat on the back, to which I replied, "I have never, in my six years of hard work and research, ever had an EC."
              So this leads me to believe that "I" must have been tagged by HP as only a source of comic relief.
              What an idiot I have been.

I had several Editors Choice 'Awards' over the years and was pleased to receive them at the time but I would not take that personally.  There were also a lot of complaints about the hubs chosen for an award.  I do feel however that there is little incentive to write anything at the moment and a competition might be just the spark needed especially if there is a financial reward at the end.

@smile sallybea, I applaud you for your work on HP and as for taking my comment personal, honestly, it is tough not to feel "up" about writing for HP when Niume combined with EC, it does get tough to stay positive.
                  I have at least two new hubs that I published now a week ago and NO comments or anything.
                  Not blaming you or HP. Just myself for something that I wish I knew how to solve.

You are not alone Kenneth.  I decided to take a back seat when earnings plummeted to one-fifth of what they were previously.

2. EricDockett profile image97
                EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth, that's not remotely close to what I said in the other thread. I said the EC program was a way for HP to choose (in their opinion) quality Hubs to move to the main domain, thereby strengthening the main HP domain and hopefully improving traffic for everyone.

It was originally packaged as a "pat on the back" but the full story was more complex.

I also said that I (and many others) opted out of those pats on the back because we were more concerned about the health of our subdomains.

In any event, it has been gone for a while and it really doesn't matter. The main focus for everyone right now should be creating (or editing) Hubs so they can be moved to the niche sites.

Kenneth, I think it is amazing that you have published 1,300 hubs. However, if you are looking for recognition from HP editors you might be better off slowing things down and taking a hard look at the kind of content you are producing. Being prolific and even being a good writer will not necessarily mean you are going to do well. You need to understand what types of content bring traffic, and how to construct an article that ranks well in search.

You are certainly not an idiot, and you are not a bad writer. But I think if you can spend some time studying the business of online writing and applying that to your Hubs you might be happier with your results.

@Eric, thanks. Sincerely. I am in the process (now) of taking a needed-break and I am going to enjoy studying and researching. You and your many followers do well and go in peace.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would second what Eric has said, Kenneth.   Take his advice seriously and act on it, and you will stand a much better chance of achieving the success you desire.

3. lovebuglena profile image85
                lovebuglenaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I had eleven EC hubs... In a way it was sort of an honor to get that many, but on the other hand, it didn't really help me in terms of earnings or views I don't think. Like I don't think those hubs got more views because they were EC hubs. And I didn't like when EC was discontinued. It felt like I'd been given an award only to have it taken away from me soon after.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

It was a writing site like Bubblews.  Most Hubbers took one look at it and could see that it would fail, so we didn't talk about it much.   A few people did try it and got hooked on it, which has turned out to be unwise - so you were one of the lucky ones to miss out!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Bubblews 2.0: The Revenge smile

3. melissae1963 profile image68
    melissae1963posted 6 years ago

I have not gotten an email like that (yet).

4. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I saw that in my email also.  I signed up a couple of months back after reading about it here but figured the writing was already on the wall when I did, so I never actually wrote anything there.  I learned that lesson with Bubblews when they tanked.  I feel bad for those who depend on sites like those for money and then it gets taken away with little to no warning like that.

Yes, I have a little balance there but to be honest I lost interest with the site and doubt that I will ever receive the outstanding balance anyway.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image91
        Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I did some stuff there but was put off by the 1 dollar per thousand CPM rate..so I focused efforts here at HP. Niume is still alive, they are claiming to be working on some different earning platforms for the future blah blah blah so on and so forth..

+++

2. eugbug profile image96
          eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Meanwhile they keep the revenue earned by those who haven't reached the threshold for payout!

No doubt, the same as Bubblews did.

1. AloBeDa profile image93
              AloBeDaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, just like Bubblews did.

3. lovebuglena profile image85

The $1 for 1000 views is super low for sure, but better than earning nothing. I wanted to try Niume out and thought I would not have a problem getting to $10 and that it wouldn't take me a short time to get to it... That was not the case unfortunately. I haven't gotten my first $10 yet, and I've been there since 2016 I think. And most of the earnings in my wallet are actually from four referrals and from me joining through a referral link. The earnings from views are super low.

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I knew this would happen a month ago when I checked out Nuime's sitemap file and discovered that they never gave search engines any reference to their articles, which is why so few posts got indexed.

After all, they always said their focus was on social media sharing, not search traffic. However, that doesn't help get organic traffic, which is why very little revenue came in.

It's unacceptable, in my opinion, to expect people to continue writing on a platform with all income going only to the site owners. But then again, writers were willing to post for free on Bubblews long after they stopped paying.

As for me, I'd rather get paid for my efforts, as I do on HubPages.

I agree, just wish earnings had returned to the previous levels,

2. lovebuglena profile image85

I felt something was up when they had the Support Creator feature where people could donate money to a writer...

6. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 6 years ago

I actually liked Niume, but not for any hopes of making lots of money there. I am also a YouTuber, and it was a way to share my videos along with a couple of well though out posts on Southern California travel. A couple of posts I created there helped my videos get views, and for that is was useful.

7. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

I lost interest in further writing for Niume a few months ago.  Just got tired of all the low-quality posts and such.  Been trying to delete some of my posts.  Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Audrey, you can delete your Niume posts by clicking the icon that looks like three dots (...) near the top of the post, and it will open a pull-down menu with more options. One of the options is "delete".

Make sure you have a copy saved in case you want to use them somewhere else. Niume offers an option to download all your posts. Go to settings > Profile Info >  then scroll down to "Data Download" at the bottom.

1. vocalcoach profile image94
        vocalcoachposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Glenn.  You always come to my rescue smile

You're very welcome Audrey. Always glad to help. I just happened to know the answer because I became curious with what people were saying about Niume, and so I signed up to find out. I quickly realized they were doomed based on the poor programming that didn't make it easy for Google to index their posts. I wrote about that over a month ago. That post is still there.

1. vocalcoach profile image94
            vocalcoachposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'll check out your post.  I'm eager to get your view on Niume.  Thanks again.

Just search for my name and you'll find it. I left three posts there, all about Niume.

8. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 6 years ago

I saw it coming a few months ago when Niume put Donation button on the right side of the page. I didn`t like that. Then I backed up my posts in my Documents and was not writing much there anymore. So I was not surprised that Niume is down the drain now.

1. lovebuglena profile image85

I wonder if the views will go up for everyone now that Niume has discontinued its Revenue system.

9. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

Would be nice to know how Hubpages is doing and if there are any signs that they might be in trouble. The niche sites should offer a lot of protection though.

It would be nice to know how they are doing.  My own stats tell me that things could be a lot better.  I think we need some incentive to write more here.

10. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 6 years ago

I haven't gotten an email from there telling me they will stop paying writers. I found out about it from their post someone shared on FB. I wonder why I never received that email.

They have a Facebook group too. I knew it was trouble when people were complaining about not being paid.

11. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

HubPages is doing well. Our strategy is simple. Satisfy Google and help authors with services that care for and improve their content over time. Lots of plans in the works to help authors with improved incremental content. 

We've been at this a long time and we've evolved into a fairly unique service that over the last year has grown organic search traffic substantially.

Kind of hard to be motivated at Niume when I can earn at least 3 times the revenue here, and that's even if CPM is a little on the low side so I definitely focused efforts here at home. I will give then credit, their mobile site actually is pretty decent, but Hubpages is better in every regard. The upstarts there are UK based, I saw a video it's three guys in their early twenties, so you know they don't have the experience with this..they might have been on Playschool computers still when Hubpages rolled out.

2. sallybea profile image96

Good to hear that HubPages are doing well.  Regular updates on how things are going might be just the incentive for people to write more.

3. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am glad Hubpages is doing well. Thanks for your hard work  to improve our site. Well done.

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

One of the important things to remember is to not get too down or two up. We know that traffic can swing. We work hard to improve the content and the site over an extended period of time, and to adapt to the current environment with the hope we will all be rewarded for years to come. 

We know that there are other sites that share revenue, but I'm not aware of others that have a similar approach as HP does. 

Even though we've been at it since 2006, a huge amount of what we do is actually pretty new. We are constantly innovating and working on the service. Tons of stuff went live last week to help us maintain the sites.

I'm very positive about the future.

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Paul. The hard work and innovation are paying off.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Nowadays, the huge point of difference between HubPages and other revenue-sharing operations is the vertical sites. 

Frankly I was surprised to see Niume starting up a generalist revenue-sharing site.   A small amount of research would have shown them that model (which used to work so well) is outdated.  The few surviving sites which have persevered with that model - e.g. Infobarrel, Wizzley - are earning at levels far below HubPages.  The way to succeed on the internet now is to have focus, which is what the niche sites provide.

I would be curious, though, to know which of the vertical sites are doing well and which are not. I have always felt that some of the subject groupings are highly debatable (performing arts, for instance, sticks out like a sore thumb on HobbyLark, surrounded by games of all descriptions), and I worry that affects how Google views the site.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is now almost double what it was, when compared to the nadir of March. Mostly that is dengarden (partly seasonal, perhaps) but I can see upticks on Owlcation, and every other niche where I have a  page.

So I am pretty happy.

The thing to worry about with a big traffic increase is page quality. If pages are not good enough to warrant the authority/views, Google has a motive to push you down.

My best pages are ranking for all kinds of secondary keywords just now. Hope the user metrics stay positive.

2. kenneth avery profile image79

@ smile Marisa, I took your advice and now editing/finishing up a hub that is NOT in First Person style--(e.g. print writers, columnists). I am doing a research hub, with true serious note about Old West Saloon Tourist Attractions and NO mention of anyone at HP, but at the bottom I have links to where readers (not just my followers) can read and get an education about a tourist attraction about an off-the-beaten path.
        I am though trying to fix a Google Search friendly headline that will get more traction.
        Thanks for your help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Good luck with it.

@Marisa smile thanks and since we first commented, I went in and re-edited and added additional facts that readers should appreciate. I think with the photos that I may be finished. I hate having something overdone.

3. sallybea profile image96

Thanks, Paul, am delighted to hear it.  Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear.  Makes me feel much more inclined to write another hub:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)