The difference between HubPages Ad Program and Google Adsense

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. katleigh profile image80
    katleighposted 6 years ago

I've heard people talk about turning off Adsense to earn more from the Hubpages program, but I'm really confused about how this works. Does HubPages pay better than Adsense? I thought Adsense was required to make money on HubPages and the two incomes were added up in your daily earnings. Can someone direct me to a guide or explain how this works?
    I've made a few dollars here, and my question is not about the basic premise of how to earn money, but rather the difference between the two ad programs. Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but I'm really confused.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Adsense is compulsory.   The HP Earnings Program is optional.

If you use Adsense only, then you'll see several Adsense ads on each Hub.  Earnings from those ads don't go through HubPages at all - the money goes directly into your Adsense account.

If you activate the HP Ads program, you'll still see some Adsense ads on each Hub - but most of them are supplied by the HP Ads program, not directly by Adsense.  You'll have only ONE real Adsense ad on each Hub, and that will be right at the bottom of the Hub, where hardly anyone will see it.  So your Adsense income will virtually dry up, but you'll be earning from the HP Ads program instead (and that income is paid by HubPages). 

Most people find the revenue from HP Ads is greater than the revenue from Adsense alone, but it's by no means a universal thing.  Some people do better with Adsense alone.  All you can do is try it out for a while.   It's easy to switch HP Ads on and off.  A good plan is to try it for a month, then switch and try the other option for a month.  Then decide.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1...and let me add that certain topics do better on Adsense and others do better on the HP program.  I use Adsense only and until the current glitch (which I hope will end soon), I've done much better there...but I've heard many people say it just hasn't worked for them.

1. GetitScene profile image74
        GetitSceneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Interesting point. Do you have an opinion about what topics do better with Adsense and which do better with the HP program? Or are you speaking generally to make a point?

3. paperfacets profile image85
    paperfacetsposted 6 years ago

I use the HP Ad Program only and my earnings have been going up since May this year. I have not taken a hit as some people have describe as happening the last few days.
    It takes a lot of micro observing to decide watch way to go and when, but the explanation of how many Adsense ads you get when HP is off is good new info for me. I had no idea that the choice of any ad coming with my article is selected by HP and not Adsense. Is that the right thinking? HP has their own algorithm?
    Habits of your audience is the key.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

HP has their own ad placement software, which decides where to place the ads for best return.   I'm sure that when HP chooses to display an Adsense ad, the actual content of the ad would be determined by Adsense, though.

And for clarity, you don't use the HP Ads program ONLY - that's not possible.  Adsense is compulsory for every Hubber.  It's just that you'll earn little or nothing from it if you have HP Ads switched on.

1. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So are those two incomes combined to reach the payout threshold? Or do they pay separately?

Your Adsense income is paid directly into your Adsense account, it doesn't go through HubPages at all.

Thanks Marisa. Is there a payment threshold on the Adsense account?

Yes, it's $100.

Thank you.

4. whcobb profile image86
    whcobbposted 6 years ago

All I know is in getting more daily through the hubpages ads than adsense. Not sure if you need adsense to earn on HP but I have both. I've been wondering why my ad impressions and earnings have drastically dropped in the last week but I am pretty sure that it is because I turned on HP ads

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)