Why the HUB Ad Program Kills Adsense

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 12 years ago

I think it is related to images being used for the HUB ads and Google ads. When I turned off the Hub ads my adsense revenue rose significantly.

I think it is because the block of adsense ads to the right of the column of text below the title returned to text based rather than image based. I think the users get bombarded with images, especially the ones that flash and change, and learn to ignore them.

The text based ads are better because the user is given three options and they read the text.

I personally don't think the image based ads work. The hub ads simply don't pay enough $4-$7 per thousand impressions.

It would be good to have an option to only have text based Google ads on your pages.

I have also noticed that the Google ads are very poorly targeted compared with previousy. Frankly most of the links are simply unrelated and are generic ads that no one would click.

Any thoughts?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The reason your AdSense revenue declines under the HubPages Ad Program is that you go from having 4 AdSense units with your publisher id in them to 1, as explained here:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hpads-appearance

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4941681.gif

AdSense competes on price against other ads in the peach colored locations, so while you may still have AdSense ads running the money earning from those is distributed through the HubPages Ad Program.

It's true that some authors may earn less under the HubPages Ad Program.  You are welcome to switch it on or off any time.

2. TerryGl profile image57
      TerryGlposted 12 years ago

What you are saying has merit.

Obviously Hubpages are of the same view.

I notice during my 60% share that I am served with the new ad program.

However, during Hubpages 40% share they are only showing Google ads.

It is apparent what is good enough for our hubs, is not good enough for our Host.

They obviously turn off their new ad program during their share.

1. WannaB Writer profile image88
        WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have always been confused about how you know when it's HubPages share and when it's your share. How is it timed? Is there a consistent time of day or month that belong to each? I've always wondered how the 40% / 60% works.

1. TerryGl profile image57
          TerryGlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you hover your mouse over the hub and right click you will see view source. Thats the html code of the page and you can see which adsense id is showing.

3. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

The text-based ads are penny ads.  I prefer the regular picture Adsense ads as they pay more per click.  I've had the HP Ads since the middle of March, and my Adsense earnings didn't seem to have been affected.. but it was probably just a fluke.  I was hoping April would give me the real picture on how HP Ads affected my Adsense earnings, but April is proving a very low traffic month as Google Panda rolled out in Europe.  Low traffic means low impressions and low HP Ads earnings.  So far this month, my HP Ads earning are just a little over my Adsense earnings.. but my combined earnings from both Adsense and HP Ads have already surpassed my Adsense earnings in March by 25%.. considering March was my highest Adsense earnings month.  So for me, if I look at it that way it's a win win situation.  And no, HP Ads has not killed my Adsense earnings............... yet. big_smile

4. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Regardless of the Hpads/adsense conflicts, it is amazing at how poorly adsense is now performing here!

Ive seen a drop of about 50% in CTR rate and a drop in ePM of $6-$8! ... amazing!

5. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 12 years ago

How much of that is due to the quality of traffic we are getting overall with our hubs being further down the page or pages in search?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One should be able to compare CPC and ePM across ad networks and properties. My placement in serps shouldnt be necessary for the comparison across so many properties The change in regional location of viewers would heavily hurt both factors, probably many of my ads dont have good returns for international traffic... etc etc

But , you ar eright, Its true that I personally have lost the traffic from the desirable terms I aimed for which previously led to a $12-$15 ePm - so I drop isnt surprising, but the drop in CTR..which was never very high anyway to a sub %1 points to issues with ad placement and serving.

Its prob best to keep ad blocks out of content - as shown by other sites hurt by panda, and thats going to hurt our CTR... but something else just isnt quite right. I was under the impression that YB was an optimization system, I can report a below 1% Ctr - a previous poster stated under .05% - even a mediocre publisher can usually hit 2% just getting lucky.

I dont see an easy solution though! only so many places to stick ad blocks...

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
          lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is so hard to decide how well the ads are performing for me right now.  My traffic on Hubpages over my entire account is down to about 1/3 of the traffic I was getting before, but my earnings from Adsense/HPads is down more than that.

But that is true across the board, that the loss in earnings is not proportional to the traffic loss.

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm finding that too. But I also noticed outsiders complaining of a similar loss - say traffic down 60% but adsense earnings down 80% - ie not in direct proportion.

I didn't think we were allowed to talk about CTR and stuff but mine is way down and has been since Panda I. If I get a half percent ctr these days I am doing well!

6. Teylina profile image60
      Teylinaposted 12 years ago

Wasn't going to comment, but sunforged forced me; 2% for a mediocre pub sounds great. Rosie has tried to help me, and I had pic ads for a short while after I e-mailed the HP team re problems, but I've been on 4 mos, pub'd 13 and cannot get clear w/adsense, hence, can't be eligible for HP ads; have logged tax info, and thought paypal was set up, but just discovered ads have all disappeared and I not only still don't have an adsense acct after following team's instructions, I cannot sign in to paypal because it says my info is incorrect; likewise, adsense. I'm not pub'g any more, and I don't want to pull out, but I'm feeling less and less challenged and more and more victimized--I'd just like to see everything in place the way it should be--earnings will follow or not. Getting fed up. Book reviews, etc ready to go, but not doing anything else 'till all gets straight. Still confused why ads showed for few days then disappeared and all the rest. Rosie, thanks, but have decided the errors are not mine.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teylina, if you don't have an Adsense account, it doesn't matter whether ads appear or not - you can't earn anything from any of the ads without an Adsense account. 

