I'd like feedback on my article: Quaker Parrots Amazing Pets

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Susan Sears profile image91
    Susan Searsposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Quaker Parrots Amazing Pets (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Jeremy Gill profile image93
      Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Susan, here are my suggestions:

1) Watch grammar. In particular, use more commas.
      2) Bold the subheadings in the "Bringing your Quaker Parrot Home" section.
      3) In the text of the paragraph "Feeding Your Quaker" you immediately repeat the same words, "Feeding Your Quaker"; remove this repetition.
      4) Be aware that HubPages is soon automatically changing all half-width capsules to full-width, so you might want to manually change your half-width capsules and make adjustments if necessary.

Best of luck.

Susan Searsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the advice, Jeremy, I will make the changes you suggested.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Jeremy, but there are deeper problems.

You introductory paragraphs do not need subtitles.
      You are missing a summary.
      You repeat key words and terms far too often.
      Also, I see nothing in this piece that tells me you own this type of parrot or have any personal experience with it.
      Your capsules and sentences are far too long which means you would lose a reader quickly.
      You need more capsules with more appropriate subtitles.
      Your photos are not captioned, nor do they carry correct accreditation.

Frankly, to me, this looks like an article that was mostly spun from info you found elsewhere on the net.  Writing on HP must be original.  An article about your own pet parrot and what you have learned from owning him would be much more appropriate.

If you see that your article is mostly info that can be found elsewhere on the net, it's likely you'll never get it featured.

Sorry, but it's better for you to understand what is required here than to let you keep banging your head against the wall.

Timetraveler,
        Some of the information is things that I have discovered in various places and on the web over the last 20 years of owning Quaker Parrots. I guess the only picture I accredited was the one that was not my own picture. I will be making changes to make it more my personal story-experience with the birds I have owned. I must not have made it personal enough - I thought the statement like my parrot, or Levi, my bird enjoys ....was making it clear that I owned a Quaker.I  will be looking closer at my article and be implementing some of the changes you suggested.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

With online writing, you cannot assume anything.  People rarely read every word but often skim the capsule subtitles, which is one of the reasons you should use them.

If you have a lot of experience with these parrots, this topic would create a good niche site for you, but you have to use your own experiences and expertise when you write them.

Adding stories to the facts makes them much more interesting for readers and lets them know that you know what you're doing...this gives you credibility and makes your writing unique.

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it if you keep practicing, and in time, all of this will come easy.

Yes, this type of writing was different for me - my 1st 4 hubs were featured and moved to niche sites right away but they were a different type of writing. Writing this hub has been more challenging which is good for me...I am  learning

3. Marketing Merit profile image93
      Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with TT2. The first thing I noticed was the overuse if the word Quaker. In addition, you have a link at the bottom of your hub which is not really necessary. I would be inclined to remove this.
      Hope this helps!

I am not sure how I would not use Quaker since that is what I am writing about - would if I took that word out the reader have to assume? Also which link - I think you sre looking at the food? That is the food that I tell readers that I feed my parrot Levi? Let me know if that is what you are referring to.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

There are several terms you can use to substitute for "Quaker Parrot"...for example

bird,
          pet,
          Levi,
          My little friend,
          species,
          companion

You have to think outside the box in situations like this.

2. Marketing Merit profile image93
          Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

TT2 has already provided a list of alternatives. Also, you could just drop the word Quaker and use parrot on its own. Yes, that's the link that I am referring to. Not sure that you will get that approved, but by all means, try it.
          Good luck!

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A few points in no particular order:

1.  Do not put a heading on photos or Amazon capsules or videos (leave it blank).   For photos, add a caption instead.

2. Delete the poll.  It's not really relevant.  Don't feel pressured to include a poll - it's just a suggestion.  Only include one if you can think of a good question to ask.

3.  I'd recommend switching one of the Amazon capsules to an Amazon link instead.  Probably the second one (to do that, click on the chain icon to create a hyperlink as normal, then in the box that pops up, look for the Amazon tab).

I recommend you read my Hub on How to Optimise Your Hubs (you'll find it on the slider on my profile), especially the section on introductions.  You need to turn your thinking upside down!   Currently you've got a general intro to the parrot, and then you move to the specifics of caring for one.   You need to move the general stuff to the end.

Thank you Marisa I will look at your article and see if I can figure out the Amazon link ...I have not tried that yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)