jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

I would like someone to look at my article.

1. Ivan Hernandez profile image93
    Ivan Hernandezposted 5 months ago

The article in question is right over there
    https://healdove.com/disabilities/Thefivesignsofautism
    How do I make my article better?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image98
      Sherry Hewinsposted 5 months agoin reply to this

I think your article looks very good. Instead of focusing all of your attention on this article, perhaps you should write another one. As you can see by looking at who responded to your poll, most people who are searching for this are people with autism, or parents of autistic kids. So, that's your target audience.

They are looking for useful information, help and advice. Do you know about any programs for young adults with autism, or children with autism? Can you tell parents how to help their kids do better in school, or how to interact with their peers more successfully?

What if their kid is having a meltdown, do you have any clues on how they might calm him? How about tips for traveling with an autistic kid, or helping him cope with moving or changing schools?

What about young adults like yourself? What advice do you have for them about things like living independently, employment, dating?

You have a unique perspective, and you are in a position to help a lot of people. That can be a very satisfying part of writing, even beyond any money you might make.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image100
      Jesse Drzalposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Great advice.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image100
    Jesse Drzalposted 5 months ago

I see you started breaking up those long blocky paragraphs. Looks WAY better, very readable and more engaging. Great job with that. The poll kind of hard to read and condense. If anything I would trim that back a little..not that big of a deal though. That's all I could really see.

3. Dolores Monet profile image99
    Dolores Monetposted 5 months ago

Hi Ivan - I really enjoyed reading your article. You certainly have improved! The standard concept on hubpages is to avoid the personal and to create an article that is more like an informative magazine article. Many feel that anything to do with a health related topic is best left to professionals. I have spent a lot of time looking for information about a specific topic pertaining to a health concern and found nothing but professional medical facts. At the time, I would love to have read something with personal insight by a real insider.

You certainly are working hard on your writing and your attempts to find your voice here. Your relentless questions show your determination and reflect your ability to grow and adapt.

4. Carola Finch profile image98
    Carola Finchposted 5 months ago

Dolores and Ian, I do not agree that HubPages' concept is to "avoid the personal."  I use a personal perspective all the time to establish my credibility on the topic at the beginning of an article to draw the writer in, and I have numerous hubs on niche sites (including some on autism).

Ivan, there are a few sentences that be reworded in order to be more clear.  I suggest that you put your description of yourself as a person with autism at the beginning of the article to establish your credibility on the topic and refer to at least three credible sources to back up your statements.  You can use websites such as Autism Speaks, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).  You must be able to backup the facts you state with credible references if you want to be published.  Good luck.

5. Dolores Monet profile image99
    Dolores Monetposted 5 months ago

Hi Carola - me, I like articles and blogs that offer a personal perspective on almost any topic. But there are personal views that just don't work here and may be inappropriate for this site and more suitable for a blog. For instance, Ivan's article on his views of African Americans does not, in my opinion, add value to HP.

1. Ivan Hernandez profile image93
      Ivan Hernandezposted 5 months agoin reply to this

you're saying that I should delete my african american article?

1. theraggededge profile image100
        theraggededgeposted 5 months agoin reply to this

No. Don't delete it. Keep working on it, whenever you feel like it.

6. Terrielynn1 profile image94
    Terrielynn1posted 5 months ago

Congrats, I see it's on a niche site now. well done.

working