jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

2 featured articles in a row

1. Jamie M Ryan profile image77
    Jamie M Ryanposted 11 days ago

Hello Everyone, just stopping in to introduce myself for the first time.

Ive been on hubpages for about a year, but I am just now getting serious about making articles. Ive posted 2 articles in the past few days and both have been featured.

My QAP on both are quite lower than I want, but I am working on increasing them.

I am a part time writer and only write about topics that I am actually interested in. My main interests are games/hobbies and science/education.

Please, feel free to say hello, drop a reply, view my articles or leave a comment!

Looking forward to making new friends

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages, you've made a good start.

Just to clarify, when an article is "Featured" on HubPages, that really just means it's normal - so don't get too excited!

If an article is "unFeatured", that means it's not quite good enough.  HubPages will allow it to be published, but it will have a special "no follow" label attached to it.  That means it will be invisible - the only people who can see it are you, and anyone you send a link to.

Your goal should be to write articles that are extra good, so they are accepted for the vertical sites - that's where the money is.   Aim for 1,500 to 2,500 words, and be patient - it takes time to build traffic.  Good luck!

2. Dabby Lyric profile image81
    Dabby Lyricposted 11 days ago

Hello Jamie,

I'm a newbie and it's nice to meet you.  I'm in to writing/reading poetry and fiction.  I also dig music, art, movies and social issues.

1. Jamie M Ryan profile image77
      Jamie M Ryanposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Hi!

Thanks for replying! Hope to hear more from you soon.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 11 days ago

Keep writing articles about topics that you are passionate about. It appears that you doing that already. Keep up the good work. Also, be sure to update your articles when necessary. From my own personal experience over the past couple of years, be careful about putting too many hyperlinks in your articles. I really got into serious trouble about that back in February, 2016.

Generally, I write articles about various topics that pertain to consumer finance because that is my profession. Recently, I changed channels and wrote a hub about a city north of where I currently live. (I now live in Pittsburgh.) As it turns out, I am very passionate about that town up north as well.

Good luck in all of your writing endeavors.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
      TessSchlesingerposted 11 days agoin reply to this

I put in a lot of hyperlinks - to high brow sites that are academic, etc. I've never had them removed and virtually all my articles go to niche sites. Sorry, disagree. If you use hyperlinks to sell products, yes, I understand, but as back up to the information you're providing,  not so.

4. Gregory DeVictor profile image97
    Gregory DeVictorposted 11 days ago

Tess, the article that HubPages rejected was about online freebies. Although the hub contained about 2,000 words, I probably had circa 25 hyperlinks in the article. HubPages’ editorial staff rejected the article because it was “overly promotional” and contained too many links to third-party sites. They wanted more content and less emphasis on links. (I just checked some old emails for confirmation of what I just stated.) It looks like that you have different results on this issue than I did.

I wrote a hub recently that contained no links. However, I believed that it was not my best work and needed more attention and revising. Much to my surprise, the editors moved to ToughNickel before I could do any more work on it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 days agoin reply to this

You do know that after it's been moved to ToughNickel, you can still continue to add to and improve it?

2. TessSchlesinger profile image96
      TessSchlesingerposted 11 days agoin reply to this

I think the real issue here is that most people on hubpages associate hyperlinks with promotional material. I don't. I'm an academic. I associate links with reference sources, and that is what I use links for.

5. Jamie M Ryan profile image77
    Jamie M Ryanposted 11 days ago

Thanks for your input everybody. I do keep my hyperlinks to a minimum, as I dont link for promotional reasons, only to provide source/credit when necessary, or to recommend another page.

6. cleoaddams profile image88
    cleoaddamsposted 11 days ago

Welcome Jamie. I've been on HubPages under this account for a few months although I've been around (a previous old account) for over 5 yrs. I like it here and enjoy writing articles. Just continue to write what you're passionate about and you can't go wrong.

working