You might want to start a thread in the Need Help? section explaining what you've done so far, maybe we could help you work out where you're going wrong.

7. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's the ad program that's the problem.  Even with it turned off, my CTR is very, very poor.  Worse than I've ever experienced anywhere else. Which is not a great advertisement for the effectiveness of YieldBuild. Or for HubPages, for that matter.

And they're still systematically going through my hubs, and unpublishing them, a month on, with very little reason given.  And I'm pretty sure that they've changed the hub/author score algo too.

Unfortunately, having invested a certain amount of time here, I'm forced to try and comply to some degree. So as not to have completely wasted two years.  But if anybody were to ask me now if HP were a worthwhile use of their time.  I would advise them strongly, not to consider it, even for a second.

8. Teylina profile image60

Marisa, hate to show my ignorance--still haven't gotten used to threads! Faithfully, for two months, I read everything I could read before asking any questions. Finally, I used our ask help forums and have been given so much good info, advice and help, I don't know where to start thanking all of you, especially since all of you were kind enough not to make me feel as ignorant as I felt! Unfortunately, nothing worked. I finally e-mailed the HP team, because the problem seemed to be in the adsense system not accepting my phone number! Kept popping up my daughter's, yet she doesn't have an adsense account. Immediately heard back from HP team, who said it was ok, etc., and gave explicit instructions on how to proceed. (I had signed up--tried to--through HP, of course). I did as told; appeared problem fixed! Ads appeared. I had already filed tax info and went into paypal and set up paypal account. NOW--ads have all disappeared; I'm in same adsense limbo I was to start with--keeps saying "pending" (said that even w/ads!), and states I have neither an adsense or paypal account--yet all has been set up, accepted, etc. Confused, tired, and sick of dealing w/it. Thank you for your offer. I'm going to keep trying (have sent another e-mail to HP team, but they haven't had time to answer) until May 10 or so. If can't fix by then, I'm pulling out. I'm not writing another hub until fixed.

OK, let's sort out a few misconceptions first.

Ads will appear on Hubs whether or not you have an Adsense account.  Don't take the appearance or disappearance of ads as any indication of anything.

Second - you need Paypal for the HP ads program. You don't need it for Adsense. 

Third - remember that Adsense is not run by HubPages.  HP staff can give you advice on how to deal with Adsense, but they can't fix any problems.  You need to sort that out with Adsense directly.

Can you log into your Adsense account? (tip: it really doesn't matter if it's using your daughter's phone number instead of yours, they'll never ring you anyway - just accept it).

9. Teylina profile image60

Oh, Marisa, me luv--such patience! Some of my comments may have been perceived as misconceptions, but I do understand the sequencing you laid out; thank you for verifying it.

Never tried to sign on paypal UNTIL after all steps to sign on w/HP ad program after notification I was invited in. Did as told to do, AFTER signing on w/adsense before that.

Tried to access adsense again and was told had no account. Checked and found my verification (done weeks ago) pending stll. Told by adsense to verify again (3 x). Verified ea time. Was accepted ea time.

Week ago I tried to go into Adsense--was told by adsense I had to go back thru HP for further help, that I had no account!

HP said same thing you did about phone# (which I always assumed), but understood problem/ e-mailed me problem 'fixed' and were passing on info to pmt section.

Followed HP step-by-step instructions--carefully. After all, I must have adsense to sign on HP ad program!

After all steps followed, signed on paypal and accepted. Everything (each step) was verified/accepted by each entity. Score climbed a few pts; ads appeared, and I was ready to roll!

Three days later, everything gone: verifications, accounts, etc. I am, of course, still a hubber, and a lot of what I've pub'd so far might make no difference, but I don't want to pub things I think will get good hits until I think I can make some money on 'em! If that's wrong, I guess I'm in the wrong place; but I think not, since so many have commented about loss of income. I have yet to see one penny! Just frustrated. Have e-mailed team again.

Thank you for explicit sequencing; helps me know I've understood correctly and followed correctly. AND thank you for trying to help! Truly appreciate your 1,2,3 approach. It helps. But adsense says "contact HP" - that's where I am now. I'm honored several of you have tried to help so much! You've taken so much time! Thanks!

By whom? Was it an email or an on-screen message? What did it say exactly?  I've never heard of Adsense telling anyone to get help from HP, it sounds strange.

What "pmt section"?  HP has no payment section for Adsense, and HP can't pass any information to Adsense on your behalf.

10. Teylina profile image60

Thought it strange, also, but that was what it said, "contact HP" - I have a new e-mail from HP pmt sector with info same as you gave. Said to check; checked and nothing seems to have changed, but am going to "go tech" after I get off e-mails! Will try again! Thanks for pushing me a little--been ready to give up.

11. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69158 here is a link, hope this helps. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)