jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)

un-publishing an article with just "proof read" normal?

1. DavidEastwick profile image60
    DavidEastwickposted 7 weeks ago

Due to dyslexia, I have a constant spell check and I use Grammarly to bring up often used mistakes. I do of course proofread articles before posting.
    I have read through my article and restructured a few places but the only thing I could see was the word optimising was being flagged as spelt incorrectly according to the editor, however that is the correct spelling.   
    The worse thing is I have already advertised the review (my first on the site and the first of many) and rather than telling me there is an issue, and what the issue is, it was unpublished with just a couple of words!   
    Not a great first experience, is this the norm for the site?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 7 weeks ago

If you got this after writing or rvising the article and submitting it for quality assessment, it would not be unusual.  If there are more than a few errors they will fail it on that.

DavidEastwickposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Thing is I could not find any errors and was a little taken aback by the two-word feedback given the time I take in writing a review.
      Guess I am a little thin-skinned at the minute lol

3. paradigmsearch profile image92
    paradigmsearchposted 7 weeks ago

A few thoughts...

UK spellchecker or US spellchecker?

You can paste it into Google Drive for US and see how much red comes up. Page all the way up and down a few times and give it several seconds. Also deliberately misspell something to trigger it into action.

And here's a question I don't know the answer to. Does HP allow UK English by UK writers or is only American English allowed? Come to think of it, same question applies as to Australia.

I noticed I ended one of my sentences with a preposition; I am a dead man. big_smile

I do use Google docs for initial article writing, but would not think they will check for usa spelling hmmm this could be problematic.

1. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

And Canada eh...oops

1. paradigmsearch profile image92
          paradigmsearchposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Never heard of 'em.

2. SheilaMilne profile image95
        SheilaMilneposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I always use UK spelling. I'm too long in the tooth to learn anything different.

That is a relief, it was one thing I was worrying may be the mysterious reason behind them unpublishing my article and banishing it to silicon hell lol
          I have posted in the forum asking for help passing the QAP and the feedback thus far is that I did not have a space between new paragraphs, remove the rating panel (As it is meant for recipes, not reviews...oops) and to drop the link to the game I was reviewing.
          Have done all three (the latter being quite strange as its common practice to link back to the product you are reviewing but I can see how that may be considered spammy for a first review)
          Here is hoping the third time is the charm, I have another review I want to submit and I should be writing a third rather than stressing about what on earth is causing an editor to be so against my reviews to unpublish them and not tell me why. ( I have yet to develop the thick skin that seems required on this site lol)

2. psycheskinner profile image81

There are probably errors you can't see, I could take a look at it if you want.  I could DM you an email address.

That is appreciated, I have a "help me get through QAP" post that the site generated for me https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … vive-knife and have done the 3 edits another user suggested, with luck, it passes this time.
        In the meantime, I am about to sort out posting my second review here and hope that i do not get the same level of stress as my first one!

3. psycheskinner profile image81

I think your text does need a lot of fine-tuning to be quite grammatically correct, example below:

This is one of the most fun [experiences] I have had [playing] a [V.R., or spell it out and then put the acronym in parentheses]multiplayer game in a long time! Bold words I know[,] so let me back it up with fact[s].

My usual approach to reviewing [VR] is to [make] a [“]first try[“] video, [and alo] make some notes. If the game is complex[,] then a couple of days later I do another test, [and] repeat [this process] until I get a good feel for the game. Well[,] in this game I had so much fun on the first try that I was straight back in after the video was uploaded (the downside is I do not have any notes [LOL]).

Th[is] game is very basic in concept, you play either 1v1 or 2v2 [it might be worth explaining what this means for noobs like me, is it one versus one?] Attempting to throw sharp objects into the other player before they throw them into you. There is plenty of destructible cover between [he two players] that you will soon find yourself ducking behind a table as the door you were behind shatters.[--I am not quite sure what this phrase mean]

Usually, [in] a game where you throw[] things, [you end up inadvertently] putting your controllers, [TV], breakables, and small furry friends at risk. [In] Knife Club that is not the case. The throwing mechanic is the real star here, it is frankly perfect[. Y]ou do not need to use a full throwing arc.

That would be a significant change to my voice. If this is the reason they rejected my review then the site really is not for me.
        I have Dyslexia and do try to ensure I never let it get the best of me, I use spell checkers and even a grammar checker (that may be letting me down here) but grammar will never be an area I can fully get my head around.
        I assumed the grammar rules where more in regards to fiction or news articles rather than reviews (which should always be the reviewer's opinion and in the reviewer's words).
        If this IS the reason they rejected it then I would assume they would have told me as that is some significant editing, hell almost a re-write.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
          psycheskinnerposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

You don't have to use the exact words I did, but your sentences do have to be correctly constructed, capitals and commas are used as need etc. It is an article to inform a stranger, not a text or email to a friend.  As a person who does both, I would consider all the changes I suggested to be technical proofreading not editing.

