jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Advice For A Confused Non-Modern Girl (Technology/Laptop Disposal)

1. shon1121 profile image76
    shon1121posted 3 weeks ago

I tend to keep hold of things.  I am without a car and live in the UK.  I often find contrasting info by simply "googling it", this creates more confusion.  What would Hubbers suggest as the best method to get rid of three old laptops no longer used?

Could use the cash (one beyond repair and the other two ancient) but it is not the most important thing, they are just sat in my wardrobe.  Parts are worth more than the laptops themselves!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

You won't get any money for them, Shon. I'd suggest putting them on Freegle. Some people recycle/renovate them for a hobby and charity.

I have one or two here, but am reluctant to let them go until I get the hard drives out and destroy them. I have writing, artwork, family photos, and possibly passwords on them, so don't want them going just anywhere.

shon1121posted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

That has been my concern.  I would rather have someone i know make use of them.  I am quite careful with passwords and so on but many more people know their way about a computer better than I thats for sure!

Thanks so much for that

2. Glenis Rix profile image86
        Glenis Rixposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

They are not likely to have a resale value. I suggest that you restore them to factory settings, making sure all personal data has been removed, and then donate them to a charity or a training scheme that renovates old computers. Alternatively, remove the hard drives, destroy, and put them in the refuse bin.

2. Marketing Merit profile image87
      Marketing Meritposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

The first thing I would do is to remove the hard drive and keep hold of that. Depending on your laptop, this may be easy to do or more advanced.
      Check out eBay as some old laptops have scrap value for parts. For example, you will find sellers who will strip them down and sell everything from the monitor to the individual keys.
      If it has no second hand value, then I would be inclined to donate it, as Bev suggested, but first ensure you remove all personal data and try and clean/defragment the disk without removing the operating system.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

The best thing to do is to take them to a small business that sells computers, etc. and ask them to please destroy the hard drive.  They may keep the computers for parts, but will know how to dispose of whatever is left.

Where I live, you can also take computers to a designated site and turn them in.  They will destroy them safely.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

I like to take old computers and install Linux on them. It gives them a whole new life.

5. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

There are people that recycle the metal from old computers. Small amounts of gold are even used in them, but it takes a lot of work and knowledge to remove it. Restore them to factory settings and you might get a little money for them even.

2. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 3 weeks ago

Remove the hard drivee and take old ones to the recycling center for electronics. If you think they are worth anything then take them to referbished. There are companys that repair and resell them. It depends on the area you live in.

3. fer-nie profile image82
    fer-nieposted 3 weeks ago

I mean, if money really isn't a concern, you could try donating them to college students or a local nonprofit robotics organization for kids or something.

I know it's pretty popular online to sell things, especially on ebay, and name them 'for parts only'.

Good luck.

4. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 3 weeks ago

The main thing is to remove the hard drive before you give them to ANYBODY.

5. shon1121 profile image76
    shon1121posted 3 weeks ago

That is all so very helpful thanks to everyone.  Wanting to clear my feet a little at home, not much storage space!

6. Martha Bern profile image61
    Martha Bernposted 3 weeks ago

Well, even though, your old laptops are not used anymore, you don't have to throw them away. Why don't you offer them to people, who repair laptops? Maybe, they will need any repair parts? This is, of course, if you don't plan to use them anymore and need to figure out something to get rid of them.

7. thehands profile image85
    thehandsposted 3 weeks ago

My suggestion: Wipe the hard drives of the laptops with a tool that scrambles data (or just remove the hard drives) and give them to someone who knows how to make the most of an old laptop.

When I was younger and substantially poorer, someone gave me an old laptop that they didn't need and I refurbished it and it served me for years. In fact, I started my first online business from that laptop, so even small things like that can make someone's life better.

8. helenstuart profile image80
    helenstuartposted 3 weeks ago

I totally agree with the hands. Even though I am married, I am still "borrowing" my husbands desktop and he lets me remember it now and again. That has a way to creep into freedom of expression. I had a very small laptop a few years ago but it really  didn't seem small to me. Just one wire needing a better attachment is all that is keeping it from being a window to the world, the possibility of a small business, or just excercising the right to get my small voice heard in the big world without recusing myself because I am using someone else's stuff.

shon1121posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Oh yes so very true helenstuart.  2 of then have done me from 2004-16, through uni, social isolation, & served as only source of entertainment!  Been sharing my Mums laptop more recently.  The third is my Uncles as it belonged to my Gran (she could not understand it).  My friend is a technician and he is going to sort the one I am using at the mo as it needs a new part (he is a very busy guy so I am so grateful).  Sister started college in Aug and hers was fixed after three years being idle for a mere £60- no one dealt with it, til I  took it in & now it is better than new with windows 10 etc...

Such a long explanation!  I really hope you get your own machine, it is so nice having something that belongs to just you.  Is way too easily taken for granted

9. JoannaBlackburn profile image81
    JoannaBlackburnposted 2 weeks ago

I'm using an ancient laptop for all of my writing.  So it depends what you want to use it for if its useless or not.  The Dell Pecision I was given is huge and heavy, but has been better than any other laptop I have used.  So don't think of them as worthless, clean them up and post them for sell.  If you pull the hard drive you won't get much, so look for an article on how to wipe the hard drive clean. 
    If you decided you don't want to mess with them, there are many parents of special needs children who can use them.  I can connect you to some of these support groups that would appreciate them.  Just let me know.

10. stephenteacher profile image82
    stephenteacherposted 2 weeks ago

The sad thing is, if they are ancient, nobody wants them. And that means the best thing you can do is dispose of them properly.

Do you know any mixed media artists? They might want them. Just remember to wipe the hard drive of any personal info.

working