jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

The difference between HubPages Ad Program and Google Adsense

1. katleigh profile image92
    katleighposted 7 days ago

I've heard people talk about turning off Adsense to earn more from the Hubpages program, but I'm really confused about how this works. Does HubPages pay better than Adsense? I thought Adsense was required to make money on HubPages and the two incomes were added up in your daily earnings. Can someone direct me to a guide or explain how this works?
    I've made a few dollars here, and my question is not about the basic premise of how to earn money, but rather the difference between the two ad programs. Forgive me if this sounds like a silly question, but I'm really confused.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 days ago

Adsense is compulsory.   The HP Earnings Program is optional.

If you use Adsense only, then you'll see several Adsense ads on each Hub.  Earnings from those ads don't go through HubPages at all - the money goes directly into your Adsense account.

If you activate the HP Ads program, you'll still see some Adsense ads on each Hub - but most of them are supplied by the HP Ads program, not directly by Adsense.  You'll have only ONE real Adsense ad on each Hub, and that will be right at the bottom of the Hub, where hardly anyone will see it.  So your Adsense income will virtually dry up, but you'll be earning from the HP Ads program instead (and that income is paid by HubPages). 

Most people find the revenue from HP Ads is greater than the revenue from Adsense alone, but it's by no means a universal thing.  Some people do better with Adsense alone.  All you can do is try it out for a while.   It's easy to switch HP Ads on and off.  A good plan is to try it for a month, then switch and try the other option for a month.  Then decide.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 days agoin reply to this

+1...and let me add that certain topics do better on Adsense and others do better on the HP program.  I use Adsense only and until the current glitch (which I hope will end soon), I've done much better there...but I've heard many people say it just hasn't worked for them.

3. paperfacets profile image92
    paperfacetsposted 6 days ago

I use the HP Ad Program only and my earnings have been going up since May this year. I have not taken a hit as some people have describe as happening the last few days.
    It takes a lot of micro observing to decide watch way to go and when, but the explanation of how many Adsense ads you get when HP is off is good new info for me. I had no idea that the choice of any ad coming with my article is selected by HP and not Adsense. Is that the right thinking? HP has their own algorithm?
    Habits of your audience is the key.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 days agoin reply to this

HP has their own ad placement software, which decides where to place the ads for best return.   I'm sure that when HP chooses to display an Adsense ad, the actual content of the ad would be determined by Adsense, though.

And for clarity, you don't use the HP Ads program ONLY - that's not possible.  Adsense is compulsory for every Hubber.  It's just that you'll earn little or nothing from it if you have HP Ads switched on.

1. snakeslane profile image82
        snakeslaneposted 6 days agoin reply to this

So are those two incomes combined to reach the payout threshold? Or do they pay separately?

Your Adsense income is paid directly into your Adsense account, it doesn't go through HubPages at all.

Thanks Marisa. Is there a payment threshold on the Adsense account?

Yes, it's $100.

Thank you.

4. whcobb profile image92
    whcobbposted 6 days ago

All I know is in getting more daily through the hubpages ads than adsense. Not sure if you need adsense to earn on HP but I have both. I've been wondering why my ad impressions and earnings have drastically dropped in the last week but I am pretty sure that it is because I turned on HP ads

working