jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Does anyone use Alexa for Research?

1. anusha15 profile image88
    anusha15posted 12 days ago

Has anyone tried Alexa? For researching which websites are doing well, what percentage of site's traffic is organic? Which keywords are getting that traffic?

1. theraggededge profile image99
      theraggededgeposted 12 days agoin reply to this

No. What skill does it require?

anusha15posted 12 days agoin reply to this

No special skills are required. All your general browsing knowledge. Alexa gives a lot of data for free, and there is a paid version too. There is the ranking of a website along with some statistics like, which keyword contributed the most to the traffic.
        I was wondering if people in HubPages community were already being benefitted and if I could get a tip or two smile

theraggededgeposted 12 days agoin reply to this

Doesn't work in the UK sad

Edit: LOLOL! I just realised you are referring to Alexa the website. I thought you meant Amazon Echo, which we also call 'Alexa'.

You should have heard me asking 'her' questions big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. tritrain profile image82
            tritrainposted 12 days agoin reply to this

Hahah!  "Alexa, tell me about Alexa..."

theraggededgeposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Yep, and all I was getting was "Hmm... I don't know that one." Silly me big_smile

I got all excited there for a minute too.

2. anusha15 profile image88
            anusha15posted 9 days agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile
            Happens some times. smile

2. tritrain profile image82
      tritrainposted 12 days agoin reply to this

Not since they were bought out by Amazon, so a while.  But it was easily gamed by people and wasn't all that accurate.  It was interesting to see certain sites dropping in viewership, always wanted to know why.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 days ago

There was a time when Alexa provided good data but it is based on users, and their users are now a small group with a heavy tech focus.  So i don't think their data represents the normal online population anymore.

anusha15posted 9 days agoin reply to this

That was an interesting input. I wasn't aware. Thanks.

3. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 days ago

As Psycheskinner says, I've always understood that most of Alexa's data is based on its users, who are largely internet nerds.  That's not the audience I write for so it's not much use to me.

working