This is where there may be an issue, there are a few reasons why I started writing reviews, most not really relevant here but, one of them is that reviews seemed to fall into two brackets.
            1) Too short and pointless.
            2) Too unfeeling, you wonder if the review is a gamer of it is simply a job, which in turn makes you not trust the review.
            the latter is far more common and many games that have had glowing professional reviews have turned out to be a waste of cash and absolutely not what the reviewer made out.
            My style is one gamer reviewing for other gamers, so you may have hit the nail on the head when you say it should, for this site, be written to a stranger. That is incompatible with my style and I hope it is not the case.
            I guess I just need to wait and see if they pull my article for the 3rd time.
            Would be nice if they actually told me what the issue is.

2. DavidEastwick profile image60

Also, my apologies if my reply came off hostile, that was not my intention.

2. snakeslane profile image81

Hi David, the changes psycheskinner suggests make your article easier to read and to understand.  Doesn't look like a total rewrite to me, just a few tweaks really. It's worth a shot.

To me there's a difference between correcting spelling mistakes, removing elements that are not in line with site policy and completely changing my sentence and language structure. It is also not something, if I wished to do, I would be able to replicate. I think it may be that I and the site are just incompatible, I am after a place to share my opinions on games, they are after professional-grade articles. 
            While typing this out I just got the email to tell me that my article has again failed to be featured and is pulled yet again from public access. Worse is that again the person pulling it has decided to not actually say why (this is the bit that really angers me)
            I think psycheskinner is right in what the site wants me to do (and I really am grateful for the time taken to check through my review. I just do not want to change my style to that degree which means me and the site may just part ways.

1. snakeslane profile image81

I understand your frustration, hope that works out for you.Personally I stick with Hub Pages because it offers a relatively easy to navigate, free online publishing opportunity, with lots of community support.

As I say it is clear my style is not compatible, that is not a critique of the site which seems to have a good community just is what it is. The frustration is that the QA person decided that the hours of work I do on each and every review was not worth 5 or 10 minutes to explain why they were rejecting it.
                I need to look for a place with nicer less financially motivated goals/staff.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
                  TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Just one quick point.  What good does it do to write something on an internet site if only one or a few people will be reading it?  You can do the same thing with email and write however you please.  To do well here, search engines need to rate your work well or nobody will see it.  One of the thing Google requires is top notch grammar and spelling.  So, it is not the site that is the issue, it is meeting Google's guidelines, which obviously you prefer not to do.  That being the case, I think you'll have a hard time finding any site that will post your work.

Well usually my reviews are seen by a little under 500 people(will be more but I can only track from social media links) , to email each would take some time. The steam curator that usually links my VR reviews is around 5k strong too, however, this is only for steam reviews, I am also reviewing ps4 games and as such require an external site to collate all my reviews on.
                    Correcting my grammar is also not a case of want to or not, I am mentally incapable of learning the correct grammar methods, I did state I am dyslexic, that is why I use tools like Grammarly to ensure I have commas and full stops right and I not i . What I mean by one gamer reviewing for other gamers does not mean l literally one to one lol, just a more casual and honest approach than is seen in the games reviewing business at the minute.

2. paradigmsearch profile image92

HubPages is indeed a tough town. But as others have said, it is because Google is a tough town.

As for the editors, there is indeed a wide range of personalities. big_smile

HubPages is trying the best they can; I don't always agree with them either.

What do I do when I don't agree with them? I put the disputed article on my own website. Then whatever happens, happens.

I think the site is more geared towards making money than sharing in hobbies and interests, that could be the issue.

1. theraggededge profile image100
                      theraggededgeposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

And a lot of us are very glad about that big_smile

But you are right, it's no longer a hobby site. HubPages is doing its utmost to become a site for professional writers. Unfortunately, that doesn't always fit in with everybody's needs or desires.

Having said that, HubPages is a great place to try out different styles, but it has to be within the framework of acceptable English language skills. That doesn't mean you can't allow your personality to shine through, but it does mean paying attention to the basic requirements of the site.

From what you say, a personal blog would be a happier place for you. Then you would have full autonomy over your own publishing strategy.

2. paradigmsearch profile image92

You are right. No money means no servers and no employees. No servers and no employees means no website.

I did a search for: gaming reviews sites

If you don't care about the money, looks like there are a lot of sites that will take any reviews you wish to write for free. While you're at it, make sure whoever you pick also has an active gamer forum to have fun and share in. smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image99
                      Marisa Wrightposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Why would  you expect it to be any different?   If you want to write on a site that's not focussed on earning money, then you need to find a dedicated gaming site, run by enthusiasts, who are doing it for love.  It costs a lot of money to run a site like HubPages, so of course they need to focus on earning the money to pay for it.

working