jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

What is a CPM?

1. JoannaBlackburn profile image81
    JoannaBlackburnposted 2 months ago

I have been wondering around this site trying to find information about the earnings page.  Where do I go to find out about the abbreviations used in the reports?

1. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 2 months agoin reply to this

CPM is how much you earn per thousand views. I don't know if there is any kind of tutorial on how to read the earnings reports here.

2. Ryan Cornelius profile image68
      Ryan Corneliusposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Like you I been wondering around since I signed. I found what I needed just by doing that but I too did it outside of this site. That helped me to find what I was looking for

3. promisem profile image94
      promisemposted 2 months agoin reply to this

CPM is Cost per Thousand Impressions. Impressions are page impressions.

CPM is actually an advertiser term because the ads are a cost to the advertiser. The publisher version is RPM or Revenue per Thousand Impressions, but CPM is a more common term for both advertisers and publishers.

1. Ryan Cornelius profile image68
        Ryan Corneliusposted 2 months agoin reply to this

So before you are compensated you need 1000  clicks?

No, Say you make $3 for a thousand views. This means if you get 100 views, you'd get 30 cents; if my math is correct. CPM is just an average.

Also, I think it's important to know the difference between clicks and views; clicks are when  someone clicks on an ad; this is important for Adsense because they mostly pay for clicks, what is called CPC - cost per click. The Hubpages Program pays per impression, or view; meaning someone views an ad; that's what CPM is; it is when someone is on your page and sees an ad.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months agoin reply to this

It's also important to note that advertisers bid to see how much they'll have to pay to list an ad on anybody's site.  The higher the winning bid, the more the writer makes on views.

Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that too.

2. JoannaBlackburn profile image81
    JoannaBlackburnposted 2 months ago

Thank you all for helping me with understanding about the earnings page.  I think I get it know.

working